Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oniros

Is it just me or was BBCP's localization job rather sloppy?

Yes, so long as VS and training, and network mode work correctly I'm fine. Character voices not being available is a thing in the JP version as well, so it doesn't really matter. People ripping the music and voices and putting them on YT is obviously why this isn't a thing anymore. You ask any veteren GG player and I'm pretty sure that they'd agree with the sentiment that so long as the core functions (VS/Training/Netplay) work they'd be fine with it. I also don't think a GG veteran, especially a tournament player, is going to wait for a localized version lol. None of the top NA BB players did it, don't see GG players doing it either. If they fuck up character tutorials that sucks, but there's hundreds of high level Xrd matches already on nico/YT. What better way to learn than watching the best do what they do. All that extra stuff is cute and all, but it's just fluff, when i see things like this i really believe people forget what genre we're playing.

If you're talking strictly for tournament/pros then we have misunderstood each other from the get-go. Obviously a player who only cares for the game as a means of playing tournaments isn't going to give much thought to the "fluff" nor are they going to wait in the first place. But that's the thing. You could literally remove the story, voice acting, BGMs and SFX from the game and they might not care about it since, as you already stated, they only need the game to "function" (as in the character does what the commands require of him) in order to get their ranking in. I was never arguing for them when I presented my scenario. I was arguing for those that do care more for the game beyond a means of cathartic satisfaction of winning or losing.

While i doubt anyone going to evo actually waited for NA release, 2-3 months from march puts us roughly a month or so before evo. Technically if the release was any more delayed that could have been used as a reason for why the game could have missed the evo roster. I also think you might be overrestimating how big the NA market is for ASW games. FGs are a niche, and anime fgs are a smaller niche within a niche.

But, didn't you say people who are tournament players are most likely the ones not willing to wait and already have their JPN copy? Why would the NA release matter to them if people are just going to use the JPN version? And again, I was not talking from their perspective. Mostly because I myself have never participated in a tournament and I don't plan on arguing for a group of people of which I am not a part of. I hope that clears it up a bit.

I'm not even a competitive player lol (in that sense) and i don't enter tournaments. I'm not saying the localization is good by any means, but wanting to like...take this up to ASW etc is something i can't really understand. If it was a JRPG i could understand. Most of the complaints i see (titles not defaulting to english, some typos, the trophy thing) are still minor imo regardless of why you play the game.

Some people (like me) want to support the NA release and will buy the localized version, others might not have the funds to import (unless you split, cp costs a pretty penny).

Pretty much all i have to say, for the record I'm not trying to antagonize or anything, but i just don't find these issues to be THAT serious :(

I'm not even a competitive player lol (in that sense) and i don't enter tournaments. I'm not saying the localization is good by any means, but wanting to like...take this up to ASW etc is something i can't really understand. If it was a JRPG i could understand. Most of the complaints i see (titles not defaulting to english, some typos, the trophy thing) are still minor imo regardless of why you play the game.

Maybe I came off as a little too vindictive, but rest assured the only reason I even suggest taking this up with ASW is because I know they can do better. I know some of them are minor, but still if you could have a game without these minor annoyances would you? That's just how I view it, personally.

Some people (like me) want to support the NA release and will buy the localized version, others might not have the funds to import (unless you split, cp costs a pretty penny).

Hey now, did you think I didn't buy the game because of these issues? It cost me a pretty penny too and I was first in line that day to get it at my retailer. I'll probably buy the next one too and whatever revision ASW might have cooked up (if they do at all), regardless of how ASW might screw up the localization in the future. I just wish they wouldn't  screw up in such an obvious way.

Pretty much all i have to say, for the record I'm not trying to antagonize or anything, but i just don't find these issues to be THAT serious  :(

Did I come off as offended? I'm sorry. Rest assured I wasn't. I just tend to be a bit "into" things concerning games I like. No worries yeah  :)?

Guys, if you want ASW to improve the localization, then just start a boycott and not buy the localized version of the game. Spread the word, make videos. Make your voice heard.

Pretty much all i have to say, for the record I'm not trying to antagonize or anything, but i just don't find these issues to be THAT serious :(

We paid money and we got an incomplete and inferior product, as a consumer yes, this is a serious issues. The story is an important part in the BB franchise and I want quality for my money.

Guys, if you want ASW to improve the localization, then just start a boycott and not buy the localized version of the game. Spread the word, make videos. Make your voice heard.

That won't actually improve the localisation but it will kill any chance of further localisation.

We paid money and we got an incomplete and inferior product, as a consumer yes, this is a serious issue. The story is an important part in the BB franchise and I want quality for my money.

This. Whether it's a fighting game or any other genre of game, whether you value the core functions over the overall package, the overall package still matters. A product is still a product, and ASW has shown us enough times that they disregard that almost blatantly. Sloppy localization is a factor that minimizes the value:price ratio of this game, or any other game for that matter (see: Koei's recent localizations); especially at full price.

Misinformation everywhere; Tutorials are flat out wrong, Gallery claims there's a music player, questionable translation that seems to rely on Memes. So on.

Misinformation everywhere; Tutorials are flat out wrong, Gallery claims there's a music player, questionable translation that seems to rely on Memes. So on.

