Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oniros

Is it just me or was BBCP's localization job rather sloppy?

I got my pre-order off PSN and I gotta say: Aksys made some big mistakes in the localization of this game. All online titles are in Japanese, not a single one has English text. Also, when I went to check my trophies online, despite them appearing in English on my PS3 they sync in Japanese on the system. Does the retail version has this problem too? :/

I dunno, but don't blame Aksys on this one, cause from what I heard, it was probably ASW again that was handling the localization, Aksys was just doing their business again promoting and publishing it again, also, there's English titles on the "D-Code Edit" if your scroll using the L1/R1 triggers. And yes, even though the trophies do appear in English on the system, most Trophy sites have them handled in JP for some odd reason, and haven't updated to the English one yet. (I too have it retail, but see no problems though.)

idk about all of that.It'd be REALLY nice if my psn copy would actually install. A day and a half of downloading 11 GBs only for the damn thing to tell me there was an error in installation. The only reason I even bothered with PSN preorder was because it was cheaper than the other options and good luck to anyone trying to get it from Game Stop lol. Still,should have listened to the voice in my head telling me to just go with Amazon,it didn't hurt me when I got Extend from there.

yeah i also found the no english ranked titles thing kinda odd myself..how hard could that have been lol

No, they're there, you just have to flip pages with L1/R1 or something like that.  It threw me for a minute or two as well, but there is English.

Doesn't keep this from being a shoddy localization (for example, you should START people on the English titles page, at the very least, and PROBABLY -remove- the Japanese titles page entirely...) but there ARE English titles.

idk about all of that.It'd be REALLY nice if my psn copy would actually install. A day and a half of downloading 11 GBs only for the damn thing to tell me there was an error in installation. The only reason I even bothered with PSN preorder was because it was cheaper than the other options and good luck to anyone trying to get it from Game Stop lol. Still,should have listened to the voice in my head telling me to just go with Amazon,it didn't hurt me when I got Extend from there.

The EXACT same thing happened to me :/

Did you download it again? cuz apparently that's the only way to get around this problem...

The EXACT same thing happened to me :/

Did you download it again? cuz apparently that's the only way to get around this problem...

You got the Super Slim? This is probably off-topic but same thing happens to me(not with CP, I got retail version), it happens with any game. It downloads and the install screws up the first time but works fine the 2nd time. Happened with GGXXAC+R and any game I downloaded recently. Might not be Aksys but your PS3.

You got the Super Slim? This is probably off-topic but same thing happens to me(not with CP, I got retail version), it happens with any game. It downloads and the install screws up the first time but works fine the 2nd time. Happened with GGXXAC+R and any game I downloaded recently. Might not be Aksys but your PS3.

Nah ive got the fat old school ps3. And I know it's not Aksys, its probably the Internet connection skrewing up. Because the same thing happened to my sister when she downloaded that Alice in Wonderland game (we share a console). She just had to suck it up and DL it again like I'm doing now...

Only thing im worried about is that I've seen posts(not here. Shitty gamefaqs) of dudes who ended up downloading their game five times to no avail.

:/

According to what I've heard from an Aksys Rep, it was ARC System Works' choice to not include Library Mode with the U.S. version... as for everything else, it was probably rushed.

I'm thinking they had way too many things on their plate (ACPlusR Patch, GGXrd) at the time to do a polished work.

Let's hope GGXrd doesn't get treated the same way.

Figues, its kinda like CSE in terms of localization quality, I mean, the game is still playable and everything works and all, but yet again, its another rushjob as some users put it, and hope Blade says the same with Xrd, but you never know. >_>

According to what I've heard from an Aksys Rep, it was ARC System Works' choice to not include Library Mode with the U.S. version... as for everything else, it was probably rushed.

I'm thinking they had way too many things on their plate (ACPlusR Patch, GGXrd) at the time to do a polished work.

Still no excuse. They had 6 months from the JPN release. Plan your work accordingly if you have to, but get it done right. I'd rather have had them take an extra 3 months if it meant not having a sloppy localization. Besides, Team Red should be in charge of Guilty Gear and it's related work. Team Blue is the one dedicated to Blazblue and Persona 4 Arena, so them supposedly needing work done on GG holds no water.

Let's hope GGXrd doesn't get treated the same way.

Agreed. They pull the same stunt with GG as they did with CP and I'll bet my ass people will be furious. BB is an accepted target since most don't take it as seriously. But GG is a whole other story and people will definitely be vocal about it.

ASW don't care about the western market, if we don't rise our voices we will keep getting content cut and sloppy localizations.

I mentioned this elsewhere, but we really ought to compile a list of things missing or otherwise "wrong" with BBCP and upload it for ASW to see. I sadly do not have recording capabilities, but I can go over as much detail as I can and provide the info if anyone is willing to take on the task.

Why did ASW take over doing it anyway? They're not as good.

Aksys started taking up multiple other projects. ASW decided to handle it themselves from CSE on-wards. Aksys informed me during CSE release that it wasn't going to become the norm but it did. Since CSE every release localization has been handled by ASW. I highly doubt it's going to be any different for GGXrd.

