Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Setsuna

[P4AU] Labrys Gameplay Discussion

I've always called the Asterius Shadow Labrys Slabs, so this hasn't bothered me the, like, two times I've talked about the new Shadow Labrys.

Well the character select screen refers to one as Shadow Labrys (the one w Asterious) and one as Shadow-Type Labrys (the one w Ariadne). I don't think the differentiation is too difficult.

Alright everybody! I'm going to be going to Wednesday Night Fights this week, where they're having a special event with P4AU there! Imma give another rundown of stuff I learn using the extra exp I got from playing the demo at EVO. I'll write it all down Thursday afternoon most likely.

Excellent. I was actually wondering yesterday if any of SoCal's Labrys players would be able to make it out to the event. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

wait this character isn't dead? Sweet. Show'em the flash. Also you need to confirm if FeMC color is still in that build since that might be the golden one. PR rep was making it sound like they wouldn't have them, but EVO clearly did and he kinda doens't know shit about anything.

Regarding bubble, is it possible it has a damage cap on the projectiles it can eat, like Asterius? That might explain why it might be able to eat multiple fans but pops against Maragi.

Getting an evernote error page ;.;

Very lazily copy-pasted

Alright I'm writing this immediately after I got back from WNF at about 5 in the morning while I still remember things. Please forgive any mistakes.

Starting with tech data and moving into matchup notes after. Discovered a lot of stuff already at EVO and with the time I had I didn't really catch as much as I did back then.

Tech

-S.Labrys still sucks. However, she keeps the accent in shadow mode from the bits I heard.

-h5B>236B now works on Naoto/Labrys/Shabrys. No complications with anyone else so far. YAASSSSSSSSSSS
-5AA>5B>sweep>214AB still doesn't work, sweep>214B/AB doesn't seem to confirm off regular combo

-Throw teching no longer breaks Ariadne arrow setup. If you set up arrow and go for meaty throw and they throw tech, the arrow puts them in blockstun (this is secondhand from watching AcidAce play, will test further upon release). May just be cause of being used to holding the arrow setup causing it to not come out until the throw but I thought this was interesting.

-Chain Knuckle>6A overhead is still not a legit blockstring. However, the gap is smaller than in P4A.

-Chain Overhead>214B is a legit blockstring. However, when done from long distance, the first hit can whiff causing a gap in the string. Should be noted if you decide to chain from long range in neutral

-Bubble (Hojuu/236D) eats other projectiles for breakfast

-Chain Knuckle overhead>214B red axe chip is real. Got somewhere around I wanna say 1.2-1.5k chip off 236A>6A>214AB>236A>6A>214B. Rough estimate however. Was done to a Narukami.

-max distance 5B>5C>2C>236D in corner can be an interesting blockstring pressure setup. If not punished, will allow nice spacing harassment options. However, extremely minus, punished by Minazuki microdash 5A (may have been me being too confident and pushing a button after, memory is fuzzy). May want to also consider using 236A as a frame trap or 2C dash cancel, or just ending in 2C.

Matchup Notes

Jesus Christ-I mean Narukami

-rekka move is special cancellable, player I fought mainly used it to go into B Lion feint

-command grab is actually more telegraphed and seems more reactable than previously thought

-Labrys 2B seems to go under Narukami air fireballs even when done extremely low to the ground

-Issen is 2 hits. Letting you know now. Block. The. Second. Hit. Before. You. Punish.

Minazuki

-If Minazuki teleports, 2B will snuff that move on reaction. The teleport is also Fatal Recovery, meaning yay fun 2B combos.

-Hojuu/Bubble/236D is so far no good in the Minazuki matchup due to his Persona normals hitting Ariadne from behind and popping her before the bubble happens.

-His Persona normals all have a huge amount of recovery on block and his options afterwards are pretty limited. Other than teleport, he can also cancel into knife toss on block, which still presents a huge gap.

-Minazuki 5A is generally easy to outspace with 5B in neutral

-Minazuki's special that launches him in the air on block will give him a few options. He can either go for straight pressure with it (very easily reacted to with 2B), air backdash (still gets beat by Labrys 2B cause of lolactiveframes), use 25 SP for a frame trap (beats rolls, and there is a gap. He lands immediately, so unsure if gears will work), or use his air DP that sends him downwards.

-Tsukuyomi normals have very deceptively large hitboxes. Always be ready to block them, even when Minazuki is in the air.

-without meter, Minazuki can't seem to answer wakeup gears when Labrys is cornered

Yukari

-5B>5C chain will autobait Yukari DP mash: She'll slide forward, the attack will whiff right in front of Labrys, and the returning 5C will hit her

-Bubble/Hojuu is great for keeping her neutral a bit more restrained, or letting you move in a bit better. Unsure of future lockdown possibilities, but it seems to be a viable option to set up between full-screen projectile gaps.

-Punishing Yukari's DP is a crouching confirm.

Yukiko

-Can toss 2 j.B fans now, however the hitstun on 2B seems to have been reduced (according to LPT)

-New move with level 6 fire is an okay spacing tool but not too much that I'd worry about

-If you get the bubble out, fans get eaten up by it. And I mean -multiple- fans.

-Bubble seems to get broken when it comes into contact with Maragi

Regarding bubble, is it possible it has a damage cap on the projectiles it can eat, like Asterius? That might explain why it might be able to eat multiple fans but pops against Maragi.

Maybe, but maybe I'm thinking it's just cause fans are a lower level than Maragi or something of that nature. It does the same to Narukami fireballs. It took a fan before it hit the maragi iirc so maybe it's cause of the durability being taken up.

