Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pssych

[P4AU] Yosuke Gameplay Discussion

So I was fiddling around with trying the Yosuke combos in the Yosuke/S.Yosuke video we have stickied and my Sukukaja runs out way too early for me to do that whole thing.

I'm guessing those combos are no longer doable? 

Also, what the hell does SB Sukukaja do? The duration is even shorter but takes 25 more meter to perform? What's the benefit here? 

Note that I'm fiddling with the USA release of the game but I'd imagine it's the same game. 

So I was fiddling around with trying the Yosuke combos in the Yosuke/S.Yosuke video we have stickied and my Sukukaja runs out way too early for me to do that whole thing.

I'm guessing those combos are no longer doable? 

Also, what the hell does SB Sukukaja do? The duration is even shorter but takes 25 more meter to perform? What's the benefit here? 

Note that I'm fiddling with the USA release of the game but I'd imagine it's the same game. 

I think SB Suku has invuln and allows you faster recovery.  And I think it would also help if I knew what kind of old Suku tech you were doing?

I just wanna be absolutely sure.

Oh.  D suku got fucked so hard in 1.1

Your recovery is so long so you are unable to combo after it anymore.  The console version is basically version 1.1 of the arcades so we need to search for the new current combos now.

GLide command changed from J2B~JAC to JAB~JAC.  DO NOT HOLD 2 DURING THIS AT ANY TIME!  The reason I say this is because Kunai's new Input is J2A/B.  Hitting J2AB results in EX Kunai which will fuck with your glides.

I know.  It has happened to all us Yosukes.

Maybe the combo could be 5AAAAA > j.236AA > j.236C > j.236AA > j.214214C/D

or

5AAAAA > j.236AA > j.236AA > j.236C > j.214214C/D

Pretty much thats our new suku combo from C suku mid combo.  Although you need to do J236B~B > J236D > J236B~B Because that will combo better.  A Moonsault would hit the floor before anything could happen.

I noticed the lack of backward hitbox on the j.A along with not being able to follow with 2AB with D for oki options.

Luckily, we got new tools to compensate for their loss.

On a fun bit of tech note, everyone should already know that you can moonsault in the corner to cross up your opponent but now, we can also mix that up with a same side attack while feinting cross over.

j.B > j.236A > A (cross over) 

j.B > j.236A > j.236C (same side)

The V Slash comes out just as it looks like you're about to cross over and it's pretty difficult to react to, especially after you've shown them the cross up. You can use D V Slash which will have the same effect but it just takes too long to come out and is much, much easier to react to so I don't recommend it. 

I noticed the lack of backward hitbox on the j.A along with not being able to follow with 2AB with D for oki options.

Luckily, we got new tools to compensate for their loss.

On a fun bit of tech note, everyone should already know that you can moonsault in the corner to cross up your opponent but now, we can also mix that up with a same side attack while feinting cross over.

j.B > j.236A > A (cross over) 

j.B > j.236A > j.236C (same side)

The V Slash comes out just as it looks like you're about to cross over and it's pretty difficult to react to, especially after you've shown them the cross up. You can use D V Slash which will have the same effect but it just takes too long to come out and is much, much easier to react to so I don't recommend it. 

After a knockdown is good to do jump > j.AB > Air dash (with 66) > mixup? Or is the glide necessary?

j.AB > 66 > j.B is pretty strong if you learn the spacing to make it look really ambiguous but glide mix up is still the best tool Yosuke has in terms of opening people up.

At least, that's what it seems like from my very limited experience thus far. 

Glide mix up after j.2C ender seems to be a bit iffy, especially in a game where people don't stay on the ground for longer than quarter of a second.

Even when I land a glide j.A and they get hit in the air, I'm not seeing a good way to follow up since j.A has very short untechable time. 

5AA glide mix up seems to be the best use of it, as long as you space it properly with like 5AA > 2A > 5AA > glide > etc. 

Also, what are our safe jump options off popular knockdowns? 

