Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hououin

New to this game, and Zappa, where should I begin

I can see Zappa is a complex character already, with a few great pokes and pressure options with his summons. But where do I even begin with learning him and this game? I also enjoy playing Millia, but feel she's too braindead to learn this game well. And I can't really understand how to utilize her okizeme and pressure game.

Anyway, back to Zappa. I kinda understand how to poke and stuff with him, but I can't even begin to comprehend pressuring with him. I'll start learning combos today, but that's probably as far as I'd be able to take him by myself. Would anybody be willing to help me learn the character? If not, how would I go about beginning to learn him? Thanks in advance!

Hi, welcome to our little section of Dustloop. In terms of learning Zappa, you can start with my tutorial. We're beginning to realize that in AC+R, Zappa works less of a pressure character and more of an annoying long-range character. That doesn't mean he can't be used for pressure, but many of the tactics veteran players were used to don't work the same way in the new version. But if you have any specific questions, let us know.

that tutorial is exactly what i was looking for! thanks a ton for that. Is his dog and ghost pressure still as insane? or was that nerfed? How does he play long ranged? Pokes and his splashy-move? Also, I see people with those continuous pressure strings that never end, and notice fuzzy guards and insane high-lows with that in Guilty Gear. I picked up this game and the only kind of pressure I know is jump-in and a basic block string. What is pressure in this game, and how does it work? Thanks for the reply!

I guess you're talking about in comparison to +R. This is also mostly from my POV but it doesn't seem like the dog is meant for the corner as much as he used to be. He seems to be designed much more as the other piece of bread to sandwich the opponent between it and Zappa to pressure. Having an overhead hit from behind the opponent (4D,D) is practically free and the dog has many ways of getting back there. The ghost pressure is a bit more difficult now that the range has been altered on ghost normals. The first ghost attack doesn't quite have the best reach so the f5S attack doesn't hit like it used to. The air splash (jHS) doesn't combo from anything anymore so it helps as a reset instead of a combo/blockstring. The ground splash (2HS) does combo but again range is a factor.

All pressure strings eventually end somewhere, the person blocking has options especially with tension or a burst. Pushback occurs also but it's how you fill the gaps that needs some creativity.