Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FleetingPenguin

Newbie needs help with Faust

I just got GG:AC yesterday, so I'm very new, but this game seems very deep and interesting. These are very newbish questions, and I apologize, but I could not find the answers anywhere. I have a few problems. First, I read the entire dustloop guide, but the advanced techniques aren't really helpful because I still don't understand the flow of the game totally. For example, what to do in basic situations, like when being attacked by a combo or waking up from knockdown. What can I do, besides play more, to acquire basic GG skills. I don't think it's much good knowing how to FRC if I'm constantly sitting going "what do I do now?". I know there's an okizeme guide, and I plan on learning that, but there are still many situations I really can't deal with. I'm going to go watch a few videos and see if that helps. Secondly, I read the Faust 101 guide but I'm a bit confused. Most of my matches in arcade devolve into me spamming S and 2H, and I have yet to get past more than 5 levels in the arcade. Long range: 41236K - If I'm doing this correctly, it's a scalpel stab. How should I follow this up? From what I've read, after the scalpel stab you can do 236P>236P>236P to pull them in, hit them up, and then hit them in the air, but I can't pull it off. The best I can get is to hit them up in the air, and that is mostly with just mashing 236P. How do I get the timing down? Is this the best followup? Drill Cancel j.HS (punishes low air-dashes): Does this entry mean that the drill cancel combos into the j.H? Can it be used offensively, or just to punish low air-dashes? Mid-Range: far.S, 2HS: I've had great success against low level computers just mashing these two moves. They seem to do pretty good damage for a single normal. They both seem to be blocked standing, so what differences do they have and how should I decide to use one or the other? Close-Range: Throw, Mettakiri: Is it just me, or do I need to be very close to use these? Whenever someone is a bit too close for the mid-range options and I run in to throw/command throw, I get hit. What am I doing wrong, and how do I set them up so I don't get hit? How do I punish predictability? For example, I'm only using 6P as my anti-air. How would a live opponent punish me only using one anti-air? What is the reason for mixing up 6P with others, such as 5K? I looked into the combo thread and saw some monsters requiring lots of RCing and tension. What are some easy, low or no tension, low RCing combos I can learn for "bread and butter", both air and ground, just to get me started with Faust? Would I use them at close range as a substitute for throws? What advanced techniques (RCing/Faultless defense/etc) should I learn first? After mastering the gameplan in the Faust 101 thread and in the okizeme thread, what are other standard Faust techniques/moves I should I learn to improve my game? Is it ever worth it to use Force Breaks or Overdrives, or should I just save my tension for RCing?

I'm not good with faust but these seems like general questions so I will give it a try.

First two questions will answer itself as you play more.

Long range:

41236K - If I'm doing this correctly, it's a scalpel stab. How should I follow this up? From what I've read, after the scalpel stab you can do 236P>236P>236P to pull them in, hit them up, and then hit them in the air, but I can't pull it off. The best I can get is to hit them up in the air, and that is mostly with just mashing 236P. How do I get the timing down? Is this the best followup?

Input them slowly. If that doesn't work, just spam (236 P)x N until you get it right. This follow up gives faust a lot of tension. There is a alternative move which cost 25% tension, 236D and it enables air-combo.

Drill Cancel j.HS (punishes low air-dashes): Does this entry mean that the drill cancel combos into the j.H? Can it be used offensively, or just to punish low air-dashes?

NO. You haven't read the guide throughly. Drill cancel is canceling j.2K into FD. Advantage is that faust can do air moves so close to the ground and also makes faust movement unpredictable. Drill cancel j.HS comes out a lot close to the ground thus, it will counter any oppoent's low air dash attempts.

Mid-Range: far.S, 2HS: I've had great success against low level computers just mashing these two moves. They seem to do pretty good damage for a single normal. They both seem to be blocked standing, so what differences do they have and how should I decide to use one or the other?

