Sign in to follow this  
Kyle

May vs Johnny

Posted ImageJohnny

Stats 5.0/5.0 Mays Favor =P

I feel it's 6.5/3.5 but Meh...

Great Video examples

http://www.truveo.com/GGXX-SLASH-061203g323on014-23on23-%E5%9F%BC%E7%8E%89VS%E5%8D%83%E8%91%89/id/4151460962

Openers

K- May CH 6P/2D/3K

5FS – May CH 6P/2D/3K

TK Ensenga- May CH 6P

Coin- May3K/2D

6K- May CH 6P/2D/3K

5HS- May GUARD!!!!

Openers are amazing because this range is where you want to keep JO. DO you see all of the CH potential?

Punishes-

Generally no tension-

OHK

General 25%-

66, 5S, 2HS, FBSHD, 66, 5S, 5HS, Delay, SVD, 5S, 5HS, Delay, SVD, 5P, 5S, HSVD

Played correctly : Johnny isn’t in negative frame advantage. So you never really punish a special move. Johnny usually trains at you with loads of neutral ground, leaving him wide open for CH with the right pokes.

Super- May IB OHK

Counters

K- May CH 6P/2D/3K

5FS – May CH 6P/2D/3K

TK Ensenga- May CH 6P

Coin- May3K/2D

6K- May CH 6P/2D/3K

5HS- May GUARD!!!!

Anti Airing- PROPER anti-airing- 6P is not a catch all.

6P for Air Dash

Jump and IB his tricks

Johnny’s J.HS is EXACTLY like Slayer’s J.HS. Doing an Anti-Air against it is higher risk than reward. Your best option is to jump into it and IB, than land and throw.

Zoning

May completely controls where Johnny goes with Hoop sets. Put one over top of him for a free chance to get in. Put one over-top of you to force his offense, than you land you CH. Don’t bother with 5FS, or K at far range. Your biggest priority is to properly CH Counter Poke him.

Their game plan

Land a coin, so he can spend his coin & tension to combo you. LOL

May's Strategy

Counter Poke the SHIT out of him.

You control where he goes with hoops I promise

Try to keep him Right in front of you. Ideally, you will beat out EVERY poke of his except for Johnny’s 5HS.

Use a P Dolphin hoop to make him come to you-

Use a FRC HS Dolphin hoop for cover to come in-

Use a FBHSHD to come in-

Use a FBHSVD to come in-

Defensively you have 6P, 2D and 3K. All three of these beat out JO pokes EASY. 2 of them lead to free BIG damage with knockdown and amazing OKI.

6P beats his 5K, 5S, 5FS, 6K, TK Ensanga, Super, MF

2D beats out his 5K, 5S, 5FS, 6K, TK Ensanga, but it's less risk and slightly less reward to May's 6P

3K > everything Johnny has except blocking and 5H

May’s Advantage in this fight is her Insane ability to Counter Poke because of Johnny’s predictable high-risk pokes.

If you want to close the gap, you can also use May's dash > 3K. It really is a pain as it has a lot of "priority" and will stuff any incoming poke he will throw you should you time it not too late. It beats 5K, 2S, 2D, MF-K. Doing the 3K move while dashing allows you to have a lot of horizontal velocity therefore going farther. And you can go under his coins thanks to that while hitting him if he is not careful.

If you are always pre-emptively CH by his MF when you try dolphins, do the FB version so that if will be hit (at best) or will have to block (at worst).

Thanks to May's fast jump, you can also dash > jump > double jump while being ready to FD in case he MF-P (upper Mist Finer) then land with a j.2H when you are above him. If you time and space yourself correctly, he won't be able to MF-P (you'll be above it) or to 6P you when you'll be coming down on your anchor (j.2H). Keep in mind he can still jump > IB then air throw you or jump > IB land and punish you.

By the way, TK Ensenga RC leads to huge damage only when Johnny's opponent is near or in the corner. Though that is no reason to get hit by it even mid-screen, 6P goes right through it!!!

General comments-

Watch out for Johnny doing Dash throw, that’s tricky.

Jump and FD if scared

Don’t be predictable with your airdashes.

Be patient, he will kill himself.

Posted Image Counter Pokes > Posted Imagepokes

I would like to give a special thanks to TJ, KenMasterX, as I’ve learned all this b/c of these guys. Thanks, :yaaay:

Combo Specific Details.

