Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tataki

BlazBits Indiegogo Campaign (Update: FAQ section added to the IGG page; we reached 1500$!)

Our BlazBits campaign has officially started! Please help us by spreading the word!

http://igg.me/at/blazbits

Also feel free to ask any questions here.

Are there supposed to be zero videos in the Airdash Academy playlist? If not you may wish to fix that, if so, maybe it's not the best advertisement?

Are there supposed to be zero videos in the Airdash Academy playlist? If not you may wish to fix that, if so, maybe it's not the best advertisement?

We've mentioned overall 4 times that the first video will be up on March 20. The link is there so that people would know where to find it, once it gets filled with plenty of episodes. And it will, during this month.

Just put some money down to help you guys out. Good luck on the project, Guilty Bits was really helpful and I can tell Blazbits is taking it to the next level! Looking forward to casting my votes!

Also, any ETA on when we can expect to be able to vote after the campaign is over?

Nearly $10K for some fighting game videos? Get real. Most of us wouldn't care if you made these in Windows Movie Maker, as long as the information was solid and the editing coherent.

Here's a prime example of how to make a really effective tutorial video on a shoestring budget. Heck, you don't even need voiceovers. I don't like them, they're distracting and make it harder for me to process the info.

Serious question: What happens when they release a new version of the game with different system mechanics and different combos? Almost ten grand is quite a bit of money to spend on a series of informational videos that will very likely become outdated within two years (assuming CP is "finished" as of the latest patch and doesn't get rebalanced again).

A FAQ section has been added to the campaign page. Please read it first and only then read my answers here.

With that said:

Nearly $10K for some fighting game videos? Get real. Most of us wouldn't care if you made these in Windows Movie Maker, as long as the information was solid and the editing coherent.

Here's a prime example of how to make a really effective tutorial video on a shoestring budget. Heck, you don't even need voiceovers. I don't like them, they're distracting and make it harder for me to process the info.

1. That is your personal opinion, but most people do appreciate the aesthetics, the narration etc.

2. The aesthetics are only a small part of the budget. The vast majority of it (~85%) goes on the content itself. Writing the script, recording, and editing the video timeline+text etc. So even if I made the videos like the example, considering that the content is still supposed to be 10 minutes X 26 episodes, the budget needed won't be that much different. And if I'm doing it, I'd rather go the extra mile and make something fancy that will attract more people.

Serious question: What happens when they release a new version of the game with different system mechanics and different combos? Almost ten grand is quite a bit of money to spend on a series of informational videos that will very likely become outdated within two years (assuming CP is "finished" as of the latest patch and doesn't get rebalanced again).

This is exactly the reason that want to work full time and get it all done ASAP. The problem you describe is meant to be SOLVED with the funding. And think about it this way: On your side it's just 1 dollar, or 5, or whatever you want to donate.

It's not "wasted money" because each person paid several dollars to get this content.

But let me make this clearer- Video content is NOT for the people who's 2nd home is dustloop. It's NOT for the people who feel comfortable learning from the flow of textual information in a forum. From that practical standpoint video content need not exist. Too costly in time and effort. But there are many people who prefer learning from videos rather than dwelling in a forum. So even if you aren't interested in this, they are.

I suppose it could be useful as a sort of community outreach. But really, if someone wants to get competitive, they'll have to come here either way. Even with the video.

It's true that all of this information is already out there, and there is something to be said for packaging it up in a presentable fashion. It's not like cook books are showing you anything that hasn't been done 100 times before.

I feel like each character could have something put together free by one of their better players, in a month, though.

The ultimate test is how many are willing to pay for it. If people are then I guess that settles whether it's worth it to them.

I feel like each character could have something put together free by one of their better players, in a month, though.

This is ideal talk. It requires 26 people who not only know their characters, but also have the will to do it, know how to do it well, and have the equipment (HD capture equipment, etc.) to do it. In reality such a case never happens. If it would be this simple you'd be seeing it done on the internet already.

You may see 1 or 2 character tutorials that won't even get the attention they deserve, and that's pretty much it. If you want better results you need to think in bigger terms, and make bigger sacrifices.

I'm planning on throwing you guys $10. Really hope you get funded!

I'm currently in the process of moving to a different city, but after all those costs are over, I'll try and contribute.

I'm planning on throwing you guys $10. Really hope you get funded!

Thank you. Any help is appreciated :)

But really, if someone wants to get competitive, they'll have to come here either way. Even with the video.

