Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Midnight-Zephyr

Im in a rut and require assistance.

I have had a very tough time the past couple of years learning BlazBlue. Recently, it seems like I was starting to actually get better at it, but with CP english on the horizon, I fear that Im gonna start from square one again.

I lurk here every now and then, and make the occasional passing comment, but Ive never actually sat down and asked for help to this extent (I didnt really know how without coming off as stupid or a jackass, as foolish as that sounds.)

As the name explains, Im stuck at a wall when it comes to BB. Ive played the game for roughly 2 1/2 years and most of my skills are self-taught (I know terminology and stuff from combo & tutorial vids, but little else outside that.) Because I had virtually no assistance learning this game, my pressure and Neutral FAIL, regardless of character. I have no knowledge on frame data as well, as another point to my ignorance. Actually, the only thing im good at is combos and even then I drop a good 30-50% of them.

They say stating what you did wrong is the first step to improvement, so there it is. What Im asking is for someone to teach me (or better yet, guide me) to get out of this rut of ignorace and failure. Im open to any form of advice.

Thank you to anyone who read and even bothered to look at this request. I just want to improve.

Join the Izayoi Skype group or the BBCP matchmaking group, you'll find players who can play with you and give you tips. It's really important to get feedback from people while playing.

Alright, but first I have to make a Skype account lol (Never really thought about making one prior to now.)

When I get it set up I'll PM ya the name.

Well I'm pretty much self taught myself, I've been playing around the same amount of time you have, what I've learned to do a lot is really watch my own replays and tried to see what went wrong, ask questions around the board cause I know there are players that have been in similar situations or are more experienced then I am. Usually from there I might go in training room and practice the situations that I had trouble with and try to see what I could of done or see if I got hit by an online gimmick. Though like a lot of things that require a lot of time, its hard to gauge your own progress cause we are the harshest critic to our self.

a really good thing to do is record matches/videos of yourself playing and then watch them after the fact- it really helps you pick out what you're doing that's dumb. also watch lots of jp matches and copy what they do as far as movement tactics etc

like everyone else has said watching videos and analyzing them (yours and others) can help alot. For your combos a thing i do expecially when a new version of the game drops is spend ALOT of time in training mode. The first couple days try and do 5 consistent reps of a combo before moving onto another combo then do 5 reps of that combo, if you mess up once on whatever combo your working on restart the count. its annoying but it will help with muscle memory. When you get into CP come in pretty much accepting the fact that you are gonna suck. combo routes change, timing changes, everything changes, for me a good thing to do is mess with 2 characters that way your dont get to fed up with your first choice and muscle memory from the last game doesnt completely override what your doing in this one.

@Grendy: I was debating dropping Jin (He was my main in Extend), because I couldnt adapt well to the new move mechanics, but now Ive decided to just sit down and try to re-learn the dude. Im also learning Izayoi. As a fresh new character Ive taken interest in.

@Crimson & Cake: I try that every now and then, but because Im not too saavy when it comes to terms and general skill, I only notice the glaringly obvious (Whiffing throws & DPs, Jumping into an opponens setup, etc.) I should probably just get some recording equipment and upload the replays to a critique thread.

On another note, Im kinda good as Kagura & Mitsuru from their respective games. I think its just because they're good characters in which case im autopiloting and need to stop (I still love them though).

@Grendy: I was debating dropping Jin (He was my main in Extend), because I couldnt adapt well to the new move mechanics, but now Ive decided to just sit down and try to re-learn the dude. Im also learning Izayoi. As a fresh new character Ive taken interest in.

@Crimson & Cake: I try that every now and then, but because Im not too saavy when it comes to terms and general skill, I only notice the glaringly obvious (Whiffing throws & DPs, Jumping into an opponens setup, etc.) I should probably just get some recording equipment and upload the replays to a critique thread.

On another note, Im kinda good as Kagura & Mitsuru from their respective games. I think its just because they're good characters in which case im autopiloting and need to stop (I still love them though).

Well I had similar problems with Jin when I was trying to get used to playing him in this iteration, what kinda helps is to get a few combos down, play some arcade mode or just sit with an AI on in training mode. The idea is really to just get used to the changes in a situations that isn't to stress heavy (or feeling that huge urge to win or whatever) and just to readjust your muscle memory really. I had this problem when I tried to play CP Noel cause everything I knew was really different, though in my case I had some people to play with locally so I did't feel pressured to try and keep my spot in a online lobby or anything like that.

As for recording matches, you don't need anything fancy, if you have a smart device just record a replay and just post it up.

Oh boy autopiloting is something pretty tough to break really. I came from UMvC3 before I went back to BB (and I was playing BB before UMvC3) and I had a huge problem with just straight up autopiloting, what helped me break that was really just taking a break from the game and trying to change my out look on the game, your mental condition (that means like how tired you feel or your mood and etc) can make an impact on this too, generally the more tired you are (at least from my experience and what I've seen) you generally tend to fall for a pattern you don't realize you put yourself in entering that autopilot mode and it helps to take breaks, getting air, some water and such.

Sometimes I'll take a week or two haitus from the game, and when I get back, I can play somewhat better.

I like to to to training mode a lot, but when I go to an actual match, I cant really apply any of what Ive learned (I really should've put that in the OP.)

I wish I had people to play with locally. All I got is my brother. He doesnt know the game and just uses Tager. It hardly counts.

Very rarely have I noticed myself sinking into autopilot, and have made a concious effort to stop it. Its usually after aforementioned haitus, or other activity to help cool down.

I should be getting a new phone in the upcoming months, so I could use that.