I for one not really fond of 2HS. Not that many active frames, seems shorter than f.S and so on.

Close-Range: Throw, Mettakiri: Is it just me, or do I need to be very close to use these? Whenever someone is a bit too close for the mid-range options and I run in to throw/command throw, I get hit. What am I doing wrong, and how do I set them up so I don't get hit?

You can't throw somebody unless they are right up to your nose. Throw is never a guaranteed move. There is a tick-throw set-up which is explained in the guide section of dustloop. When you are going for throw while running, use FD break then throw. Mostly likely is that you are getting HS or 6HS move instead of throw.

How do I punish predictability? For example, I'm only using 6P as my anti-air. How would a live opponent punish me only using one anti-air? What is the reason for mixing up 6P with others, such as 5K?

Every faust's anti-air has it's different purpose. 2S or 2K is used when opponent is right above you, 5K is when someone is air-dashing at you and so on. I can't say how opponent is going to punish you because each character has it's own different way of punishing or get around your 6P. What character do you have in mind?

I looked into the combo thread and saw some monsters requiring lots of RCing and tension. What are some easy, low or no tension, low RCing combos I can learn for "bread and butter", both air and ground, just to get me started with Faust? Would I use them at close range as a substitute for throws?

Try this easy combo: gatling into 2D - 2S - j.KPK - j.KPH. Try all the combos in combo thread actually. Faust's combos aren't that hard (well...)

What advanced techniques (RCing/Faultless defense/etc) should I learn first?

All of them actually. They aren't that hard and they are not advanced techniques. Maybe difficult at first but it is much easier than say, Drill cancel. RCing is just pressing three buttons, FD is just pressing two buttons(other than S+HS, any+D) while hold4 and so on.

After mastering the gameplan in the Faust 101 thread and in the okizeme thread, what are other standard Faust techniques/moves I should I learn to improve my game?

Drill cancel lol.

Is it ever worth it to use Force Breaks or Overdrives, or should I just save my tension for RCing?

It depends. I can't just flat out say don't use or do use. They have their usefulness.

How do I select alternate Faust costumes?

Select character with different buttons!

Thanks, that is some great information!

You can't throw somebody unless they are right up to your nose. Throw is never a guaranteed move. There is a tick-throw set-up which is explained in the guide section of dustloop. When you are going for throw while running, use FD break then throw. Mostly likely is that you are getting HS or 6HS move instead of throw.

So by close range, the guide means "right up in your face"? If they are too close for the S (which I get counterhit on a lot when I use it too close...) I should run up, FD, and throw?

Every faust's anti-air has it's different purpose. 2S or 2K is used when opponent is right above you, 5K is when someone is air-dashing at you and so on. I can't say how opponent is going to punish you because each character has it's own different way of punishing or get around your 6P. What character do you have in mind?

I don't really have a character in mind. Any example of the advantages of 5K or 2K over 6P would be great, thank you.

Try this easy combo: gatling into 2D - 2S - j.KPK - j.KPH. Try all the combos in combo thread actually. Faust's combos aren't that hard (well...)

There are so many in that thread! Which few should I learn first?

(On the topic of other standard Faust stuff)

Drill cancel lol.

But seriously, Faust has to have other tricks up his sleeve?

Thanks, that is some great information!

So by close range, the guide means "right up in your face"? If they are too close for the S (which I get counterhit on a lot when I use it too close...) I should run up, FD, and throw?

Yap. You could do that. But there are better options when you can CH, which you could go for combos. (Oh, you don't have to FD for command throws. You know the meta throw :D)

I don't really have a character in mind. Any example of the advantages of 5K or 2K over 6P would be great, thank you.

Hmm. As I said, if you look at the motion of 5K and 2K, you will see that it covers space (and does not cover) that 6P won't. For example, 5K covers a lot in front of faust, but does not cover above.

There are so many in that thread! Which few should I learn first?

