Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zeth07

[CP] Azrael - Gameplay Discussion v.2 (Discuss Videos/Combos/Questions/etc.)

After TCL ender, late tech punishes include

3D (guaranteed blue-beat LW on non-emergency, +5 on whiff vs emergency)

6D (guaranteed blue-beat UW on non-emergency, +2 on whiff vs emergency)

662147C (catches forward rolls and quick techs, meaty +12 or more on emergency, doesn't catch back roll)

66 2A > 5A > aerial (guaranteed blue-beat into aerial on non-emergency, doesn't work from S starters, +9 on whiff vs emergency)

TCL > 6632147 catches back rolls vs everyone except for Kagura.

Why not kagura? Something to do with his wierd hitbox?

Why not kagura? Something to do with his wierd hitbox?

I should have been more clear. In order to safe jump OS Kagura's DP after TCL, you have to cancel your jump into TK Sentinel incredibly early on. If you do that, then you won't move far enough forward to catch his backroll. Ofc, you could mix up which one you do, and it's unlikely he will be able to tell. So it "can" pick up Kagura, but not without risk.

I should have been more clear. In order to safe jump OS Kagura's DP after TCL, you have to cancel your jump into TK Sentinel incredibly early on. If you do that, then you won't move far enough forward to catch his backroll. Ofc, you could mix up which one you do, and it's unlikely he will be able to tell. So it "can" pick up Kagura, but not without risk.

Ahh okay, nice to know thanks

Any tips for doing Dash TK Sentinel fast enough to safe jump ID? I can't do it consistently enough for it to be reliable for me. I'm guessing it's because I do 6632147, and that I could shorten it to 662147 and return to 5 after dashing quicker.

Also how do I confirm that I'm doing it fast enough in training mode other than recording myself doing it and testing wake up ID myself? Is there a quicker way?

Okay since this forum is apparently dead as hell, I'll try to answer as best I can. But I'm not really sure what you're asking here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any tips for doing Dash TK Sentinel fast enough to safe jump ID? I can't do it consistently enough for it to be reliable for me. I'm guessing it's because I do 6632147, and that I could shorten it to 662147 and return to 5 after dashing quicker.

Also how do I confirm that I'm doing it fast enough in training mode other than recording myself doing it and testing wake up ID myself? Is there a quicker way?

Honestly, you just need to input it as fast as you can. I just input the dash and roll my stick almost 360 asap.

As far as testing if it's fast enough to catch ID, you'll just need to test it in training mode with a recording. You can get used to how it feels execution wise when you are fast enough, or too slow.

Also, maybe test the difference by just doing a regular 214C as opposed to a TK sentinel, to see the difference in when Az execute's the move.

This is also a pretty good gauge for how fast your sentinel should be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cubPJfm2b2g#t=96

That's too slow to safejump ID I'm pretty sure

j.D > RC > j.B/C seems tourney legit.

I recently got the timing down on it and have been using it a lot lately.  I used to think it was annoyingly unstable but I haven't dropped it in a long time so I guess it's good

@LegendaryRath I took the liberty to link Azrael matches to their respective match-up threads from Evo 14 top 8.

Thanks Verimeloni!

I'm going to be MIA for a few weeks. I'll update some of the threads and quietly do the mod thing, I just wont be posting. See you guys later.

https://twitter.com/maneater_dgr/status/490339705729216512

Dogura tweeted his opinion on Azrael's matchups:

Hard - Carl

5:5 - Rachel, Hazama, Litchi, Relius, Ragna, Tager

Just a little bit easy - Everyone else

Easy - Bang, Bullet, Taokaka

I don't know - Noel

P.S: He didn't exactly say 'easy', it was more like 'thanks for your hard work' (お疲れっす).

https://twitter.com/maneater_dgr/status/490339705729216512

Dogura tweeted his opinion on Azrael's matchups:

Hard - Carl

5:5 - Rachel, Hazama, Litchi, Relius, Ragna, Tager

Just a little bit easy - Everyone else

Easy - Bang, Bullet, Taokaka

I don't know - Noel

P.S: He didn't exactly say 'easy', it was more like 'thanks for your hard work' (お疲れっす).

Pretty agreeable list all in all. Hazama used to be hard in 1.0, but with his overall nerfs the matchup seems even now. Taokaka used to be pretty even as well but with her average damage going way down, it feels like as though Azrael is the one with 9 lives while Tao dies in 3 consecutive combos.

