Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CP] Valkenhayn vs Mu-12

Ah I haven't posted here and this seems to be the matchup I play the most.

This matchup is in Valkenhayn's favour.

Obviously don't try to play the poke game with Mu what you wanna do is usually catch her in the recovery of attacks and start the offense there or catch her off guard using wolf movement. If she's using Totsuka, you can try to move around it, that way it stops the Mu from getting onto you easily, but you do need to keep note of the stein placements if you want to avoid the laser.

Remember Mu's pressure and mixup is rather stale so you don't have to look out for much. Once she has committed to a C normal she has failed in delivering mixup and she's gonna either go back to neutral to build more lasers, or she's going to continue to try and simply poke you with 5C to get random hits. In neutral it's fine, you can use a defensive wolf movement option to get away, but in the corner it's harder. You can try something like hj.D > 7D but she may be able to get you with j.C / j.2C, and that'll just give her a whole new combo, whilst keeping you in the corner.

If she uses Habaya from at least midscreen range you can wj.66D over it, hit her with j.C and get your combo. The recovery on that special isn't too great, though of course if she's full screen away you won't be able to do anything about it. It's also difficult to do so if there are lasers around. Speaking of lasers, in situations it's gonna be difficult for you to move around normally so it's easy to become over reliant on wj.66D movements, but take caution doing so. It's not very difficult for Mu to try and air throw you out of this, or simply anti air you. She can also stop you with 2B if you consider just running towards her. She could use 5C and 6C too, but for them to commit to those moves you'd have to be abusing the ground movement a lot because those moves do have some recovery (5C isn't as bad but can lose to 4D/7D > wj.A. 6C leaves her wide open).

When you have Mu locked down, that's where another difficulty arises, her DP. Make sure after your knockdowns you try to get in w5C range so you can mix it between brjA or w5C (which will make her DP whiff at the right distance). It'll clash if you miscalculate so be wary. Even at that range you're not completely safe because her reversal DD will still catch you from that range, and there's nothing stopping the Mu from doing dash DP on her wakeup.

Great writeup dude. Fortunately this is a matchup I never have to deal with. It seems like a royal pain in the ass. At least I'll be prepared now!

Using safe jump setups are fine on Mu also, now that her DP isn't 1f guard point. You don't want to rely on w5C oki.

Match start, I normally don't like retreating because it gives her the chance to setup (not ruling it out). I prefer to wait, or advance. (options obviously vary depending on what the Mu does) Once she gets a lot of steins down, the neutral will be even more difficult.