Anything that starts from 2D is a good one because 2D usually starts from gatling. 236S RC combos lead to big damage so it doesn't hurt to learn that too.

But seriously, Faust has to have other tricks up his sleeve?

Gimmicks and tricks :psyduck: There are few but I don't think you need to concern yourself with that too much just now. Drill cancel alone will give you a hard time.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=UqMoAnEvwX8

good example of why 2HS is a good move Farslash is great but wiffs some characters 2HS is a safer ground zoning move

my advice is to study up on what you see and watch vids to see how all of this gets put into action

R.F and Defure are very good Faust's from Japan.... just look on youtube for vids of them

Long range:

41236K - If I'm doing this correctly, it's a scalpel stab. How should I follow this up? From what I've read, after the scalpel stab you can do 236P>236P>236P to pull them in, hit them up, and then hit them in the air, but I can't pull it off. The best I can get is to hit them up in the air, and that is mostly with just mashing 236P. How do I get the timing down? Is this the best followup?

Mash your 236P slower. Works for me.

As long as you aren't backed up near your corner when you do it, from scalpel practice pull > 236d > 2s, 5k (j.c) j.k (j.c) j.k, j.s, j.hs. Do this in training, it's a pretty good b&b to learn, as you can do it from (non counterhit) 5k anti air or start the combo from 2d into 2s etc.

If you get this combo down you can worry about more important things.

Drill Cancel j.HS (punishes low air-dashes): Does this entry mean that the drill cancel combos into the j.H? Can it be used offensively, or just to punish low air-dashes?

Just to make this clear, drill cancel doesn't actually get the move out. All it achieves is canceling your jump so that you begin dropping immediately. In this case it means getting the great range of j.hs nearly immediately, limiting your opponents options of getting in. It's not really an offensive tool, but it is still very important to learn, as with Faust you will want to keep people out of range until a good opportunity to attack presents itself.

Mid-Range: far.S, 2HS: I've had great success against low level computers just mashing these two moves. They seem to do pretty good damage for a single normal. They both seem to be blocked standing, so what differences do they have and how should I decide to use one or the other?

I admit to being very lazy on using 2hs as well. My best answer that is actually correct is that 2hs combos into scalpel pull on counter hit. 2hs doesn't seem as punishable as 5s either.

Close-Range: Throw, Mettakiri: Is it just me, or do I need to be very close to use these? Whenever someone is a bit too close for the mid-range options and I run in to throw/command throw, I get hit. What am I doing wrong, and how do I set them up so I don't get hit?

If you're playing against the computer, it will hit you out of throw attempts so don't bother. Against real players, 2p and whiffing 2k on wakeup work ok. Use metagiri on offensive, it does more damage and has slightly more range. Effective startup is 5 frames or so though, so you can get thrown out of it at typical range.

How do I punish predictability? For example, I'm only using 6P as my anti-air. How would a live opponent punish me only using one anti-air? What is the reason for mixing up 6P with others, such as 5K?

I admit I don't use 6p much, but keep in mind upper body invincibility, but it's recovery is baaad. If you get used to it's height though it might be okay. 2k seems to work better for me, as the first hit works great from right above. 5k is more for instant airdash anti air and the area generally in front of you.

I looked into the combo thread and saw some monsters requiring lots of RCing and tension. What are some easy, low or no tension, low RCing combos I can learn for "bread and butter", both air and ground, just to get me started with Faust? Would I use them at close range as a substitute for throws?

Faust isn't dependant on RCs as much as other characters. If it's defensive then just do it on reaction if you realise you're gonna get punished. There are better people on the board to talk about faust FRCs though.

What advanced techniques (RCing/Faultless defense/etc) should I learn first?

Learn faultless defense. When you do this pushback from the opponent will be increased a lot, though certain moves much more than others. Faust doesn't have many options when people are pushing in.

After mastering the gameplan in the Faust 101 thread and in the okizeme thread, what are other standard Faust techniques/moves I should I learn to improve my game?