Slightly surprising that Mu isn't even at least 5:5, though I can see why he put it in 'slightly advantageous'. I guess at Dogura's level of play, the match up isn't as problematic. Same thing with Kokonoe too I suppose, considering a lot of her setups/oki are invalid with Growler. Even though she has options to cover Growler(if I remember correctly), she still has to commit to it.

All in all though, even though Azrael has many favourable matchups, the hardest aspect of him to grasp in most of these matchups is the neutral game. I liked the way Xie described Azrael while commentating EVO, easy and strong character to play, yet having difficult(not necessarily bad) match ups. In that sense, as someone else here has put it, he probably is one of the most 'fair' top tiers Blazblue has ever had, as without proper neutral, you can't get anything started. 

It's interesting that Valkenhayn isn't considered even a 50:50 matchup any more, though I've no experience playing that one at all.

Pretty agreeable list all in all. Hazama used to be hard in 1.0, but with his overall nerfs the matchup seems even now. Taokaka used to be pretty even as well but with her average damage going way down, it feels like as though Azrael is the one with 9 lives while Tao dies in 3 consecutive combos.

Slightly surprising that Mu isn't even at least 5:5, though I can see why he put it in 'slightly advantageous'. I guess at Dogura's level of play, the match up isn't as problematic. Same thing with Kokonoe too I suppose, considering a lot of her setups/oki are invalid with Growler. Even though she has options to cover Growler(if I remember correctly), she still has to commit to it.

All in all though, even though Azrael has many favourable matchups, the hardest aspect of him to grasp in most of these matchups is the neutral game. I liked the way Xie described Azrael while commentating EVO, easy and strong character to play, yet having difficult(not necessarily bad) match ups. In that sense, as someone else here has put it, he probably is one of the most 'fair' top tiers Blazblue has ever had, as without proper neutral, you can't get anything started. 

You do have to remember that it's just based on his own experiences. I think the idea of Tager being even and Mu being in Azrael's favour is laughable, but when you remember that he has to fight the best Tagers in the world, with Mu being very heavily under-represented on a global level, it's not that strange. 

Hey guys, maybe this is the wrong place, but I am pretty new to Azrael (just recently got serious despite having this since NA release).  I am sort of lost with what to practice in training room.  I'm a long time (20 years...damn i'm old) street fighter player so I'm used to spending my hours grinding away in the training room.  I'm pretty solid on (2a) 5a 5bb TCL  (BHS or not depending on situation.  5c BHS  5b 2c 5b j.b. j.c jump cancel j.d is pretty easy as well.  And both front and back throws into Gustav (or astral lol)  I'm just not certain what else I need to be practicing.  I have vailant charger and hornet...whatever thing combos down pretty well (how hard is it to push c).  I guess I"m asking for "what is the next level".  I feel like I've hit a wall and have been wrecking some of the other guys here locally but soemtimes I feel like I'm just repeating the same thing over and over and waiting for it to hit. 

Just realized this got kind of rambly.  Any assistance woudl be appreciated.

Aside from the video aisight linked, converting random and awkward anti-air/air-to-air hits into a weakpoint is pretty important. It's not really difficult but missing a knockdown you could've gotten could potentially lose you a lot of advantage. Get used to confirming crouching combos as well.

When people start waking up smartly against you; Ice Cube put up a pretty great section about it in the strategy thread. There's a new one available to Az in 1.1, that's Dash TK Sentinel after a rekka knockdown(works on less people in the corner). Covers quick tech, front and back roll(not delayed rolls or delayed neutral tech), and also safe jumps pretty much everyone if you do it fast enough, except Kagura. Azrael, Arakune and Tager can wake up backdash out of it, though you can punish it with Gustaf.

Vary your strings more too. Basically don't get too predictable and explore options.

Otherwise, check out the critique thread. I found myself having similar problems to what people have and the people's input over here really helps a lot. And as always, watching footage of better players teaches a lot.

Hey guys, i want to pick up Azrael, but since I'm an online player only i'm not sure it's worth it(links and and all). I really don't like link based characters, but i Think Azrael is really cool, so I will try to look pass that. should i pick him up? is it possible to play him like he's meant to be played online?