Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PozerWolf

Is it scrubby to spam DP during Lag Spikes?

whenever i'm playing someone and there a lag spike i spam dp to see if i can catch them pressing a button. i got a hatemail early saying that was scrubby online only tactic

is it wrong to spam dp in lag?

I wouldn't say it's wrong necessarily but it's not exactly correct either. It seems like you're more concerned with winning in online matches rather than getting better. You're giving yourself bad habits, all for the sake of trying to win online. Ever hear of Netplay tactics?

I'd say if it's too laggy to play seriously and you find yourself considering this option, then there's no point in playing anyway and you should put down the controller.

If the lag is really bad, I'd rather just leave the match instead of trying to play.

Regardless, I wouldn't necessarily call it "scrubby", but I would definitely call it "netplay tactics". Take that as you will.

You could play online with minimal lag and play normally, as if offline. Online tactics would be like doing blockstrings that are like, -3, but they end up being + on block due to lag, so you continue to do terrible things simply because they are working online and you're winning, rather than getting better. That's an example of netplay tactics. Purple throws are a huge problem online, and you'll see them far more often online than offline (almost never offline outside of TRM setups).

Its definitely a bad habit...something of which I should break myself. I just panic when someone gets in on me, then its like....DPDPDPDPDP...

what separates online play from online tactics?

Online play under optimal condition would render the tactic a failure. Just ponder the reason why you only do the DP spam during lag spikes rather than all the time. That reason is the one and the same which makes it into a netplay tactic.

Online play under optimal condition would render the tactic a failure. Just ponder the reason why you only do the DP spam during lag spikes rather than all the time. That reason is the one and the same which makes it into a netplay tactic.

That statement was talking about in general.

What separates online play from online tactics? Since the same rules don't apply from online to offline, what factors in as an "online tactic" if the meta game is completely different from someone playing online versus someone using online tactics?

If it works against your opponent, it's not scrubby in my opinion. It may be agitating, but they shouldn't be getting hit by in the first place if it's so "scrubby". And if you were scrubby you wouldn't be making this thread asking if it was "scrubby".

i see what pozerwolf means,

Then maybe something like that should be classified as 'lag tactics' rather than online tactics?

That statement was talking about in general.

What separates online play from online tactics? Since the same rules don't apply from online to offline, what factors in as an "online tactic" if the meta game is completely different from someone playing online versus someone using online tactics?

That's the entire point, though. If it doesn't work without input delay, you call it an online tactic. Doesn't have to be lag spikes or anything. If you're even talking about the "online meta game," that's too deep into online tactics. I wouldn't call it scrubby, though. It's just relying on things that don't work nearly as well in offline conditions.

The reason people call it scrubby is because they feel cheated. All of their moves have 50 billion frames of added start-up due to lag, so even my dog could DP them on reaction. So ultimately any way you try to play can and will get blown up by a DP.

Many will say "well the simple solution is to punish the DP spammer by baiting the spam with your vast array of 1337 spam punishing techniques." And normally they'd be right. But if you consider the situation, you'll find that that is not exactly possible. with the game state slowed down, such attempts become obvious, and even if miraculously they do work the pay-off isn't nearly as rewarding. Lag will often disrupt the lengthy punish combos, or sometimes make the punish impossible in the first place.

Lag not only makes DP opportunities easy to find, but it makes them safer too.

If you find yourself struggling to empathize with the victims of laggy DP spam, simply imagine a world where your character moves at half speed and Ragna can has the option to Rapid cancel inferno divider on block or whiff for free. Do you want to live in that world?

I wouldn't call it scrubby, but it's definitely a tactic that can potentially be ridiculously annoying.

It all depends on how often it happens. If it's once or twice per match, whatever.

I spam throws if the match is too laggy to play. Also, fuck netplay.