Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CP] Valkenhayn vs Rachel

When she already got bats or loebia out, I usually wait for her to do something then do w66D or another way to get in in wolf in order to be certain I'll get on her face and she won't be able to activate her poles because of the recovery.

Throwing out 3C>6D in neutral works quite great in order to surprise your opponent. Plus, 3C kills the frog which makes it quite convenient. It however loses to loebia unless you're willing to spend more wolf gauge and can be easily dealt with if you abuse it making you predictable.

Anyway, could you elaborate more your troubles against her ?

I mainly struggle when she's fullscreen, has lots of wind meter to work with and has pumpkin out. I feel like she's got so many different options to cover Valk's approach but maybe I just need to be more patient overall (or stay on her so that she doesn't get that spacing). I also struggle with pressure in the corner against her, but that's probably just my lack of Rachel knowledge as well as Valk's lack of defensive tools aside from CA and superjump > rasen out.

With UFGT coming up in a month I am studying matchups I already know, but this is a matchup completely foreign to me and I don't want to go into it blind given how scary of a character Rachel is.

So what is the general overview? How should Valkenhayn go about this matchup? Is her zoning hard to deal with? Any reversal type shenanigans is should be looking out for? I have so many questions! Thanks in advance!

It's a bit hard to properly give you tips about that matchup. It's more or less even I would say but it's quite straightforward.
If you really want to study that matchup, try to play a Rachel player. Ask if there is at least a Rachel sub in your scene. If there isn't, your only choice is the one that sucks the most: Playing online. But it's better than naught.

The only tips I can give you is that you should always keep an eye on her wind gauge as she needs it to reset pressure, mixup and/or combo.
How difficult her zoning is depends entirely of your playing style.
She doesn't have a proper reversal either so once you get in, don't let her escape.

Disjointed notes about Valkenhayn v. Rachel:

• This match-up is really heavy on neutral.
  • As a Rachel player going against Valkenhayn, I have no qualms about sitting back and waiting for you to approach me.
  • In wolf you can threaten just by moving forward. Using wolf braking + hopping there are many ways to make Rachel whiff trying to zone you out. Experiment and find out the different angles you can create with/without wolf. Once you make Rachel whiff *something*, punish hard and never let up.
  • I believe in wolf form you cannot block. So at 50+ heat Rachel has access to Tempest Dahlia. TD is the panic button for Rachel but you can easily jump over it or use super invuln at a certain distance.
  • If you are the receiving end of pressure, good luck. You definitely don't want to get put into the corner. If you have to burst, I think the best time to do that against Rachel is when she has 0 wind.

I'll get a proper match-up post up soon for Rachel boards so I will cross-post stuff when I get the time.

Happy Rachel fighting.