Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LunaKage

[CP] Noel Vs. Tager Matchup Discussion

Discussion About the Tager matchup goes here. First post may be edited as important information arises.

Tager is another hard one at first but it's basically because you have to fight Tager way different than you fight other characters. He's immune to half of your moveset during a lot of his moves. Also you get to respect his vortex; which is rediculous :D

Here's how I play that MU and this is what Shino did as well. Match starts: IAD back j.C. I think he literally can not do anything to stop you and sometimes (bad) Tager's 2D at you as their opener and the j.C will CH them and let you get a free crouch combo. After you are full screen you can just start optic barrelling the shit out of him until he remembers about sledge. Then, once he remembers he has that you get to try and perfectly space/time 5B for a CH combo. You can 4D sledge too but if he follows up with hammer (also projectile armor) then he will most likely hit you. If you somehow perfectly time it you can 4D him during the hammer part and get a hit. Also you can try to 4D through sledge then SR when he hammers.

Don't try to AA him everytime. His "peoples elbow" move is a good AA bait and is also a FC for him. If you block that though you can punish him.

Smarter Tager players will most likely opt for his spark bolt charge over approaching you with sledge. You can punish the recov of the charge with OB but It's probably not worth it to let him get his spark bolt so easily. So you run up to him to stop him right? Well that move has armor (except to lows and throws) and he can easily 360 you out of anything you do while approaching....except air moves ofc.

Luckily your best air to ground move is a projectile so he's already armoring that a lot of the time. But let's say you do get to start pressure on him. Get ready to use 5B and jump cancel it a ton on most Tagers. They are spamming that grab like its the only thing he's got and it's most likely going to come out at the next gap in your pressure. He has a AA grab too (623C) but if you jc j.A I'm pretty sure you just beat that move by slapping his hand before it becomes active. Also if you start drive pressure keep d.2D in mind to dodge 360 attempts.

If you stay a little over 5B max range away from him you can kind of dance around in that area and see if he feels like whiffing any normals. His normals are pretty big but also pretty slow so you can often just slap him for whiffing them.

If you get caught in his vortex you get to play rock paper scissors with him. backdash beats 5A, 360, and maybe 5B? (his little boot kick) but loses to 5C and probably 5D. Jump beats 360 and loses to 5A (you get caught in jump startup). Block loses to 360 and...blocks everything else. 4D beats 5A/C/D and loses to 5B/360/what ever else 4D loses to. If you feel like blowing 100 meter (or 50 on a correct guess) you can Fenrir in hopes of beating one of his moves. If he blocks you can RC and escape. If he jumps over the first hit you get punished and lose 50 meter.

Just a side note: If you often barrier block on wake up or just at all. Remember that you can't hold up while barriering to jump out of it, so you might get grabbed a lot if your trying to up back but also pressed barrier (trying to block an air unblockable).

If you get magnetized and are at neutral still. Don't jump. Either spam backdash or wait for him to whiff one of his vaccum moves and slap him while you're getting sucked in.

Tager has lot's of gimmicks. You pretty much have to fall for all of them before you can understand what to do about them so go ahead and be ready to be getting grabbed in the most awkward ways for a while.

The last piece of advice as always for beating Tager with Noel is to pick Mu 12.

Some videos of my basic strategy against him
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWGV7WZioKs&feature=youtu.be

http://youtu.be/hgZIV1UtuUk?t=11m39s

Somethings I didn't do here (mostly bcuz of netplay and sometimes bcuz I'm just being bad) are when you CH 5B him you can go into 5D or 3C and get a lot more dmg than just doing chamber shot like I was doing. Also when it came to defending against Tager I did pretty awful. But the entire point of the strategy is that you basically never get put into the Tager vortex so you won't have to defend against him as much.

This isn't really a Noel specific strategy either. If you watch a lot of vs Tager videos you will see a lot of the other rush downs doing something similar and running away a lot if they can.