Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiba

[CP1.1] Tsubaki Yayoi Questions and Answers Thread

well i wouldnt know what others are thinking but to me hitting with j214a at different hieght gives you different advantages, like say if their's hit box is higher than yours when j214 connects you will land first giving you more time. using j236 does lift you higher and leaves you with lesser untech time to follow up, however there is a great deal of untech time after 623c even if you have max proration.

Anyway I can only see it being a proration thing or gaining more positive on kd besides that I dont see why you wouldnt use j236a for more damage beside the reason listed above.

Edit trying to make it readable lol

nvm

On that note, 623C > j214A+D is kind of good option select. If 623C hits, j214A will come out. If it whiffs or is blocked, j214D will come out (and you can rapid or whatever)

It's always great to add OS to all your 236x/623x example although I feel like playing on pad discourage me from pressing certain combination.

It's always great to add OS to all your 236x/623x example although I feel like playing on pad discourage me from pressing certain combination.

wow, I didn't know that existed. Ah, i see. it's a decent defensive option. I have a habit, perhaps bad, of using RC after 623C j.214 or 623C (RC) IAD/dj rather than just 623C j.214D. 

Well in general for dp you kinda need to piano the a and d since the window to cancel is small considering your trying 2 option. Although it's not too difficult and there is quite a lax timing. Probably similar to 6c Kara throw timing.

You can always rc on confirm since people are likely to mash when you land very few people like to hit on aerial since you could always follow up with j214d

Is there a specific time and place to throw out j.236A? I notice I tend to have an over reliance on it in almost every match I play. Most times, it works to my advantage. But in cases where my opponent is actually smart, my crutch tends to be my downfall. For example, I think j.236A is the key for me to win against Ragna/Hazama. Yet when I see other Tsubaki's fight these same characters without using j.236A very much, I wonder if I'm just approaching neutral the wrong way.

its just like every other set up or tricks you may have keep them as a rarity so the mix up becomes more powerful lol, anyway I don't know how naked j236a help vs hazama it feels like you're asking to be punish. Against ragna it kinda works to stop Air dash although I feel he is quite fast and most of the time you be in a melee range neutral against ragna, is there a reason to even charge in neutral vs him.

It really depends on your opponent and how they like to approach.  j.236A does a pretty good job of shutting down air approaches, but a lot of characters can zip right under it on the ground if you don't do it very low.

This isn't a question, more as it is speculation but..

Since Tsubaki returned to her normal self at the end of CP, do you think we'll get all of the stuff we had back in Extend back? (ex. ABC specials)

We won't, that's not how balancing works ;p

Nor do I want useless things back anyways.

22D unblockable back plz.  :P

Actually, there's a lot of 'old' stuff I want back, but A/B/C specials aren't really one of them, unless they go back to CS1 style and do it right. (All B versions have projectile invulnerability!)

But Daedron is right - plot has nothing to do with balance changes.

22d unblockable combine with ct combo damage is too good, not to mention busting out that OD making it an extreme good use of burst gauge.

It must be be only me but I want j236a whiff cancel into j214d back.

Okay I have a constructive question, how can you tell when the rekka is going to side swap? For example:

(Near Corner) 5CC > 623C > 214A w > 5A > 2C > rekka

I noticed that upon landing 236B, 214B will randomly change my combos direction and now a combo that should have put my opponent in the corner has in turn returned them to neutral.

I think it depends on the height of the opponent during the combo when they are airborne. I have been doing some tests after seeing some match videos where the Tsubaki seems to have full control over what direction their combo will push the opponent towards.

I still have not gotten things down reliably though.

Okay I have a constructive question, how can you tell when the rekka is going to side swap? For example:

(Near Corner) 5CC > 623C > 214A w > 5A > rekka

I noticed that upon landing 236B, 214B will randomly change my combos direction and now a combo that should have put my opponent in the corner has in turn returned them to neutral.

I guess you mean 5A > 2C > Rekka. but in any case, delay the 236B after the 2C slightly so the opponent is a bit lower.

So from what I gathered..

Do 236B quickly to side swap, and delay it to go straight? I'll test it in training mode tomorrow.

If you use 623C > j.214B(w), you can use dash 5A to side swap.

So from what I gathered..

Do 236B quickly to side swap, and delay it to go straight? I'll test it in training mode tomorrow.

Not necessarily. Even if you do 236B quickly, you won't always side swap. It depends how high your 5A hits, and it's highly character specific too.

Characters with a small hitbox will tend to side swap more often than the others. It's kinda random if you don't delay 236B

I think if you want to swap you should use 214b direct, and if you don't delay 236b briefly.

just make sure you don't delay 214b after 236b.. that is funny. 

Just recently fought some people at AX 2014 at the Aksys booth in some casual matches. I recognized a few people from SoCal Regionals, but most of them were people who had never even touched the game who were just walking by.

I don't know why, but it took those fights to get me to realize that I keep doing the same thing on people who fall for it. Though I lost a handful of times, the people that I could feel were decent kept falling for things like combo > 3CC > command grab > 421D > 236D > command grab over and over again if I ever obtained momentum. I could tell a lot of them had never even seen Tsubaki fight before even though they were probably way more talented than I was.

It made me question whether I should keep doing something against people unfamiliar with the matchup if it continues to work. I mean, I have a ton of other options that I could be using, but if one works is there any reason why I should stop using it? Like if they never delay tech or try to roll and continue to neutral tech should I keep going for the command grab? There were only a few people who counter assaulted me out of 421D > 236D after I used it for probably the 3rd time in a row and all of them happened to be from SCR.

This really only applied to characters without a meterless reversal or for the time before they attain 50 meter. For instance, I was fighting this Amane that was giving me a hard time and I did the back and forth and back and forth until I saw that he had 50 meter and called out the reversal by faking the command grab after the knockdown.

If something works over and over, use it until they adapt. If they can't, take your free win.

Generally, you'll want to test the waters a bit and see how much experience the opponent has with Tsubaki, or with their own character in general, and adapt your gameplay accordingly.

That is pretty much what I do online and there are very few people who do adapt. This is mostly because I am pinned for half the rounds I fight online due to Tsubaki and I rarely ever get momentum. It is either a complete loss or the person I fight never learns and I win so I feel bad regardless of the outcome.

I don't know. It is like I expected people offline to not fall for things multiple times in a row, but then they did and I did not know how to feel.

Like these people would know these amazing setups and use a huge variety which made me respect them and by chance I escape and get in a hit and do my shitty command grab setup because they neutral teched once. Then I do the same thing again and again. Should I just not feel bad about it because it works and I don't get punished?

I think the rule of thumb is "As long as the person is familiar with the game, don't feel bad."   These people are expected to know how the game works and how to figure out how to beat things, even if that means "Go to training mode later and figured it out."

On the other hand, if it's someone who's all "I've never played a fighting game before!" or even "Yeah, I've played some Marvel and whatever - this looks cool but I've never played it" then IMHO this is the LAST thing you want to do, because you want them to leave feeling good about the game, even if you beat them, and just doing the same thing over and over to someone like that is going to make them unhappy and not want to play in the future.