After learning a few basic combos, move onto drill cancels. There is little else for Faust that can't be done outside of real matchup experience against people (forget CPU). Learning how to take advantage of your items should be your top priority. Throw them whenever you think it's safe to do so.

Is it ever worth it to use Force Breaks or Overdrives, or should I just save my tension for RCing?

Spend your tension however you like, both force break and both overdrives are useful in their own ways. I really don't think RC is that important for faust, at least while learning.

So I was messing around in training mode, and I discovered that after that scalpel hit, if I just mash full circles and punch as fast as I can (which isn't very fast) I get the full scalpel pull combo, 100% of the time. Maybe this helps someone else. I'm starting to recognize that when characters land right in my face, throwing is a better option than S. Thanks for helping me understand how limited the throw range was. Not so much luck with metakirri. I've noticed that most of the combos in the first post of the combo thread come off of dust or drill cancel attacks. Is there any use for simpler ground gatlings (say 236S>s>h) or air gatlings, or should I just be trying to land these max damage combos all the time? If so, how can I utilize the gatling charts in the encyclopedia to create combos that deal large amounts of damage? I've tried to create a few, but with mixed results. Basically you want to ground gatling into the B&B combos in the combo thread, right? Should I be moving around in the air a lot? With the very small amount that I and the computer are jumping and airdashing, there is no way I'm ever going to air combo or air throw, which makes me think I'm doing something wrong with the way I move about the field. For okizeme practice, what is a good and simple knockdown string? How can I get into metakirri, and how can I combo after it? It is a flashy move and I want to use it more. :) After regular throws, it is just standard okizeme, right? There are no combos arising from a standard 6H throw? When I have my opponent in a corner, what should I do? Having the wall to keep the other character trapped leads me to believe there are some highly damaging special things that could be done. EDIT: Watched some videos. I need to air dash in -> air poke (how?) and item throw more. Also use the pogo more from the air...

So I was messing around in training mode, and I discovered that after that scalpel hit, if I just mash full circles and punch as fast as I can (which isn't very fast) I get the full scalpel pull combo, 100% of the time. Maybe this helps someone else.

I'm starting to recognize that when characters land right in my face, throwing is a better option than S. Thanks for helping me understand how limited the throw range was. Not so much luck with metakirri.

I've noticed that most of the combos in the first post of the combo thread come off of dust or drill cancel attacks. Is there any use for simpler ground gatlings (say 236S>s>h) or air gatlings, or should I just be trying to land these max damage combos all the time? If so, how can I utilize the gatling charts in the encyclopedia to create combos that deal large amounts of damage? I've tried to create a few, but with mixed results. Basically you want to ground gatling into the B&B combos in the combo thread, right?

It depends on situation and what move you successfully landed on opponent. If you succeeded in landing Drill cancel j.K then you should do follow up combo. Don't aim for big damage with gatlin but rather think how successfully you can mix-up your opponent.

Should I be moving around in the air a lot? With the very small amount that I and the computer are jumping and airdashing, there is no way I'm ever going to air combo or air throw, which makes me think I'm doing something wrong with the way I move about the field.

Faust air to ground is..little iffy. Only time you will be in air is throwing out j.HS or Faust's love to keep your opponent at distance with occasionally mix-up and obvious air punishments. And notice that Faust's is really slow in the air lol.

For okizeme practice, what is a good and simple knockdown string?

gatling into 2D - 2S - j.KD will give you a nice knockdown.

How can I get into metakirri, and how can I combo after it? It is a flashy move and I want to use it more. :)

You can combo after meta if you are willing to spend 50% tension which is not..really advisable unless it will kill your opponent. There are few ways to set up for meta like throw item and when you see meteo, run to your opponent and meta right before it comes out. Also, have you read the tick throw guide yet?

After regular throws, it is just standard okizeme, right? There are no combos arising from a standard 6H throw?

