Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CP] Tsubaki vs Bang

Since this is pretty empty here:

This is one of Tsubakis hardest matchups

Some things that I struggled with:

- actually approaching Bang

You will either get hit by the nails or his dumb normals

If you manage to jump in and try a j.5C he can use 5A or any other normal and it will hit/trade (trade will not be in your favor as he can start pressure)

- getting out of his pressure

No matter how often a Bang player tells me: "Bangs offense has so many holes you can just mash out"

I don't believe that anymore

2 Overheads and 2 lows to look out for and he can just reset pressure by microdashing with 5A or 2A after a good normal plus he has a command grab

My strategy to win (thankfully I managed to get some wins):

Pressure him until he dies, play smart, don't risk anything and punish him for mistakes (sloppy jump ins)

Use your whole set of offense tools: Charge cancels, kara-throws, frame traps, command throw

The problem with the pressure is that if you leave too many gaps he will just 5A out of it (god I hate this move so much)

Because if your opponent already knows when to mash its literally game over for you

It feels very hard to win in this matchup.

Anybody got some matchup experience to share?

So...basically the usual gameplan of "pin them down, don't let them play, and cross your fingers"? =/

I played against Bang often during the release of the game but that was when I wasn't so good. Each time I encounter Bang now, I'm mainly dodging and using Valk (lol).

Remember to barrier block and try to push him out, and use that chance to backwards IAD and get out. Typically they like to end their pressure with 623B, it's pretty unsafe especially if you IB. You can punish that shit with Dash 5A (Maybe something even better), but if you're too slow they can follow up with j.623B and just get counter hit.

Also, if you block Ashura, many bangs like to go for a drive after (which is lol), just run up and grab them, but of course this depends on the player y'know. Ashura is very difficult to punish anyway. As you said nails not only hinder movement but it hinders charging too. I'd try to move around a lot in the matchup, even if it feels like you're jumping too much.

If you want to avoid Bang's command grab super, you need to have an attack already out, or you can OD through it. If you're in the air you'll most likely lose so be observant with his meter.

Combo related stuff: the 5C > 2CC > 236C. 2CC needs to be slightly delayed otherwise 236C may whiff.

Bangs neutral game wrecks Tsubakis gameplan of chargin

Getting some cover with j.236A or [4]6A is not recommendable since Bang can just throw a nail and get in

Instant blocking and barrier is probably the main defense system for every char (except maybe vs Tager)

But since I was fighting this Bang player online (he was 3 bars but that did not feel like 3 bars to be honest) I screwed up most of the instant blocking and some DP motions on reaction

So in the end we can basicly throw this matchup on the big pile named "Not in Tsubakis favor"

Also, if you block Ashura, many bangs like to go for a drive after (which is lol), just run up and grab them, but of course this depends on the player y'know. Ashura is very difficult to punish anyway.

Actually, I was doing some experimenting with this, and it doesn't seem TOO bad. You've got a couple of choices here. The best one, I think, is to just spend a little bit of time in training learning to IB it. If you can do that, you do a 5C punish without too much trouble (though it won't be a CH). Since it's a super, you can just kinda let go of the stick during superflash and then move back to block at the right point in the animation and IB it, I believe. (I actually didn't test this when I was messing around. I don't think I was ever holding back before the superflash, so maybe this won't work?)

The LOLs way to punish Asura is to mash out 236236C during the superflash. :P

The only thing Tsubaki has got going for her in this matchup (and this should be sounding familiar by now) is her DP.

If there's any hope in this matchup it would be to get control of neutral so you don't just die miserably. His air options are really strong, between 3 air movements, nails, and his air normals. j.B's range is pretty nuts and fast.

crossup kick will kill any attempt to use dps or AAs if you tech predictably midscreen, so try not to end up in this situation, afaik you can't do anything about it.

if you try to use dp during pressure, you might find yourself losing to overhead attempts a lot more than you think. his overhead hits standing characters on 18f, so the gap from 5b to 5c is almost nothing if you're standing (which you will be if you try to DP). His pressure in general is pretty hard to get out of. Barrier can help, but his 5a stagger game is quite strong, and 6a pressure resets are too (as far as I can tell, basically a better version of our 6b).

anyway, his close up game isn't weak by any means so if you lose in neutral a lot you're going to lose a lot, period.

So focus on neutral... If you commit to anything in neutral you could get your ass handed to you by D nails. Sometimes you can find your way through the D nails without having to block or get hit by them. It's always best to attempt, I think, because blocking them in the air is always much better than blocking them on the ground. On occasion if you do have a projectile out when nails are thrown it can cancel one nail and that can lead to a pretty big hole for you to challenge any attempts to get in. (when this does happen, I feel like it almost always results in my getting a ch or pressure - overall it's kind of hard to do though, and this probably happens because it's rare for D nails to be anything but a free in.)

anyway I think the name of the game is nails, what to do about them. if you are close at all when he throws nails you're kinda obviously screwed so try to keep a distance. unfortunately this can make your gameplay in neutral kinda stale, but well, whatever...

Again, all I can say is that this is what to focus on. The onus is on you to learn the matchup, for sure, but maybe there's a solid way to play neutral without autodying, but I've never found it, only seen glimpses of it.