Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TD

[CP] Relius Clover vs Yuuki Terumi

Discuss the Terumi matchup here.

The Neutral Game

Long Range: Your Tools vs His Tools

Medium Range: Your Tools vs His Tools

Close Quarters: Your Tools vs His Tools

In The Air: Your Tools vs His Tools

Offense

Your Offense:

His Offense:

Defense

Your Defense:

His Defense:

Gimmicks and Resets

Match Summary

I never feel like I'm playing this MU right, like Jin I have no clue where to get out of his pressure, but have no trouble blocking it until I get grabbed, but unlike Jin I can never tell how to go about his neutral. Is there any way to get him other than to out poke him with 5B or to 2C his occasional j.D poke attempt? Anyone have any tips at all against him?

Its hard to say honestly. I've seen soooo many bad Terumi's that use 236D in pressure, and that's nearly a free punish. His pressure can be lengthy, but his mixup is lacking. Some will actually go for his command grab. This is good. Even his regular grab, if you see it coming, jumping is great. The bad thing is if he calls you out with that golike AA 6A. Regular hit gives him sheisse, but CH 6A could hurt you a bit. 5C>j.2D mixup for him can sometimes be 2C'd depending on how well the terumi did it and if you could IB 5C(1). 2D is an obvious pressure reset and can be jumped out of, sometimes even punished or lets you start your own pressure. 6B does the same, but its a bit better. Dont mash against his 6B. It might be best to use simple escape methods like super IAD or backdash (if its actives suck, idk).

I've played many, many games against a great terumi buddy of mine and I'll have to admit that this matchup isn't bad at all for Relius, seems in his favor. Really the only moment where Terumi seems scary is in the corner, because once he hits you he'll get some crazy damages off it. Just zone/poke him midscreen, bait his AA with j.Ds and everything should be fine.

For his pressure, the dash punch is actually unsafe on block, so 5B when you block that. His 236D isn't very safe as well, and his 3 hit knife lunging move isn't at all. If he rapid that move you still have time to punish using 5D if you're in blockstun (though it's pretty hard to do I think). Kill his j.D with 4D and his j.2D with 2C if you see them coming. Aside from 236D, not a lot of his moves have range, so you can usually outpoke him with 5B/2B/6D very easily midscreen.

I'll write more later when I have a clear head or something.

Indeed. In the end, his pokes are:

j.5D

5D

Really the only reason why anything else.of his works is because of his rediculous dash speed. Though I feelunsure about 4D punishes. I love it when it works, but it just seems to often that 4D wiffs (not like it really puts us in an unfavorable situation). But outside of his D moves, the only real lobg range move he has is 6C, which can be punished on block or easily jumped over. Our 5B is fast and has great range, the only thing thats difficult his his ability to restart pressure with his 5B which I think is +2 or somethin like that. Just know that 5C is his only jump cancellable move on block, so unless he's resetting pressure with j.2D after 5B recovers, his mixup is almost nothing.

Actually his 2C is jump cancelable on block if I recall correctly, and it goes pretty well into j.2D annoyingly enough. It's super easy to see coming, but I don't think we'll get anything but a tradeing blow between j.2D and our 5A unless you IB 2C. (Incidentally I can't IB for crap...)

Thanks for pointing that out, so I went amd checked his frame data xD. 2C>j.2D is a 4 frame gap. I dunno if you could backstep or jump out, cuz I feel like Ley is a bad option tbis matchup on defense unless you're avoiding his overhead super.

Unless you're fighting Tager, it's rarely a bad idea to ley when a distortion is used outside of a combo. Ley shouldn't be bad for avoiding j.2D if you can have Ignis clean up the mess left over. Is 236A+2D/6D useful here?

Its probably useful as every other matchup you can use it. Honestly, 236A>2/6D has been pissin me off with ignis just going right through the opponent or the hitbox not hitting where I am. Bullshit active frame increases on super armor -_-. Hazama's j.2D though is quick to recover though, so I don't know how easy it'd be to ley good enough to mean anything.

Terumi player here, 6a is also jump cancellable.

I find Terumi's biggest weakness is reach. If he can't reach you, he can't do anything to you. His 5d isn't fast enough to hit you vs your 5b, so when you get pressure going from a distance, it's either block or get ch for Terumi. His 6c probably has the biggest reach (aside from snake dash super), but it's hella unsafe, so you don't see it often.

Usually, jumpouts are good vs Terumi, but if Terumi catches on, 236d catches you every time. It's fast enough to catch before blocking is able.

PS3 tag: meester_muuffin

Are there any good videos of this matchup? The only person I get to regularly play in person plays Terumi exclusively, and I can't seem to properly punish anything other than a blocked 6C. I didn't see any for Terumi in the video thread.

Sorry about not replyin sooner.

Anyway, Terumi is a character who, much like ourselves, excels in pressure. Trying to find a gap will be difficult, especially when you barrier and he starts using 5B stagger (+3 on barrier... fml). However, 5B stagger is only useful as a stagger tool for Terumi. It doesn't help with his mixup outside of goin for grab/command grab. His 5C>j.2D is a pretty solid pressure reset and there's not really anything you can do about it, but its obvious. Just don't get mixed up by this. 2C>j.2D is a little less obvious, but its not as safe either. For us Relius players, you just have to block until he tries to mix us up. His command grab is free to punish with falling j.C if you see it coming. Hell, its punishable by almost anything really, its 25f startup gives it a huge gap (7f and more) on all of his moves.

Really though, you just don't wanna get caught. Play your superior neutral game. All of Terumi's long range pokes (save 6C) are projectile property. This means ignis eats them. Make ignis eat Terumi if you want to win.

My suggestion is fight frame data with frame data. IB any part of his stagger pressure and you can 2A to turn the tables directly into 214B/j.214B/3C oki. I don't use barrier against Terumi, it doesn't keep him out.