You can RC throw into combo then again like meta, not really that good.

When I have my opponent in a corner, what should I do? Having the wall to keep the other character trapped leads me to believe there are some highly damaging special things that could be done.

Watch few faust's vids and how they do the corner pressure. Generally throwing crap ton of items and keep them in corner using your long pokes and punish their attempt to get out of corner with your superb anti-airs.

This threads is so great since I'm picking up Faust atm myself! What are the odd's that some random guys goes about asking all the right questions so I can just sit back and read all the answers? Lulz I tell you! Lulz! :yaaay:

Oh. Well tick throw explains itself. It's easy :D Getting used to it is another matter but keep trying.

After learning a few basic combos, move onto drill cancels. There is little else for Faust that can't be done outside of real matchup experience against people (forget CPU). Learning how to take advantage of your items should be your top priority. Throw them whenever you think it's safe to do so.

Spend your tension however you like, both force break and both overdrives are useful in their own ways.

I think this little bit is the most improtant infomation in the thread. Faust is a total reactionary character. Throw out an Item then decide what the best corse of action to take after that is. throwing out a mini faust pot, or robo, you oviously can't throw out another Item till the mini lands. with candy not till it disappears. just take note of what your opponent does when "whatever is thrown out"

and learn that 2K drill cancel to j.HS. It will cover a lot of space (awesome for zoneing) and also eat the recovery time on candy or mini fausts

You can easily combo from mettagiri if your opponent is cornered. To make things easy for yourself, do 5P 2S -> air combo. You can do it somewhat differently, but starting with the 5P makes it easiest. My experience with Faust is this: - if you don't press buttons, they get in for free - if you press the wrong button, they may get in + CH You really do need to play against humans to get a feel for that, because you'll soon find that relying too heavily on far 5S and 2H can land you in a world of trouble: 5S can be countered by many 6Ps/moves with upper body invuln/low profile runs, and 2H can get you ruined if your opponent did an IAD. The combo of pogo, pogo S, pogo H cannot be used all the time because in many midscreen situations the pogo knocks your opponent too far away for the ground flower to be able to pick them up.

Progress! After a few day break for school, I have the basic Faust 101 items+pokes pretty well down and I've beaten arcade on normal. The only real problem was Zappa and remembering to FD I-no's OD's. Time to start hitting training mode and seeing if I can get combos and the more advanced stuff down. There's a lot of difference between being able to do the advanced stuff in training mode and pulling it off 100% in a real match, and because of this I keep reverting to spamming S and items. Practice time! I haven't really focused on applying throws, but sometimes I'll have a flash of insight when the opponent jumps in very close, and instead of hitting S I'll throw. I can pull this off consistently because the normal throw is very fast (it should beat out any other normal move the opponent tries because it has no startup frames, right?), but metagiri is giving me problems :mad: I can never pull it off against the computer. Maybe it would work better against cornered characters. If I wanted to use force breaks and overdrives, which ones should I use? Which should I especially not use? I've heard the handslap (214D) mentioned as a good one , especially in the context of 2K->handslap and because it is in combo 6 in the combo thread, any others? Are you sure all of the door moves suck? 214K actually seems somewhat useful... EDIT: Some interesting stuff from the combo thread I need to try out, besides the first post BnB stuff: D (homing jump) jHS jHS jk jp jk jck js jHS was mentioned as being easier to pull of than the dust combo in the first post. Do I hold up throughout the combo? 214K FRC -> Grab (waste of tension? sounds cool) 6HS -> Pogo RC -> run up 2HS -> pogo (waste of tension?) After hitting with an anti-air (say 6P), you can jump up and air combo, right?:eng101: I seriously hope that it works, but I can't test it right now...

Are you sure all of the door moves suck? 214K actually seems somewhat useful...

