Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kaworu

Constructive Video Criticism

This is a thread for anyone who has a video/'s of themselves playing Zappa and would like to ideas/improvements/criticism thanx to the help of the Zappa players that grace this forum.

I'll get the ball rolling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JtTcud6Z2Y

This was at the North Ranking Battle Manchester England. I was facing off against Dustloops very own Baiken Mod Zakuta Asura.

P.S. I changed to Sol but you can ignore that.

Not bad. Two negative things that were definitely obvious: 1) Throws. You rarely went for a Throw of any kind, concentrating purely on pressure strings. 2) Faultless Defense. If you ran forward, you either didn't stop with Faultless Defense or always threw out a 2P or 2K. Nice job on the Dog 2D Combo, though.

A few good things. I like how you eventually baited the guard run. That's the kind of stuff that you need to do, make their gameplan fall right into yours. Think about how they will react to what you are doing. For instance, end of the round with Raoh, you could have expected a guard run and done 2S from the right distance after the fireball. Then you're safe and screw her if she tries anything fancy. Cryingohn is right. Throws can be huge for Zappa, especially if you throw them into the wall. Overall not bad. Don't expect to be a mind reader... it just takes practice. And Baiken is annoying/boring to fight anyways. Hindsight for the win!

Thanx for the info guys, yeah I hardly ever throw @_@ I'll make sure to integrate it into my game as throw wall bounce = free combo/orbs ^_^

Yeah, when she ran through Raoh's fireball it just threw me out of whack, I was running in for a block string and totally forgot. Oh well, you live and you learn.

Here is another vid from the same event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rae8AqrCdBY

The first match is my Sol but it doesn't go my way so I move straight to Zappa, ghost abuse.

Can i get criticism too? Console tourney in toronto... i actually played pretty shitty, was missing a lot of iads/superjumps -_-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdAjyUs4LuU

videos skippy sometimes, sry.

tnx

I liked your Dog play. You landed a ton of air throws too which is good. Ground throws were used well too. Impressive air and ground throw use in general.

criticisms:

- with Sword you were way too 236S happy, I suggest more f.S and 2S poking

- at 2:46 you could have done 236K to haunt them after the corner bounce throw, at least that's what I would do

I liked your Dog play. You landed a ton of air throws too which is good. Ground throws were used well too. Impressive air and ground throw use in general.

criticisms:

- with Sword you were way too 236S happy, I suggest more f.S and 2S poking

- at 2:46 you could have done 236K to haunt them after the corner bounce throw, at least that's what I would do

tnx for the criticisms =D... yea i find myself 236S happy with sword as well, my sword is really quite weak =(

for the 2:46, i already had 8 orbs so i would prefer to IAD over and do corner pressure... But i also knew that this baiken player will counter if he gets cornered so its more of a community thing. If it wasnt baiken i'd do the ghost corner trap. If i needed the orb/low on life i'd k ghost and run tho =)

Kaworu: good play, but in general use more throws, especially against baiken if u suspect that they'll be waiting to counter you. Small things:

Ghosts: when ur pressuring in corner with 236D, i personally prefer to use 1 ghost (with 2hs, ghost toss whatever) before doing 236D, the ghost bouncing on the floor is usually gone to waste if u do 236D with 3 ghosts.

At 1:32, u threw baiken towards the wall, u had 6 orbs, should have summoned out raoh at this point (looks like you could have done 2p->summon->edgy->RC->rape) instead of super jumping... although i'm pretty sure this was just execution mistake... but the way u landed and did summon immediately made it kinda look like a bait out so im not sure lol.

At 1:32, u threw baiken towards the wall, u had 6 orbs, should have summoned out raoh at this point (looks like you could have done 2p->summon->edgy->RC->rape) instead of super jumping... although i'm pretty sure this was just execution mistake... but the way u landed and did summon immediately made it kinda look like a bait out so im not sure lol.

LOL I threw her and went for OTG centipedes but did it so fast I hit 9 and super jumped by accident, not one of my better matches but I was nervous as it was my first time playing Zappa against Zakuta.

Thanx for the help, I'll definately use 2HS in corner ghost strings from now on, and I'll start abusing grabs as it's clearly what I am lacking. Thanx again.

Hey Scott, I could have put these vids up on youtube if you wanted me too, in fact I could have edited together all your Zappa matches so people would have more stuff to watch.

For your second match: Sword: After anti air 2hs, do super jump s k s d instead of trying to jump p. Standard air combo for sword should be something like 5s (JI) 2hs superjump s k s double jump s d, P air combos are for ghosts =D Dog:4:40, after your burst, ur dog was very well positioned. You used the unblockable (which i think could have been blocked, ur 6p was kinda slow), i would have just gayed him out with either 5D pressure or 2D 6HS bite loop lol. Bite loop goes for everytime u trap him in corner. But thats personal preference, u can not be gay and do combos, or u can be gay and do bite loop =P Raoh: if u land a dust, either mash hs if u do homing jump but since u had full tension, i'd do for 214S RC combos.

Thanx for the info guys, yeah I hardly ever throw @_@ I'll make sure to integrate it into my game as throw wall bounce = free combo/orbs ^_^

Throwing is essential. Not necessarily for the combos afterwards, but for the mere fact of mix-ups.

Sol Badguy is a completely different character without his Riot Throw game. It's what prevents people from simply blocking his strings all day long.

Hi there! Im new in this forum ^^

I need a Constructive Critic too xD

This is my video...see ya!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwdQ5Gnxn-k

This applies to your video, as well:

1) Throws. You rarely went for a Throw of any kind, concentrating purely on pressure strings.

