Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A.X.I.S.

[CP] Tager vs Azrael: AKA Tager vs Slayer

I didn't say Growler isn't usefull for Azrael in the matchup, I said it's very bad in the GF mixup because it whiffs if Tager blocks.

Forward dash Growler loses to a lot of things. The real answer is that Growler beats any button and has to be hard baited. You can't RC it for a free get off me, but it's still a get off me. They won't use it as often on wakeup because backdash is just so ridiculous after GF, but that doesn't make wakeup growler bad. It makes it risky, and there's a difference.

It's like throwing out a shoryuken in SF4 without the meter to FADC it. You're not looking for a free out, you're looking to make a point: I play Azrael and am manly as fuck. I know you have to guess hard after GF, well here, now guess harder.

like what? if gadget is +3 you can't actually meaty anything without RC'ing can you? So there should always be time to dash growler.

5A. forward dash only has 4 frames of invulnerability, it just smacks him out of it.

If that doesn't beat it, I'm sure 5A > 2A does. I don't have training mode on-hand to test but I'm 99% sure forward dash growler isn't free.

you know, I was thinking he could special cancel the first couple frames. at least I remember someone saying stuff about their meaties must not be meaty because of being dash growlerd.. But if it is just a full forward dash into growler... yeah..

Although since I think he can jump cancel it the whole time seems like he should be able to do 662147B. Probably not too hard.

Hm. Guess I'm wrong. You totally can, though the link is very tight. Can make it easier though. Walk forward and dash forward have the same, or nearly the same frame data to get in range of Tager. Azrael can walk forward for 2 frames then input 214B. It makes it so Tager has to actually walk backwards to bait DP. If you crouch block Azrael is in range to Growler you, and if you 5A you still get smacked. Even if you mistime it and step froward for 3-4 frames you just get instant block.

why would i post this

Well if you go that far into thinking, I guess we could say Azrael can just do the 214 motion and react to Tager doing something with hitting B, if some Tager players can react to 6 framers, I guess some Azrael players should be able to.

On another topic, I saw in the Nu matchup thread some talk about MTW, that made me think of something I didn't saw noted here, that's about the good old MTW RC mixup.

So against Azrael you have to know that if he wasn't hitting a button before the flash, he can do 6A and beat MTW clean,and depending on screen position he might get a strong combo.

How are we even supposed to approach this matchup in 1.1? It just seems like we're completely screwed if he manages to get us in the corner, and backdash is completely worthless in this matchup.

Tiku used grabs exclusively as a punish mechanic and played almost entirely in Neutral.. He took no risks on wakeup with 5A/5B/Grab midscreen because he knows Azrael backdash is too strong against Tager. Jump-forward Barrier was his go-to option because it advanced some ground if Azrael backdashed, and beat Growler. He basically lived and died in his neutral.

Also worth mentioning that he beat forward dash with j.A which is smart because forward dash forces standing (and instant jump j.A hits Azrael) and if he jump cancels his dash it still pressures him. Smart

This is what Tiku does best. The safe jBs in neutral and the 5As. Tager 5A will beat Gustaff, and a lot of Azrael's other options, it's fast enough that it's unlikely you'll get caught by his 5C as well. So long as you approach with some Barrier first it's basically impossible to intercept you out of safejump jB. It has amazing hitbox and active frames as well which can actually hit Azrael behind you sometimes if he tries to go behind you with a dash.

Tiku usually gets a bit more hardread-y when he wants that last hit, and it costs him a bit in this match. He does get a backdash with 2D but that's an insanely risky option in this MU.

Azrael sucks at midrange. He may have some long pokes but he doesn't usually get crap on them if he isn't close enough for a 3C or weakpoint confirm. Keep him spaced. Don't give him easy access to his close-range normals if you don't have to. You definitely have the mid-to-long range advantage in this MU especially if you get magnetism.

Look at 28:45; he lands a blocked 5D and a blocked Spark Bolt, then backs up. He doesn't walk forward. This is simple yet super important and will help you be a good Tager and a good fighter in general. Because he increased the gap, Azrael had to use some kind of risky movement option in desperation. In this case it was a forward dash that ate Sledge.

Again, look at 30:18. Super important here. He's got Azrael in the corner but watch how he plays. He did eat a CH Gustaff unfortuantely, but if that Gustaff wasn't a CH Azrael wouldn't have gotten anything good. However once Azrael gets in Tiku has a much harder time a loses the round.