I plugged Dustloop, Meltybread and Homingcancel at the opening of Airdash Academy. I intend on plugging it in the opening of of BlazBits as well.

This is ideal talk. It requires 26 people who not only know their characters, but also have the will to do it, know how to do it well, and have the equipment (HD capture equipment, etc.) to do it. In reality such a case never happens. If it would be this simple you'd be seeing it done on the internet already.

You may see 1 or 2 character tutorials that won't even get the attention they deserve, and that's pretty much it. If you want better results you need to think in bigger terms, and make bigger sacrifices.

Yeah that's the thing, I feel I have the knowledge, just no equipment enabling me to capture footage and make videos. It's why I had offered a while back to help for free for the Bang video. Offer's still up btw!

Yeah. Back when everyone was like "Let's do community videos for CS!" I think ONE got made.  It's simply not feasable to expect "the community" to come up with 26 videos worth of content.

Why should I trust you to do a good job with this game when the last time I saw you talk about BB you said shit like this:

twitter.com/novriltataki/status/218486251425239041

No, I don't forget

Why should I trust you to do a good job with this game when the last time I saw you talk about BB you said shit like this:

twitter.com/novriltataki/status/218486251425239041

No, I don't forget

I was really, really salty after a tournament loss and that tweet was 2 years ago. I could have smashed my arcade stick on the floor instead like the FGC standard seems to be nowadays but that HRAP3 SA cost me a ton of money to import...

But regardless, I'm glad you raised the question of what I think about BB as a player.

Like any fighting game, BB has some things that I like and other things that I don't like, regarding both its mechanics and its aesthetics, but after several years -- and after the reveal of +R calmed the whole bitter/frustrated GG playerbase down, myself included -- I've learned to accept BB for what it is, and after barely touching CS2 and completely abandoning during CSEX, I decided to give BB a fresh start, and came back for CP with a new main character on the very first day the console version came out in Asia.

In GG, I dislike 2 frame FRCs but that has not prevented me from making a good FRC tutorial that helps players make them as easy as possible. And in the same manner, my dislikes for specific aspects of BB will not prevent me from putting out the best tutorials possible. That is what being professional is all about. I keep my personal preferences as a player out of the way, as my goal is to make the best guide possible period.

Life is not black and white, and everyone is allowed to be somewhere between the 2 extremes of "it's perfect" and "it's total shit".

If you expect me to be a totally devoted fanboy of something, that would make me a WORSE content editor, not a BETTER one.

All I ask of you is to judge me by the quality and effort I put into my work right now, and not by tweets of frustration from 2 years ago.

so here's my question. i see on the campaign that you're going to refer to roughly 1-3 experts on each character that are from this forum. i would like to know who these experts are. it's critical to know who's responsible for the material that you're going to be making your videos around, as it also determines the quality of these videos. i'm not going to support a campaign that will end up making shitty videos.

i know that this may violate the privacy of your planned content, but i honestly do believe that you should state your references. i'd rather be spoiled and know where exactly my (or rather, our) money is going into, instead of donating to a cause that i have no idea what content it will even create.

I honestly don't care about your feeling for the game. That is 100% irrelevant. What I AM saying is that your comments on the game and how it works (which don't seem to have changed since you're saying you accept BB "for what it is") has convinced me that you don't understand BB well enough to be producing tutorial content for them. Even if the tutorials are for new players, if the foundation for them is from someone who doesn't fully understand the game then those new players are screwed.

However, if your job is literally just transplanting other people's words into video footage (I'm honestly not sure if that's what you did for Guilty Bits), then okay, fine.

I was expecting your answer because I was going to lead into KayEff's question

All I ask of you is to judge me by the quality and effort I put into my work right now

Judging by your recent Airdash Academy episode, I can't justify giving you money to keep making content similar to that. Downright terrible info and advice for something you clearly don't understand, prefaced by your opinion on what you do and don't like in fighting games. Guilty Bits also had it's fair share of problems, so your track record isn't great. Show me something worth giving you money for before you ask for money, and then be reasonable about it. 9.5k is ridiculous especially for the quality of your work.

