Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DerQ

[CP] Amane vs. Hakumen

Post your thoughts about the Hakumen matchup here. Be as constructive as possible when discussing matchups.

Hakumen boards' thread

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?18234-CP-Hakumen-VS-Amane-The-Drill-that-Pierces-the-Heavens

Pros

-

Cons

-

Drill game

Amane can attempt 6D resets on hakumen. He can use drive to dodge the chip damage and gain meter, but Amane still gets drill level 3. It's a trade off.

General strategy

-

This match-up is pretty tough. Hakumen is very strong in Amane's blind spot, the space between 5B and 5C/2C where all of his attacks miss. Hakumen's damage is very inconsistent - the majority of his attacks are very low damage until he gets that one CH or overdrive confirm into an 80% combo. The problem is that Hakumen's most comfortable options for getting huge damage (CH 3C/5C/6C) are directly in Amane's blindspot, the space where 5B can't reach and 5C/2C miss. Midrange footsies are therefore very risky so be REALLY careful.

Hakumen's counters work very strangely against Amane. All of Amane's long range attacks are regular normals so he'll get countered if he's too close, but it's extremely easy to avoid. Canceling basically any normal from max range into 236D will get Amane out of the catch range of counters. However shit gets really annoying when Hakumen sits on meter and abuses super/astral counter to Amane from anywhere on the screen.

I'm still working on developing an optimal approach to this match-up but some things are very apparent. C attacks are very good against Hakumen as long as you stagger them to make him think twice about abusing counters the whole game. Stay out of your ground blind spot AT ALL COSTS, abuse jB and Zettou to position yourself out of his footsie range. Be very careful when rushing down because Hakumen's 5D is fucking stupid. Throw him to discourage it, j2B to punish him for autopiloting throw techs. Hariken setups are useless against a good Hakumen so don't use them unless you want to give him free meter. When defending, Hakumen's pressure is extremely basic but Amane can't disrespect out of it without risking getting counterhit by 6B for half his life, so defend patiently until you have meter for counter assault or super. If you get level 3 drill somehow, don't go too crazy or you'll get 5D counter. Wait for him to commit to counters when in doubt, then obliterate him with a beefy drill CH.

^ Pretty much sums up the matchup. What I ended up doing against Hakumen sounds terribly risky, but it was useful for blind spots. If he's on the ground and in your 5B/2C/5C blind spot, use 3C and just cancel it on block to fix this spacing issue. Risky in case he jumps and counter hits you, but that's why you need to use your best judgement when doing so.

blindspot? I'm pretty sure 5D and 236A~ j.C cover the area between 5B and the C normals..

its an annoying matchup for sure but we have a lot more options compared to matchups like Hazama or Valk.

Now that Skeletal and I are much better at this game, wow this match-up sucks. Just wow. I actually do better with Makoto than Amane and that makes me sad. All C attacks are a free yukikaze on reaction when he has meter. You have to play footsies without C or try to rush him down, except getting clipped by a random 3C/5C read = game over. I'll just sit full screen and not do anything because everything is too risky. Very annoying.

Are you sure? The match vids I watched of them didn't seem that bad of a matchup. I haven't played it yet though.

Are you sure? The match vids I watched of them didn't seem that bad of a matchup. I haven't played it yet though.
I went to match videos for help with the match-up and in most of them, amane stops using C attacks when hakumen has 4 magatama. Regular 2D is annoying too because Amane doesn't actually have any highs, but it's avoidable since regular counters lost their catch state in this game. Yukikaze though? Hella free. I've gotten reaction astraled a few times too.

On another note - if you want to go for a throw tech punish, us 6B instead of j2B. 6B can't be countered because Amane floats so far back.

After a lot of grinding in this match-up, I finally feel I have a handle on it and it's even. There's a huge learning curve to get used to it so hopefully this advice will help.

1) If you do not have level 3 drill, do not rush him down ever. It took me a while to finally get used to this but even in the corner it is never worth it. Your mix-up is bad, none of your gatlings are true block strings, safe jump can be countered, you will eventually eat a super counter or CH 3C or whatever else and lose all of your advantage. 

2) Corollary to the above; level 3 drill is always worth it. Yes, it sucks, but without level 3 drill you have no offensive presence whatsoever and get garbage damage off random hits. It makes a HUGE difference. Your footsies suddenly become really scary with 5D, random tags with jB turn into 4k, and most importantly he can't just counter you on reaction. He has to straight guess when you'll go for 5D and he's dead if that guess was wrong. 

3) Until you have level 3 drill, always run away. You don't even have to press buttons at first, just jump and Zettou all over the place and stay out of the corner because he can not catch you. His ground mobility is awful unless he dumps meter into kishuu which you can hard call-out with 3C. Airdashing impatiently lets us tag him with anti-airs into a level 3 setup or 5k damage. His main tools to deal with this are jC (1300 damage up front but he can not combo from it without the corner), Hotaru (covers the area above his head he can't reach and is air unblockable, but requires meter and is also really hard to combo from without corner), and air throw (BREAK IT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD). Forcing him to approach you puts him at a significant disadvantage and greatly mitigates the threat of counters. You will get negative penalty every other match but don't panic, this style of play obviates many of his methods for getting damage.