Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ShadowClawBKR

So I've been playing online...

So I've been playing online, and I couldn't help but notice that some people would be applying pressure and then out of nowhere, they use Crush Trigger in the middle of the strings from nowhere...is that a thing? Am I the ugly one at the dance when it comes to this? Is that something that I can do??? I don't understand Chrono Phantasma. :c

You can crush trigger as a mixup, just like in a high/low situation.

I'm fairly certain some moves are cancelable into crush trigger.

But that's the thing....they aren't doing any mixup. They just do it after doing bit of stuff... -__-

Well, they do a bit of stuff, and then do crush trigger to catch you not barriering.

Or maybe I'm just not understanding what you mean?

I feel like it's just being thrown out there and it makes it hard to play. :( Maybe I respect too much?

All of them have a standardized 30f startup, so any string into them will have at least an 8f gap. Also, depending on the character, they're plus/minus on barrier block, but none of them can gatling into anything. No character specifics here though, like projectile into CT setups.

It's a mixup option you have to respect like a high, low, or throw. Most CTs are neutral or even positive on block so it's basically like spending meter to guard break or continue pressure if you barrier.

CTs do have a bit of startup though, so if they're just doing it right in your face you can throw or try to reversal out. Some characters like Mu or Rachel can create situations to make them safe though.

Edit: ninja'd

It's just another way to apply pressure, really.

EG: Azrael can cancel 5BB into 6D for an overhead and 3D for a low. Now he can also cancel it into CT for a Guard Crush.

There is a ton of stuff certain characters can do to make use of their CT. My personal favorite with Valkenhayn is to start pressure, wolf command dash into human and immediately CT. No one expects it :)

It's a perfectly viable mixup option that is no less honest than your average high/low/throw game. If its becoming hard to deal with, try barrier blocking more, there's not much more you can do to deal with it.

I feel like it's just being thrown out there and it makes it hard to play. :( Maybe I respect too much?

a lot of CTs seem like the need to be respected, but there are ways around them.

you can OD through litchi CT after 6D it's pretty beautiful.

but yeah its more experimenting and finding the best way you find to deal with it.

Anyone can do it by pushing A+B and forward. It's just meant to be another factor to think about. They'll use it if they think you won't barrier. There is mixup because you'll be busy looking for everything else, then bam, your guard's broken.

Anyone can do it by pushing A+B and forward. It's just meant to be another factor to think about. They'll use it if they think you won't barrier. There is mixup because you'll be busy looking for everything else, then bam, your guard's broken.

isnt it neutral A+B?

Interesting. I still feel cheated after there's no mixup in it though. :(

There's really no need to feel cheated. Maybe try messing around with CT for yourself and you'll see how effective it can be. Just drop George on your opponent to get them blocking and open them up with your CT! Like Mac said, it's a matter of not expecting it, and against a mixup heavy character like Rachel you can bet they will not see it coming!

Yeah. I was thinking of Counter Assault's input.

i get the two confused too, lol. just making sure,

but in response to this thread. shadowclawbkr, you should play around with other characters and see how their CT is used most commonly, and train yourself to anticipate it and barrier block. theyre pretty amazing tools, thats why they cost 25 meter. if theyre causing you a great deal of trouble, training mode it out. s'how i learnt how to deal with Litchi CT a little better! good luck.

It barely comes up for Hakumen outside of combos so I don't think about it often.

Which is to say some characters can use their CT better than others so it's matchup dependent.

some characters have safe consistent CT setups (Nu, Rachel, Mu, litchi, Carl, relius, izayoi, kokonoe)

anyone else, i think you can mash out against.

Another thing about CTs that I like is that most players don't even use them. I seriously don't even know what 70% of the cast's CTs look like because I've never seen anyone do them in a match. Does anyone know what Azrael's CT looks like? I've heard rumors that it doesn't even exist.

This makes them even better for mixup because the person you're fighting probably won't be expecting it the first time you do it. They'll be watching your blockstring and be thinking, "Alright, 2A > 2A > 5B > 2B > W-wait what's this move??? Is that his Crush Trig- DAMMIT IT WAS THE CRUSH TRIGGER AND I DIDN'T BARRIER IN TIME!"

Edit: And one more thing...Why can you charge crush triggers? It doesn't seem to serve any purpose at all. Izayoi's becomes a true unblockable, but the rest of the cast...??? Does it do more damage or something. It just seems absolutely useless except to get you mashed out.

The only time I've really used it in pressure is with Bullet as it's just another easier way of opening up the opponent.

With Haku, I seem to rarely use it outside of combos, and even then it's mostly during the throw combo cause it's super easy for good damage.

I really like them though, they all seem to have really cool animations as well.

Another thing about CTs that I like is that most players don't even use them. I seriously don't even know what 70% of the cast's CTs look like because I've never seen anyone do them in a match. Does anyone know what Azrael's CT looks like? I've heard rumors that it doesn't even exist.

This makes them even better for mixup because the person you're fighting probably won't be expecting it the first time you do it. They'll be watching your blockstring and be thinking, "Alright, 2A > 2A > 5B > 2B > W-wait what's this move??? Is that his Crush Trig- DAMMIT IT WAS THE CRUSH TRIGGER AND I DIDN'T BARRIER IN TIME!"

Edit: And one more thing...Why can you charge crush triggers? It doesn't seem to serve any purpose at all. Izayoi's becomes a true unblockable, but the rest of the cast...??? Does it do more damage or something. It just seems absolutely useless except to get you mashed out.

Azrael's CT look VERY similar to his 46C. (Second part of his Rekka chain) He performs an upwards kick while he stands with his hands in his pockets.

It's really not that great, since Azrael has so few normal-to-normal cancels.

I don't know why you can charge CTs, but I'm guessing it's so you can bait counters and such. (Like Yukikaze)