Yes, but that doesn't mean it's useless. The problem is that the blanket is easy to read, and 2/3 times it's going to come from the front, with no way to combo without 25/50 percent tension to waste, and that's saying that you even hit. Way better things you could be doing.

EDIT:

Some interesting stuff from the combo thread I need to try out, besides the first post BnB stuff:

D (homing jump) jHS jHS jk jp jk jck js jHS was mentioned as being easier to pull of than the dust combo in the first post. Do I hold up throughout the combo?

Yes, up until the first j.K.

214K FRC -> Grab (waste of tension? sounds cool)

That works, but using Mettagiri is a better use for it. More damage, and they land closer for oki game.

6HS -> Pogo RC -> run up 2HS -> pogo (waste of tension?)

Not that bad of a ground combo, but if they're in the corner, and they're not a lightweight (aka, most girls) you can actually 6H>Pogo>RC>6H>Pogo>Pogo S> Pogo GMW and it does a good 240~250 damage. Otherwise, 2H works good, but it does less damage. Also, No need to run in unless you're in the center of the screen, but even then, you normally can't hit with the Pogo S out of the pogo hit.

After hitting with an anti-air (say 6P), you can jump up and air combo, right?:eng101:

Sorta. If you hit with 5P, 5K, 5S, or 2K, there's usually a way to combo into it. I personally don't use 6P that much, because the other moves cover AA way better IMO, and give you more options to combo.

Well, I'm having a lot of trouble understanding when to regular throw, and loads of trouble landing a metagiri. I played against a friend while screwing around, and would try to throw when he blocked, by the pushback from the blocked normal put me out of throw range. I thought the whole point of throws was to get through blocks? I can't even get one of against a rising opponent, because their rising attacks hit me. Though, in theory, shouldn't my throw beat out their attack because the throw has no start up time? What's a Faust's main tick throw set-up/mix-up? I just want to say all of your posts have been a tremendous help!

Well, I'm having a lot of trouble understanding when to regular throw, and loads of trouble landing a metagiri.

I played against a friend while screwing around, and would try to throw when he blocked, by the pushback from the blocked normal put me out of throw range. I thought the whole point of throws was to get through blocks?

Then simple: reduce number of high level attacks in your string or just reduce number of attacks. If you are going for throw, go like 2P - meta

I can't even get one of against a rising opponent, because their rising attacks hit me. Though, in theory, shouldn't my throw beat out their attack because the throw has no start up time?

No, they get 1 frame invincibility on the wake-up! They can throw you before you do. If you want to play mind-games, just stay out side of their throw range and step in and throw.

What's a Faust's main tick throw set-up/mix-up?

2P, or 2K...any move that leaves with you + frame advantage and doesn't push too far out of throw range.

I just want to say all of your posts have been a tremendous help!

You are welcome.

After some more school, more progress has been made! I have the 2D>2S JC KSK JC SH combo down most of the time. The only problem is the beat meter turns black... Also, I'm probably drill canceling wrong. When I jump then press 1+K and then quickly S, I just get a little FD green orb, not any momentum from the drill. Essentially, I could have jumped regularly and had the same effect. What am I doing wrong?

You probably getting the black beat when you are JC SH right? Just jump faster and input the buttons one timing faster. That worked for me. I did have a problem with Faust's combo too because moves came out too slow and it threw my timing off. Yap you are doing it wrong. If you do it correctly, Faust should come down really slow than usually and don't have the momentum anymore ( which means if you forward jumped, then DCed, he will just fall down straight compared to keep moving forward.) It takes time to get it right. Also practice doing that with 1+K then HS. This way seemed easier for me to get out jHS or jK after drill cancel.

That is one way of getting your Overhead out Drill cancel j.K. Or, you do FDC close to the ground and do j.HS. If you look at j.HS, it covers almost half the screen and tall characters can't even dash or air-dash at you because of that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFaP_2JxbAE&feature=related

0:27 is the FDC into j.K and starting combo off that.