Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HyroXIII

Advanced Defense in fighters

so, I know the baby basics of fighting game (hold direction away from opponent to block) barrier blocks, Insta-blocking, insta barriering, etc. 

But I seem to lack knowledge on defensive playing. I can properly use DP's and reversals, but since I'm attacking most of the time my Defensive game is lacking. but I don't know where to start.

any tips/general strategies? 

pay attention to the opponent and learn what they are going for. 

ex1: opponent always cancels into 2 attacks, then goes for overhead.

ex2: opponent always jumps after he does 5C

ex3: oppoennt always does 2A > run up throw

ex4: opponent always does wakeup dp when he has 50 meter and in the corner

most players have patterns: pay attention, learn what they're doing, find a counter, then beat them up for being predictable

another general tip is to learn how much damage/meter/screen position each starter can convert into. once you understand what option the opponent prefers, you can guard against that as your default response.

start paying attention, learn what you're getting hit by and see what hte opponent gains from it, and remember that so you can make more informed decisions.

Well for games like Blazblue, it helps to know the character's gattling so you know what stings are to come, this can be applied to other games as well by knowing what your opponent's character can do, there are some cases where you may have to condition yourself to be able to react to specific things as well. Good defensive play isn't limited to just reversals and blocking, its also knowing where the holes in a string might be and knowing when to interrupt the string. 

Watch for holes where you can get out. Watch for patterns that you can blow up. Don't get put in bad situations.