2) Faultless Defense. If you ran forward, you either didn't stop with Faultless Defense or always threw out a 2P or 2K.

Zappa has better use for his Tension, aside from the "Kowaii!" Overdrive. You're welcome to use it, but this player, personally, would rather save it for 236P RC's and Zappa's new Force Break.

Well guys in case you're curious. Here are some vids of my zappa. Feel free to give any constructive criticism. But let me point out that whenever you see me do an FRC ghost throw into another ghost throw, that was my bad execution and me accidentally buffering in the second command. :arg: That is not how I think the the ghost should be played.:sweatdrop:

Also yeah the sound is off at first but it will adjust later in the videos.

Titanium Beast vs me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vcJOSrb2uA

Titanium Beast vs me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YT8DvMCVRY

Purify vs me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqSUkz4OQi4

Purify vs me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcudIsdvboY

First vid - Other than the obvious mistakes (like RCing the 6P). One thing I noticed was connecting with a 2P, 2K, 2D and then doing the 236P ghost toss. I think you are much better off combo'ing into a 236K instead. The point is to hit them with it so they are misfortuned. I know what you were going for there, but I believe that's the better option. Second vid - Just noticing in the first match, going against a charatcer like HOS, you need to stay on top of him so he doesn't charge. Throwing ghosts from the other side of the screen is not going to help you much. Also you need some more follow-up. You are missing out on a few opportunities to continue the pain. Air throw with a jHS that connected and you missed the follow-up. Directly after that a 236HS FRC which was missed also. Clean counter-hit on the 41236 HS, and then later a good 2K, 2HS that could have been an excellent air combo. However fantastic follow-up after you lost Raoh at the end of the 4th match. I have a pretty good idea that the dog is not your strongest summon. If you do a 236P, the next button you should be hitting (if you are good distance away) is 6D, 5D if you are close (and right now I am practicing 236P 6D 236S far only). You want the dog on top of them and aggressive. That's the main problem I see with Zappa players, the dog is too defensive. Get the dog in there and put on the pressure. I'll watch the others when I get home.

Clean counter-hit on the 41236 HS, and then later a good 2K, 2HS that could have been an excellent air combo.

Yeah I tried to go for an air combo but rather than jumping and doing 9S I buffered in 2369S and ended up doing the sword rush. Thanks for all the tips you've given me.

Third vid - NICE COMEBACK in the first round. When I practice against the AI, I normally pick Ky as my opponent, he's generally the character that gives me the most trouble (incidentally, I had to fight 4 of them in the loser's bracket at NEC, not fun). One thing I will note is you NEED to run under those projectiles until he figures out that he can stop you with a low hit. At which point then you have to be more picky about it. Good ghost lock down, I have a feeling that is your most comfortable summon. Fourth vid - Ok, you are running under the fireballs good work. Good zoning with the 5S.f spit. Great work in the corner with the dog in the second match (when you block the Greed Saber and counter with the dog underneath, scenic). Just make sure everytime you feel you will connect with the 8D, be ready for jK, jS, 8D (include jump cancel) jK jS. Bring on the damage, and you are plenty close enough for it there. I find myself throwing out random 5S.f's while zoning with the 8D from a good distance and the running and jumping in for this combo. I see in match 3 Ky was getting frustrated with the ghosts and really wanted to slide underneath a toss but you seemed to be paying attention and stuffing everytime he tried, good work there. Good work hearing the dog on auto-tech at the end there, too bad it didn't really work out for you. As a side note, Ky (IMO) has been tweaked and it's not in Zappa's favor. I remember the days you could 6P next to him during the uppercut and it would totally miss Zappa and you could get your free hits. I remember clean runs under the Greed Saber and 2K over the first part of the slide. Now, I get hit by all this stuff and it pisses me off. And if you folks don't mind I think I'll review some of the other vids, this was kind of fun.

Lol good stuff. Thanks. I hate fighting Ky with a passion. I can't put my finger on it. I think its because he's just a solid character. Not the best but just... solid.

Main thing I recall about these matches: "what the fuck? I did a Sacred Edge?" lol :D I agree with Phrek. Good matches Austin. edit: Man, I think it's just that. Ky is as consistent as Zappa is random.

edit: Man, I think it's just that. Ky is as consistent as Zappa is random.

I'm going to have to disagree on that. Sure, the stuff that comes out is random, but how the player uses that stuff most often times will be consistent. It's usually to the opponents advantage how the summon works because generally the Zappa player thinks like this:

Summon -> ok what summon did I get -> ok what is the move set for the summon -> execute

If you are a good Zappa player you will be more like:

Summon -> execute -> ok what summon did I get -> ok what is the move set for the summon

Where execute may be hitting D during the summon or throwing a normal move (like S) to maybe continue an existing combo. Then by the time your mind figures out what you are using, you can use a part of the move set for that summon.

I'm not going to argue that, as I know next to nothing about the character, but I'd think that certain summons are much better in certain matchups than others, and the probability of getting Raou is never really known either. I realize the player takes advantage of what's given him when the summon is out, but Ky and other characters have their best tools at their disposal without having to wait or any other random factors. So yeah, that's why I said that. Didn't I play you on Xbox Live like four years ago? lol

Didn't I play you on Xbox Live like four years ago? lol

More than likely yes. I think it's funny that after the second week or so they stopped updating the stats on the website. So it's looked like I've been the second best player forever.