Johnny is a fat Normal weight, and Knockdowns build great mix-up options. JI and Delays work, he's very simple to combo.

OHK Combo

6HS, SVD, 5S, HS, SVD, 5P,5S, HSVD

5D combo

Pro Dust 4, Impossible Dust with a Just frame J.HS. It's called her Jump Cancel Impossible Dust combo. Works Great on Anji

Application - D, [9], J.HS, J.HS, [/9], 159, Delay, J.HS, Land, 6HS, SVD, S, JI, HS, Delay, SVD, 5P, HSVD

6P combo

Yep Yep a go go

IAD combo

Yep Yep a go go\

especially against Butterflies

Jackhound reliability

Yep Yep a go go\

Double Dolphin Upper

S, JI, HS, FBHSHD, J.HS, Land, HSVD…

2HS, 2D

Yep Yep

something for the JO matchup: - be specific about his coin setups. throw, 2D, MFKLV2, and many other moves are a guaranteed coin. if johnny dashes in a lot, chances are he's trying to throw you for a coin (or if he already has a level 2, an enkasu). try to see if there's any patterns leading up to when he throws you so you can predict when to tech. as for 2D's and MFKLV2's, you just have to watch out for them (though as something to note, MFKLV2 is only a guaranteed coin in the corner). - don't jump in on round start (or in general, though i guess that can't be avoided) unless you have something really specific planned. as soon as you become predictable, you're at the mercy of any MFP (even level 1's). startup on all of them are short enough to catch you off guard, and if he lands a level 2/3, you're especially boned because those are both free combos (depending on distance, but it's a good idea to avoid that anyways). - a coin spamming johnny is a panicked johnny. if he ends up linking coins with coins, that's when you know he's desperate. everything else you said is more or less spot on though. especially about loops restricting his mobility. may and ky are among my most hated matchups because they can both control the air so well :psyduck:.

Sup JO dudes.

Thanks guys,

Kyle

Sorry, not going to try and comment. I may know the ArcLord matchup, but I don't know the May matchup.

Eh whatever, I'll try. I do the same thing to May, what you say to do to Johnny, counter-poke. Sit around, be patient, and let 'em kill themselves. I originally I didn't want to comment, because if they are just killing themselves, instead of me killing them, then they clearly aren't doing all that can be done. And if they aren't doing everything they can, then I can't really know the matchup.

You also say to let them kill themselves on you, so maybe the Johnny's you've fought aren't doing all they can, also.

But yeah, didn't want to say anything since I don't fight many May's often, if at all. Maybe it's 5:5 for a reason; 'cause it's some sort of Tekken-ish counter-poke fest. First person to press a button loses.

Against Johnny, do NOT 6P when you expect him to use his super on wakeup. He'll recover faster than you and do dirty, dirty things to you. If you can hit him out of it, I haven't succeeded yet in doing so. I've had the 6p and the super wiff each other from the invincibility frames on both but he recovers so much faster than you do. Also speaking of Johnny, what do you do if he decided to play it safe with spamming 5H on the ground and using j.H for air to ground and j.S (long range) for air to air. When the Johnny in my area plays like this the only time I can manage to get in is when he gets bored and starts being aggressive or botches his timing. I've been slowly getting used to his mixup (blocking wise. I'm having trouble finding gaps where I can get away or get in his face. Though once he runs out of coins its a lot easier but then he starts jumping like crazy.) so now he's starting to turtle a little more against me.

I thought I just did? I sit around and counter-poke and punish unsafe moves. Literally, that is all I've ever done against every May I've ever fought, from XX to AC. But that strategy was born from my experience against pre-AC Mays. Maybe it still works, maybe it doesn't. I'm pretty sure that just the inclusion of FB-Dolphins, alone, makes the old strategy obsolete. But I have zero creditable AC-May experience, so I can't really say. TJ would be the Johnny to talk to. I think he plays with Nate regularly and I assume Nate's May has only gotten better in AC.

But I have zero creditable AC-May experience, so I can't really say...

Thx Pat.... >_o.

4r5 gets a tad bit predictable on wake-up super... but if you're dead sure JO gonna doet, 3k... Just don't expect to live long if u guessed wrong... lol.

Sign in to follow this