Spark

[CP] Hakumen General Info

Normals - Brief overview of the changes from Extend to CP.

A Normals:

5A - Lost the ability to gatling into 6A, and on hit no longer launches as high on normal or counter hit. 5A CH > 5C is still possible, though harder to confirm and the damage is much lower than before. Still a fast anti-air that's useful against some characters, although the risk vs reward makes it not really worth it.

2A - Now gatlings into 2A, 2B, and 5B much faster than before. This really helps the up close game against Tager because with this change Tager can no longer IB 360A in between 2A > 2A. Can now late chain/combo into 3C which lets him get knock down without spending meter. Bad P2 means it's no longer the go to move for hit confirming.

6A - Has a worse P1 and is now -4 on block instead of -2, so it's more risky to use in block strings. Lost it's wall bound effect.

j.A - Can now gatling into air throw. So it's now useful for air TRM setups. Other than that no real changes.

j.2A - Now jump cancelable and knocks the opponent upwards instead of back. Still good for cutting projectiles.

B Normals:

5B - P1 buff. No other changes as far as I can tell.

2B - P1 and P2 buff. It is also level 3 meaning you can combo into 623AA even if they're standing. Got 4 extra active frames, but went from +2 to -4. This should be the go to move for hit confirming.

6B - P1 up to 90 from 50. On CH now ground bounces so you can combo off it with RCing.

j.B - Lost a few frames of untech time and it's hitbox is not extended all the way on it's first active frame.

C Normals: All C normals in general got proration buffs and damage buffs. Just pointing this out now so I don't have to mention it for all of them.

5C - Hasn't changed from Extend.

2C - Launches higher than before. Still has long untech time on CH.

6C - Lost a small amount of damage from Extend. Although it now fatal counters even when it's uncharged. Level 3 forces fatal counter.

4C - Can be canceled before starting up by press A. No longer in CH state for the entire duration of the move. Fully charged 4C CH combos into 6C level 3.

3C - Can now combo into 5C or 2C on CH and it's start up got sped up from 9F to 8F. On block it is -12 so it is pretty unsafe.

j.C - Got the biggest damage buff from 900 to 1300, now causes wall stick if the opponent is in the corner, and it is back to being level 4. Although the mook does not mention it, it still has landing recovery.

j.2C - Does not launch an airborne opponent up even on CH. So it's really hard to follow up with a 5C or 2C on air CH. Otherwise it's pretty much the same.

Drives: All drives can be canceled into Enma by hitting A as the counter catches something. They also will give Hakumen one star just for activating. Also drives are no longer unblockable.

5D - Lasts a really long time if held, but also increases the recovery. Can combo afterwards with Shippu.

6D - Has long start up, but really short recovery. Has the best prorate of all the drives.

2D - Pretty much the same as before, but you can only combo afterwards with Shippu.

j.D - Has a minimum height and can be comboed off of now. You can get one rep of the j.2A > j.2C > 5A combo off of it.

Other:

6AB (Counter Assualt) - Same as before

AB (Crush Trigger) - Launches on hit, ignores character combo prorate, and can be held. Doesn't seem that useful outside of combos, it's expensive having to spend 2 stars to break their guard and then at least another 2 just to launch them.

Throws:

BC - Now staggers the opponent instead of knocking them away. This lets Hakumen get a meterless combo with knockdown off throw, the downside is that this combo isn't any better in the corner.

4BC - Hasn't really changed you can still RC the first hit to avoid the big prorate on the second hit.

j.BC - Can still special cancel, RC, or OD to avoid the big prorate on the second hit. Has more recovery on hit. All air throws seem to have landing recovery on whiff.

Specials:

214A (Gurren) - The P2 was buffed a small amount. When it bounces people back from the wall they don't seem to be as high up.

623A (Kishuu) - Same as before.

623AA (Enma) - You cannot cancel into enma late into kishuu anymore. The cancel window is so small that you pretty much have to hit A immediately after 623A or else it won't come out. It's pretty annoying for match ups like Rachel where you need that extra bit of range to reach her when she is summoning or shooting a cannon. Also according to the frame data it doesn't have any upper body invincibility any more.

D(A) (Enma) - Has better prorate than the normal version and can fatal counter. The game considers this and 623AA as the same move so make sure not to use both in the same combo. This version also has no upper body invincibility.

236B (Renka) - It no longer has any bonus prorate. The second hit is faster so there is no longer a gap between the two hits even with IB.

41236C (Zantetsu) - Ignores character combo prorate and the first hit now grounds the opponent. The first hit is a level 5 attack so there is no longer a gap between the two hits even with IB. This also means that when canceling into 623A you're at +2.

j.214B (Hotaru) - No longer wall bounds and causes Hakumen to float upwards when done. Still gives an extra air option on hit or block.

j.214C (Tsubaki) - No longer slides on hit and does not have bonus prorate anymore. Can only be comboed off of if followed up with j.214B. Now can only be done once in the air.

j.214A (Agito) - New move that grounds enemies on normal hit. On CH it ground bounces the opponent. Has head, body, foot, and projectile so it can be used to beat anti-airs. Can only be done once in the air.

Fuumajin - Went from active for 183F to 92F.