These are some interesting notes. Thank you for writing them. The bubble being so sturdy is a pleasant surprise though I guess it's necessary because of how slow it travels.

Found a way to basically start at each axe level without having to stick at default and combo your way to the axe level you wanna start at.

So what you have to do is pause and set it to 1 level under the axe level you want. Then unpause it and let the effect take place and then set it back to default. This should take somewhere around 2-3 seconds. With the axe levels listed the training mode options puts them at just the end of the threshold so it should only take 1 hit to go up an axe level.

Tl;dr example:

I wanna practice a Yellow Axe combo starter. I pause and set it to green, unpause, then pause and set it to default. Then I hit the dummy with 1 5A and I'm in Yellow. Simple

Interesting. That's a nice trick. I'll have to keep it in mind when I get the game next week. Though, I hope ASW eventually adds in a "Start at Axe Level X" setting to go along with the Fixed ones.

So, how's everyone enjoying the new Labrys now that they've had their hands on her for about a month? In particular, I'm curious what people think of the new pressure options.

Interesting. That's a nice trick. I'll have to keep it in mind when I get the game next week. Though, I hope ASW eventually adds in a "Start at Axe Level X" setting to go along with the Fixed ones.

So, how's everyone enjoying the new Labrys now that they've had their hands on her for about a month? In particular, I'm curious what people think of the new pressure options.

At the moment it's still reaaaallllyyy sketchy with her. They didn't really help her defense options but they did give her some decent mid-range fuckery tools with 5B dash/backdash and sweep low profiling a lot of important moves that it didn't last game like Mitsu 5A and Narukami 5B. She did also lose reward off 5A outside of yellow or crouch confirms cause of the 5AA change but 5AA>5B>sweep goes green to yellow on block so it's kinda even I guess? Kinda feel like they made her around the same area as last game. Most of the options are kinda bad but then since no one plays her the matchup is weird to everyone and Labrys is still good at punishing bad habits and straight -murdering- people for them (case in point https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4ZPeXBg4Zk )

Anyway, felt I'd let the guys here know about the Labrys chat we started a while back on Skype. I'll be posting all the new stuff I find there before I post it here so that I can get second opinions and optimize it before I post it in the threads here. In the chat we can also help any newer/struggling Labrys players who can use advice or ideas. You can hit me up on Skype at rsquareda if you're interested!

Hmmm, I see. Thank you for your impressions. It pretty much matches my thoughts from watching videos. Oh well. I'm still very much in this to win it with Labrys. I'm looking forward to playing her next week.

Also, guess I'll hop in on that Skype chat and put my skype to use, lol

The Skype thing dead? I like to share some of my knowledge and get a couple of shared ideas on my approach. I'll probably write out all my personal complaints but overall this Labrys is 100% better compared to her vanilla self. I'm really starting to hate that feeling of jB jC 214A 236236D whiffing, of course I go to the training room and practice it but in a real time match I only land it 85% of the time and rather not drop it at those important moments or game winning combos.

edit- Skype: sadeyo.amatsu

The Skype thing dead? I like to share some of my knowledge and get a couple of shared ideas on my approach. I'll probably write out all my personal complaints but overall this Labrys is 100% better compared to her vanilla self. I'm really starting to hate that feeling of jB jC 214A 236236D whiffing, of course I go to the training room and practice it but in a real time match I only land it 85% of the time and rather not drop it at those important moments or game winning combos.

edit- Skype: sadeyo.amatsu

Eh. It does take some getting used to, but I honestly prefer the C version being easier to land, particularly in a netplay environment. Gone are the days of throwing away axe levels for guarenteed damage just because of finicky connections.

EDIT: Speaking of jB>jC, has anyone else noticed the game lags severely if you do 5AA>2B>sj>jB>jC, even offline?

EDIT: Speaking of jB>jC, has anyone else noticed the game lags severely if you do 5AA>2B>sj>jB>jC, even offline?

I seriously thought I may have had too many friends on friends list but I've experienced this too in an offline environment that I've literally joked around about Labrys breaking the game. It's actually in the Margaret video I posted here where it lags severely during jC or IAD with either jB or j2B on rare occasions. If this is to emphasize how hard Labrys is hitting I would prefer if they took it out the game or more people fuss about it.

btw, how popular is Labrys across the world? My matches with the online and offline over here is that she's pretty rare or nonexistent.

this doesn't happen at all, you might want to check your install/game disc. Also you might just be confusing lag with how active the move is since it stops her air momentum and hangs there for a bit. 

btw, how popular is Labrys across the world? My matches with the online and offline over here is that she's pretty rare or nonexistent.

she's not popular anywhere

I seriously thought I may have had too many friends on friends list but I've experienced this too in an offline environment that I've literally joked around about Labrys breaking the game. It's actually in the Margaret video I posted here where it lags severely during jC or IAD with either jB or j2B on rare occasions. If this is to emphasize how hard Labrys is hitting I would prefer if they took it out the game or more people fuss about it.

I highly doubt the slow down was intentionally done. It feels like a bug. What I'm wondering is if this is a console specific thing, I'm on a PS3 myself.

As for her popularity, I've fought 4 since the JP release one of which was S. Type, that's already more than I'd run into in vanilla. Can't rule out the possibility that it's just curiosity though.

No

Talk about being blunt and not holding back, nearly cracked my own heart. 

I'm not a frame data guru or whatever reasoning you guys may have but under a personal impression I like this Labrys much more then her vanilla self.