Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robi

Etiquette on joining player match parties

What is the proper etiquette for joining player matches?

Waiting 10-20 minutes for ranked matches knowing there are open parties is painful, but I don't want to just join one and be "that guy", especially because I'm pretty much always a lesser player than the host.

Note: I'm fairly new to the FGC, hence my inexperience with this.

"One and done" is the only one way to do it. Play one game, win or lose, and leave the room.

Okay, no, I'm joking. I don't think there's an "etiquette" per se besides just playing without leaving mid-match.

I just feel a bit weird about joining an A-ranked player's room when I'm D. I realise that the ranking system is a bit questionable, but still.

Thanks though!

The etiquette would be trying to join rooms where you have decent latency with the host. Don't skip intros because there's some kind of urban legend about that making games less laggy. There's also the urban legend about picking Mitsuru or Yukiko stage for less lag.

You don't actually have to be good to join player matches. Most people are fine with whatever. You usually get kicked if you're too good though. If you're impatient and want more matches, then I suggest making a 2 person lobby so you don't have to wait. It's also a good way to learn.

Do your best to find lobbies you have a decent connection to. Don't both if it's a 0. Also, be polite. Say hello, good luck, thanks for the games, etc. It's not necessary and no one will think badly if you don't, but it's just a nice thing to do.

Also, if you're godlike or something, pass once in a while. New players don't appreciate getting ran over endlessly by only one person.

It's also worth trying to make your own lobbies. be sure to mention your region in the title and maybe something saying 1/2 bar +. This way other people know what to expect and you don't have to feel as bad kicking people who live 3000 miles from you. I would have suggested simply setting the lobby to good connections only, but there really aren't enough 3 bars out there for that.

edit: decent latency is 2+ for most people, but 1 bars can be fine too. It's always worth trying a few matches before you write off a connection.

Sounds good.

Wow, that was an unexpected amount of responses! Thanks to y'all. <3

We're all nightowls it seems.

Oh yeah, another thing you shouldn't do is AFK in the lobby. If you do, make sure you have like a turbo setting or something so that you won't get stuck while you're AFK. I can't tell you how many times that's killed NYGamers lobbies. This shouldn't be a problem if you don't go AFK for very long. Also, if you're getting a lot of spectator lag consider leaving and reentering to room so that the next game can start.

Oh and be sure to inspect the players when you join. That way you'll know if they're around your level. Some of the better players like to play only against people at their level, so you might get kicked because of it.

Don't skip intros because there's some kind of urban legend about that making games less laggy. There's also the urban legend about picking Mitsuru or Yukiko stage for less lag.

Sarcasm? I can't tell if you're serious (darn you internet).

Regardless, I'll just point it out for the sake of Robi. Allowing intros (or at least the 2nd part of intros) to play out allows your connection to sync up with your opponent's. That's why it's a good idea to at least let it play out until it either ends or you can tell that it's synced properly (evidenced by a lack of small pauses in the intro).

As for the stages, Yukiko and Mitsuru's stages were found to have the least amount of background effects, which leads to less data that has to be processed during a game. Whether you use them or not is entirely up to you (as you might prefer stage variety), just note the fact that this has been tested and these stages are the only ones allowed during events like online tournaments because of this.

Regardless, I'll just point it out for the sake of Robi. Allowing intros (or at least the 2nd part of intros) to play out allows your connection to sync up with your opponent's. That's why it's a good idea to at least let it play out until it either ends or you can tell that it's synced properly (evidenced by a lack of small pauses in the intro).

Doesn't even need to be the second part, it's just whenever the game stops chugging along. If it just doesn't stutter at all during the intro, you don't even need to watch any part of it, because the game isn't going to get any smoother than what it already is (for better or for worse).

Doesn't even need to be the second part, it's just whenever the game stops chugging along. If it just doesn't stutter at all during the intro, you don't even need to watch any part of it, because the game isn't going to get any smoother than what it already is (for better or for worse).

Most people skip the first part of the intro without checking and use the 2nd one to gauge any stuttering (or at least from what I've seen). I should have pointed out that it wasn't necessary if there's no stuttering, though. Thanks for catching that.

Ok. I'll admit I've just been spamming to get the match to start on ranked matches. Guess I'll stop that now. :p

And once again, thanks for all the responses!