Distortions Drives:

632146C (Shippu) - Now has 4 different levels. When OD is activated the beam portion of the super is a large wave. Mugen ends when the sword portion of the super hits.

236236D (Yukikaze) - Same as before, except in OD it does around 4k damage.

214214B (Mugen) - The start up is a lot faster, but doesn't last nearly as long as before. Although in OD Mugen won't end until OD is over or the sword part of Shippu hits.

Astral:

[2]8D - Same as before.

Edited by Spark

Block String - Gap w/ no IB | w/ IB

5A > 5A = 2F | 5F

5A > 3C = 1F | 4F

5A > 5B = 3F | 6F

5A > 2B = 4F | 7F

2A > 2A = 0F | 2F

2A > 5A = 0F | 2F

2A > 5B = 2F | 5F

2A > 2B = 0F | 3F

2A > 6A = 5F | 8F

2A > 3C = 0F | 3F

5B > 5A = 0F | 2F

5B > 2A = 1F | 4F

5B > 2B = 2F | 5F

2B > 5A = 0F | 2F

2B > 2A = 0F | 3F

66 j.214A = +/- 0

Edited by Spark

> 6A - Has a worse P1 and is now -4 on block instead of -2

> loses wallbound

jesus christ

also dont forget his crush trigger

Edited by mAc Chaos

> loses wallbound

jesus christ

RIP Mac Oki. We hardly knew ye.

probably worth noting that you can do the enma followups form parries simply by holding A.

I love you.

i know this is most DEFF NOT the place to ask this...but spark, why aren't you playing any tournies no more man....i miss seeing you blow up lordknight and other people T_T. your hakumen is god to me desu^^. also...sorry again for asking this in totally the wrong place

probably worth noting that you can do the enma followups form parries simply by holding A.

Wow seriously? Zanshin just became 15x better holy shit.

> loses wallbound

jesus christ

6A has enough hitstun to just let you continue after hitting it. It combos into 6B on launched with can be followed up as well

Edited by Ctrlaltwtf

Wow seriously? Zanshin just became 15x better holy shit.

No it's not. Bring back frame 1 active 6d, then we can talk about it being better. The "a" attack parry, like most of the changes with hakumen, are what I called skewed improvements.

If people don't understand what i mean about that, then I'll explain later.

No it's not. Bring back frame 1 active 6d, then we can talk about it being better. The "a" attack parry, like most of the changes with hakumen, are what I called skewed improvements.

If people don't understand what i mean about that, then I'll explain later.

Its like 1 step forward, and two steps back right.

Its like 1 step forward, and two steps back right.

That sounds about right.

More like 1 step forward, 10 steps back.

That's even more accurate lol. Don't get it twisted mAc, he's still fun to play as. But we no longer have a "defense" for people to respect for the most part is all. Luckily we can end rounds even faster by landing quick OD combos at any point in a match. You just need to find the opening, if there is any, in your opponent's playstyle.

I already felt it against Ragna and Bang, keeping in mind my friends who use them don't even own CP yet. OD combos are hella fun though, I just wish this character had the defensive tools to match his bulky size.

i know this is most DEFF NOT the place to ask this...but spark, why aren't you playing any tournies no more man....i miss seeing you blow up lordknight and other people T_T. your hakumen is god to me desu^^. also...sorry again for asking this in totally the wrong place

Should go in PMs or visitor messages.

I played in the local tournament yesterday, and outside of that I usually play at Evo.

It's also wort-h noting that he doesn't really like being recorded. he has a very standard hakumen across every version of BB due to his strong fundamentals and understanding of hakumen. So as long as there's matches of him, you can apply how he plays to any version of BB.

It was a great writeup.

Don't worry about it not being 100% truth when the game gets figured out 8 months later. This is the stage where everybody is just stumbling along trying to map out an unknown territory.

Thanks mAc :)

I've never had such a hard time in a matchup in my whole life playing fighting games than Relius. Without strength of counters he's helpless to Relius' pressure, making his neutral game that much more scary.

Relius benefits from nothing happening as much as Hakumen. That's the issue, I never fought a strong Rachel in CT, but the only other matchup that's as difficult to deal with is Arakune.

If Ignis didn't recharge while you were waiting for stars to go on the offensive the neutral game wouldn't as much in his favour as it is now. Gonna have to figure out what tools to better deal with Relius, getting a full OD combo is out of the question, so you must play perfectly whole match.

Best way I can put this matchup is Ky vs Venom, whatever you can do he can do better. The neutral game is in his advantage so you must force him into situations unfavourable towards, him, which are very few. As you build stars, he builds "wifey meter" which negates your stars in the same ways as Venom's ball formations and angle negate Ky's screen control. So you must press and blitz him perfectly with little to no mistakes. Similarly Venom and Relius could make Ky and Hakumen block for a good while due to their lack of defensive tools and wide/big hitboxes. SO you don't ever want to be in situations where you have to block, EVER.

While Nu13 (from the matches I've watched) is no longer really a bad matchup. Relius now might be one of his worst, similar to Venom to Ky in GG.

Glad I'm not the only one having trouble with this match up. Between the doll protecting him and his anti-airs, I can barely do anything at all against Relius. He beats me in the air every time too with that OP j.A he has.