Aksys started taking up multiple other projects. ASW decided to handle it themselves from CSE on-wards. Aksys informed me during CSE release that it wasn't going to become the norm but it did. Since CSE every release localization has been handled by ASW. I highly doubt it's going to be any different for GGXrd.

Out of curiosity, is Aksys really that busy? I don't think I've seen them publish much more than BB and some other miscellaneous projects. Then again, I don't often hear many news about their releases from the sites I frequent.

Only thing im worried about is that I've seen posts(not here. Shitty gamefaqs) of dudes who ended up downloading their game five times to no avail.

:/

Funny you mention that, it actually might not be too far from the truth. I had the same issue as well for the japanese version (fortuantely it worked on my second try). And I remember a friend of mine telling me he had to redownload BBCP several times over just to get it to work. Though I just assumed it was just a coincidence.

Does most.....if ANY of this actually matter? So long as the game itself plays fine...

Agreed. They pull the same stunt with GG as they did with CP and I'll bet my ass people will be furious. BB is an accepted target since most don't take it as seriously. But GG is a whole other story and people will definitely be vocal about it.

Lol "this has been our biggest money maker in the past few years, It's alright for the localization to be shoddy"

I don't think any serious GG player will give two fucks about the things being complained about here tbh.

I'd rather have had them take an extra 3 months if it meant not having a sloppy localization.

You'd want them to FURTHER DELAY the gap between NA/JP releases due to things that don't affect the fighting game itself?

Does most.....if ANY of this actually matter? So long as the game itself plays fine...

I don't think any serious GG player will give two fucks about the things being complained about here tbh.

Is that so? Then, for the sake of argument Jourdal would you personally condone ASW's decision to treat Xrd's localization the same way they handled BBCP? Let's have them theoretically mistype character tutorials, translations that sometimes feel like they tossed a drunken cat at a keyboard for an hour, audio issues up the wazoo or removing content between the two versions. And by content, I mean literally anything. Like for instance, let us have them remove the ability to listen to the character voices again. Or for whatever reason, how about they remove the gallery between version? Since they don't affect gameplay, am I correct in assuming this is "fair" to the people who were most excited to see a new GG in years? As an added bonus, let's make the people waiting on the localized version wait an additional 6 months.

You'd want them to FURTHER DELAY the gap between NA/JP releases due to things that don't affect the fighting game itself?

Why not? They took almost a half-year between versions this time around. What's another 2 or 3 months to them? If they personally cared about making sure the game is readily available for people, NA and EU would have gotten the game in a timely manner. But this did not happen. So I figure, if you're already making your other potential customers wait, you might as well use the time to polish the game.

Wasn't Calamity Trigger near simultaneous?  That one was done pretty well.

Yeah, it was. It was all of 5 days of waiting and boom, there we had it (EU still got shafted and had to wait until April the following year) and was damn near flawless in the translations IIRC. Then again, this was back when Aksys was localizing it. CS was a bit of a delay (JPN: July 1, NA: July 27) but it was still mostly acceptable and barring the only hiccup I recall (Lambda's 1 spoken line not matching the dialogue) it was still good. From Extend onward, the wait increased heavily and the localization quality also declined.

Is that so? Then, for the sake of argument Jourdal would you personally condone ASW's decision to treat Xrd's localization the same way they handled BBCP? Let's have them theoretically mistype character tutorials, translations that sometimes feel like they tossed a drunken cat at a keyboard for an hour, audio issues up the wazoo or removing content between the two versions. And by content, I mean literally anything. Like for instance, let us have them remove the ability to listen to the character voices again. Or for whatever reason, how about they remove the gallery between version? Since they don't affect gameplay, am I correct in assuming this is "fair" to the people who were most excited to see a new GG in years? As an added bonus, let's make the people waiting on the localized version wait an additional 6 months.

Yes, so long as VS and training, and network mode work correctly I'm fine. Character voices not being available is a thing in the JP version as well, so it doesn't really matter. People ripping the music and voices and putting them on YT is obviously why this isn't a thing anymore. You ask any veteren GG player and I'm pretty sure that they'd agree with the sentiment that so long as the core functions (VS/Training/Netplay) work they'd be fine with it. I also don't think a GG veteran, especially a tournament player, is going to wait for a localized version lol. None of the top NA BB players did it, don't see GG players doing it either. If they fuck up character tutorials that sucks, but there's hundreds of high level Xrd matches already on nico/YT. What better way to learn than watching the best do what they do. All that extra stuff is cute and all, but it's just fluff, when i see things like this i really believe people forget what genre we're playing.

Persona 4 Arena actually has a built in short cut that skips straight to Training/Network mode in the main Menu :V

Why not? They took almost a half-year between versions this time around. What's another 2 or 3 months to them? If they personally cared about making sure the game is readily available for people, NA and EU would have gotten the game in a timely manner. But this did not happen. So I figure, if you're already making your other potential customers wait, you might as well use the time to polish the game.

While i doubt anyone going to evo actually waited for NA release, 2-3 months from march puts us roughly a month or so before evo. Technically if the release was any more delayed that could have been used as a reason for why the game could have missed the evo roster. I also think you might be overrestimating how big the NA market is for ASW games. FGs are a niche, and anime fgs are a smaller niche within a niche.