Whew man, the new Yosuke feels totally different than what I expected, P4A muscle memory is hurting me more than I thought it would, too

Glide mix up after j.2C ender seems to be a bit iffy, especially in a game where people don't stay on the ground for longer than quarter of a second.

Even when I land a glide j.A and they get hit in the air, I'm not seeing a good way to follow up since j.A has very short untechable time. 

5AA glide mix up seems to be the best use of it, as long as you space it properly with like 5AA > 2A > 5AA > glide > etc. 

Also, what are our safe jump options off popular knockdowns? 

The moment you land after the glide j. A, do like 66~A, and the dash momentum will carry him forward into the 5A. It makes the pick up way easier, and if they blocked the overhead you're actually able to get pressure instead of almost immediately being pushed out.

Also he doesn't have any real safe jumps. Neither j. 2C, nor DP leave him enough frame advantage to do a straight up jump normal with safe jump timing, so Yosuke is largely left having to play the 'are you going to DP on wake up or not' guessing game. He does have a set up after j. 2C, you do an immediate air dash, and either air turn j. B which will pass through them and make most DPs whiff, but hit them if they crouch block, and put them in blockstun if they stand block the cross up, or just airdash j. B which will leave you in front but is not a safe jump against most characters (some DPs will whiff because you'll pass through their sprite during the I frames).  Some Japanese players also opt for a late forward jump air turn as a DP bait, since they'll jump over the DP, and if they didn't, they can either start attacking, or double jump/moonsault to get away from trouble. Characters with reversals in the 15+ frame class you can meaty 2A and it's safe. Unless you're near the corner, a meaty glide with cross up trajectory will not actually hit them, at least not with meaty timing.

Mixing up your meaties (2A, jump normal, glide j. A, glide empty low, moonsault crossups, fake crossups with EX moonsault) goes a long way in playing the wake up game.

Honestly, most of the videos I've seen of Japanese players, even the higher ranked ones (fin especially) will just walk up 5A/2A as their meaty. 

66~A works fine for continuation if you hit him while they're on the ground.

I was mentioning when they're hit while being in the air.

Also, I've found using 5AA constantly instead of 5A only to be very good practice most of the time so you can jump cancel and go into all sorts of other things. Previously, I would always go 5A > 5B to make use of the +1 5B for frame traps but now I don't use 5B nearly as much.  

On a side note, I've noticed that after j.2C combo ender, it they try to jump immediately out of your glide mix-up, they can be thrown immediately. 

The throw will connect from behind and is pretty quick.

If you're talking meaty, 5A/2A will probably be best since you can gatling into basically anything after them. Just get the timing right since the active frames on those moves are lacking compared to something like 5B.

I'll probably use glide and air turns as DP baits with some special consideration for DPs that hit both sides(Kanji/Mitsuru etc). 

Couldn't you do safe jumps for Teddie and Chie at least, since their DPs are counters? Possibly Naoto as well, and Labrys/Shabrys because that DP is pretty bad.

Well, safe jump means you get to press a button but will bait the DP anyway so not really. 

Baiting counter based DPs is a different matter since all you have to do is just not press a button as you're coming down or instead opt to press one that has much longer start up frames depending on who we're talking about. 

Are there any primer type things written for P4UA Yosuke? I have no idea what I'm doing other than trying to land the j2c combo as much as possible. The wiki is pretty bare right now too :( 

Learn to glide effectively.

Play neutral with things like jB (Really important), jA, jD, 5A, 2A.

Learn the blockstrings like 5AA > 2A > 5AA > Glide cross up.

jB/Falling jB is really good to use in the air because it has a fairly large hitbox.

jA is quickish, mostly used when crossing people up.

jD is used as a distraction or something to use just to keep your opponent occupied while you move across the screen. Use it with caution because frequent uses will result in a Persona Break.

5A is a quick ground normal with a really good hitbox and leads into all his damaging combos.
2A is okay to use in situations but isn't THAT good of a starter, can be used for things like tick throws.

Your goal with Yosuke is to play really good neutral and to land a hit, go into a knockdown and run your knockdown game using things like Glide mixup, throws and throw baits, lows, jB Fuzzies, etc