9.5k is ridiculous especially for the quality of your work.

to be fair, roughly 1.7k is going towards paying for the experts.

and let's be honest, if i'm getting $60 just for giving tidbits of information i'd push this fucking campaign like obama pushed obamacare

(yes i'm a piece of shit) :v:

I'll try to answer the responses the best I can.

so here's my question. i see on the campaign that you're going to refer to roughly 1-3 experts on each character that are from this forum. i would like to know who these experts are. it's critical to know who's responsible for the material that you're going to be making your videos around, as it also determines the quality of these videos. i'm not going to support a campaign that will end up making shitty videos.

i know that this may violate the privacy of your planned content, but i honestly do believe that you should state your references. i'd rather be spoiled and know where exactly my (or rather, our) money is going into, instead of donating to a cause that i have no idea what content it will even create.

The experts are carefully handpicked from this forum, and the peer review process does wonders to polish the content, which is what we learned while making Guilty Bits. Every crowdfunding project is about trust, and hopefully we've earned the trust of enough people who like what we have accomplished so far. If you can't trust the team nor your fellow players on the forums, then simply don't donate, and move on.

I honestly don't care about your feeling for the game. That is 100% irrelevant. What I AM saying is that your comments on the game and how it works (which don't seem to have changed since you're saying you accept BB "for what it is") has convinced me that you don't understand BB well enough to be producing tutorial content for them. Even if the tutorials are for new players, if the foundation for them is from someone who doesn't fully understand the game then those new players are screwed.

However, if your job is literally just transplanting other people's words into video footage (I'm honestly not sure if that's what you did for Guilty Bits), then okay, fine.

I was expecting your answer because I was going to lead into KayEff's question

I'm taking the dry info and put it into words in the best way possible, basically allowing the character experts to accurately express what they want to express.

As I said, judge me by my videos. We have already made a 3 minute video example covering Jin's 5C, and I'd like you to tell me what is wrong with it. Thousands of people watched it already, and I haven't heard a single complaint about it yet.

and let's be honest, if i'm getting $60 just for giving tidbits of information i'd push this fucking campaign like obama pushed obamacare

I assure you the experts are going to work hard for that money. "Tidbits of information" is far from it.

Judging by your recent Airdash Academy episode, I can't justify giving you money to keep making content similar to that. Downright terrible info and advice for something you clearly don't understand, prefaced by your opinion on what you do and don't like in fighting games. Guilty Bits also had it's fair share of problems, so your track record isn't great. Show me something worth giving you money for before you ask for money, and then be reasonable about it. 9.5k is ridiculous especially for the quality of your work.

There's a phrase which I like by George Herbert, that the best revenge is living well. I used to spend way too much energy on being angry about things I don't like and people I don't like. Now I'm working on taking all that negative energy and converting it into positive energy i.e. motivation for work, creation and self improvement. It's not an easy process but it's the only way to make sure things will get done.

You said you were planning to make P4U2 tutorials with the help of several other players for the benefit of the community and IMO that's a worthy reason to put all internet drama aside and focus on productiveness. I wish you good luck with that.

"5c -> 2d is a tight chain"

video shows dp out on normal block

5c -> 3c at close range when talking about neutral implies you should be using raw 5c not at near max range, don't mention 2C cancel at all.

combo route shown when talking about oki has no oki

that's some stuff i saw wrong when i watched it once

"5c -> 2d is a tight chain"

video shows dp out on normal block

5c -> 3c at close range when talking about neutral implies you should be using raw 5c not at near max range, don't mention 2C cancel at all.

that's some stuff i saw wrong when i watched it once

The whole sentence is "tight chain which is risky to try get out of" and not "tight chain which is impossible to try get out of". Should we replaced the word "tight" with "pretty tight" since the only thing you can really do is to commit to an invincible move that advances forward? Maybe. We are always open to improvements, and all those tiny improvements from 99.5% to 100% are a part of the reason we need more experts per character, more peer review and more time to work on each script. But the example shown on the screen shows the situation accurately, so trying to use this as an example to how we don't understand the game is really pushing it...

It doesn't "imply" anything. This is a merely fraction of a real episode. A full episode would also include other normals that do need to be used at closer ranges, and we were referring to 5C->3C ON HIT. We mentioned 5 seconds later that ON BLOCK the safest option is jump canceling. 2C tends to whiff in most situations, and 5C->2C has a 1 frame gap in between.

We don't have time to show every combo twice, once for damage and once for okizeme, so we show the commonly used one. The 2nd stretch goal would provide the alternatives, if people want them, but combos are not a main focus in the series. And in any case we could probably improve the text by adding the word "or" in the sentence.