Inconsistent audio is a big one for me. Sudden spikes in volume, audio skips (currently ENG Izayoi and Azrael suffer from it), unspoken character lines, words spoken not matching the dialogue (especially that minute-long animated cutscene during a certain part of the story).

That won't actually improve the localisation but it will kill any chance of further localisation.

Well how else are they going to know if there's a problem if you don't show it. Complaints are one thing, actions are another.

Well, I guess we can now understand fully why Library mode wasn't included in the English release, I know Blade already mentioned it, but not from somewhere else. So yeah, it said that the terminonogy would have hard to translate to English. (I call BS on it anyways, but what can you do.) >_>

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/08/happened-blazblue-chrono-phantasmas-library-mode-arc-system-works-usa-responds/

Well, I guess we can now understand fully why Library mode wasn't included in the English release, I know Blade already mentioned it, but not from somewhere else. So yeah, it said that the terminonogy would have hard to translate to English. (I call BS on it anyways, but what can you do.) >_>

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/08/happened-blazblue-chrono-phantasmas-library-mode-arc-system-works-usa-responds/

Okay, that's pure bull.  They couldn't translate it because it was "too difficult?"  It sounds like their in-house localization team got in over their heads without Aksys having paved the way for them, so they just gave up.  I don't think I've ever head a game having content cut because "They couldn't translate it."  What exactly is so special that they couldn't translate?

Okay, that's pure bull.  They couldn't translate it because it was "too difficult?"  It sounds like their in-house localization team got in over their heads without Aksys having paved the way for them, so they just gave up.  I don't think I've ever head a game having content cut because "They couldn't translate it."  What exactly is so special that they couldn't translate?

It's not bull;  They probably looked at it and went "Holy %^&^#$*! This is going to take MONTHS!" and so it was 'too difficult' to do BY THE RELEASE DATE.

Also, the problem with "Well if you don't like the localization, don't buy it." is, in no small part, that most people only find out the localization is bad AFTER they bought it.

I guess I'll put my two cents into this development.

I think "it's hard to convey these ideas in English" is a legitimate argument, though it is not an argument which should excuse removing a portion of the "game" (in quotes because it is not something which affects the gameplay, but rather, the package as a whole). Translation can be hard as you have to do more than just match words of one language to words of another language. There're things that are hard to pick up in translation, and some things can even be entirely lost in translation. With that being said, I'm sure that ASW could have added a footnotes section or some such to alleviate the difficulty in conveying total meaning (similar to how some translations have commentaries or exegesis). I don't see why this would be an issue unless it conflicted with their release window.

I'm sorry but this is where I have to put on my asshole hat and tell ASW to grow a pair. "Translation was too difficult"? Oh that's rich. But you had no trouble translating all that techno-babble used in the story (however incorrect they may be) or giving a damn in-depth tutorial for newcomers? Matter of fact, that's also a problem considering we got a ton of said techno-babble but no library to explain what that damn term could mean. "Fighting game terminology unique to Japan"? Last I checked, don't most fighting game sites use the Japanese fighting terms anyway? What's the problem if you simply translate its meaning? It isn't like players will fault you for not literally translating something like "okizeme" into the English equivalent. All you'd have had to do is explain what the term means and boom, you're golden.

Ugh, fine ASW keep your lousy excuse to cover up the fact you just didn't wanna do it. But I hope you're also aware that if that's the ball you're going to toss, then the Vita version better not include the Library either otherwise someone might just have to come over to your studio and spit in your face. Good grief.

On a side note:  What's up with Valk's Wolf voice?  I keep forgetting to mention this, but it is AWFUL.  What the heck?!

His voice sound effects are just his voice actor's going "rawr" half heartidly.  The Japanese version, I believe, has the old, proper, roars.  Why would they change it?  It sounds silly.

"How do we explain abare"

"We can't"

"But sir, a simple google search will give us the most basi-"

*Gets shot in the head*

"And now we lack a translator. Clearly it was too difficult to have the Library after all". 

On a side note:  What's up with Valk's Wolf voice?  I keep forgetting to mention this, but it is AWFUL.  What the heck?!

His voice sound effects are just his voice actor's going "rawr" half heartidly.  The Japanese version, I believe, has the old, proper, roars.  Why would they change it?  It sounds silly.

This.

If they were too lazy to use a filter to make his roars sound more, you know, like a wolf, they may as well have kept the original sound effects.

This.

If they were too lazy to use a filter to make his roars sound more, you know, like a wolf, they may as well have kept the original sound effects.

What the fuck ASW, what the fuck?!

This is bullshit! I was waiting for that so that I can understand the blazblue terminology better but you had to screw it up for the BB fans who cares about the story!

Here's some bad localisation: Every character pronounces "Amanohokosaka" like it's two separate terms as "Amano Hokosaka", but the text reads it as one term. This is almost like in Extend where it was "Claudius" in the text when the characters were clearly saying "Clavis" or how the text also said "Glassfield" but there clearly was no audible "D" sound on the end (making it sound more like "Glassfeel").

Here's some bad localisation: Every character pronounces "Amanohokosaka" like it's two separate terms as "Amano Hokosaka", but the text reads it as one term. This is almost like in Extend where it was "Claudius" in the text when the characters were clearly saying "Clavis" or how the text also said "Glassfield" but there clearly was no audible "D" sound on the end (making it sound more like "Glassfeel").

If I remember it correctly, they translated her name into Trinity Glassfille.