Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CP] Tsubaki vs Carl

What is the verdict on this matchup? I'm no good player but I've been having problems against Carl, especially in neutral. Is there something Tsubaki should be doing to give him trouble? I did get some usage out of j.214a and 241A to stop his approaches. 241D 236D works well to blow through his orb or maybe a Nirvana startup move. I'm not sure if it's actually a go to thing. Delayed wakeups seem to help deal with his setups. I'm not sure what Tsubaki should do to try to establish control. He seems to get in or play keep-away pretty well. 

There are so very little Carls that currently exist on this planet that it is actually difficult to give concrete information on this matchup. Most discussions about Carl I have had with other people just lead to theorycrafting.

I have fought a total of 5 Carls since I started playing the Blazblue series of games.

I fought 3 in the last 4 days so I was like O_o. I've been playing CP only about a month but only have had maybe 2 sets with Carls before. He can air to air all day long. 

Jesus you must be really lucky. I have not seen any for the last few weeks in any of the online modes, and the only time I encountered one before that was multiple months before those few weeks.

I should make sure to add the next however many Carls I meet next as friends to secure matchup experience.

I haven't really played any GOOD Carls, unfortunately, but here's what I know:

Don't be afraid to punch the doll in the face with with any move that you can jump cancel on hit (okay, 6C would be a bad idea) - 5A/5B/5C are all fine. It depletes the doll's meter and may interrupt whatever she's doing, depending. Be careful of the moves with armor, but as long as you jump cancel you should be okay.

As usual, pin him in the corner and don't let him play. You'll need to be extra careful to keep him there, because while he doesn't have a reversal, really, he can use B Vivace to 'roll' out of the corner after a neutral tech. 2B meaty is the best way to keep him honest here. (The meaty timing doesn't need to be all that precise to stop Vivace, but if he tries to jump out instead you'll be thankful if you time it right.)

Fireballs are useful, but watch for Con Fuoco (Drill arm) as sometimes it seems to blow through it, so be aware of where the doll is.

Don't be afraid to run away a lot and get charge. Carl isn't really that mobile since he doesn't have a ground run, and he always wants to keep near Nirvana, so learn to navigate the field around him to make time for yourself to charge. 5B-ing the doll and then IADing forward can be a good way to get past her, but don't get predictable because you can go flying straight into Brio/8D.

Whenever you're being comboed by Carl by himself, be vigilant against him doing 5B/5C > jc > IAD > j.2C for a crossup reset. If you're in the sandwich, good luck. Try to vary your wakeup options - backdash on wakeup can sometimes help here to give you another option.

If Carl is 'pushing' Nirvana forward by keeping her active and dashing against her back, 236C/D > (214D >) 22D stuff can actually ruin his day pretty good because you essentially get extra active frames as your moves hit Nirvana, and you have a pretty good chance of 'accidentally' catching Carl with them too, but don't abuse.

Punching the doll can still end up with you getting punished cause Carl can still 5C you (though it has a hurtbox) or 623C you from a safe distance. 5B IAD may work but generally Carl will place himself in such a way that you'll just get 6A'ed if you try or he'll jump and mash j.A on you, which places you in the sandwich at that point as you just went over Ada.

Projectile is not that useful, it doesn't go through Ada and it doesn't stop her from doing any of her moves like your normals can, the damage it deals is also pitiful. All you're doing with that is giving more time for Carl to get in. Though it does cancel out Volante so...there's that at least.

On wakeup you must always delay tech or you're going to be sorry cause he'll just do ridiculously easy unblockables or unreactable mixups on you. If you get knocked down in the corner and he places volante on  you, more often than not you're just going to want to block because all Carl has to do is wait for you to block it before pressing buttons himself, though the blockstun is low so if he tries anything fancy you can DP or mash him out still. He's also able to green throw you despite volante being on top of you, so be wary of that. He also has a 2D vortex in the corner and the only way to escape it is to take the risk and DP or be lucky that the Carl messes it up. 2D vortex beats every single tech option leading into an unblockable or if you tech correctly (slight delay tech) you'll be forced to block the 2D which he can turn into a 50/50 using either a fuzzy j.A or 2B, not really something you want to try and block, so especially if you have charge, DP and make an effort to get out. Dunno how reliable CA is in this case...

if you knock down Carl in the corner and the doll is right behind you, you have to be really careful with what you're doing cause he can Brio (which will beat you if you jump) or Tenerezza you on his wakeup while he's still in the invul state. Brio can be done during just the wakeup invul, while Tenerezza needs to be done from wakeup + backdash or wakeup + OD, because if Carl blocks, Tenerezza immediately stops from coming out.

I would advise using a bit more 2B/2BB and 2A than you might be used to in this matchup, also throws/command grab more. You need to do everything to stop him from ever 236B'ing. 

Do not even bother using 421A during your blockstrings as a way to reset pressure as he can 236x out, and while he'll most likely not be able to punish you, it will place him out of the corner if he was there.