Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grimsley-San

Do you prefer the English or Japanese voices?

Changing the voices from English to Japanese is usually the first thing I do when get my hands on a game which has this option.

Gesendet von meinem HTC One X+ mit Tapatalk

Japanese but a few occasion change to english a bit time for curiosity but then return to japanese

When I first got CT, the English dub voices felt cheesy and awkward. Either they got better, or I got used to them, because I love them now.

Exact same thing here. Despite Strangely Compelling screwing up some of the voices in CP (the change in the Hazama VA hurts the most), overall BlazBlue's english VAs are top tier. I find English Tao hilarious; and Ragna, Jin, Kagura, Makoto, and Relius are extremely well characterized. For P4A though, I stick with the JP VAs mostly due to me being introduced to Persona via the Anime. Therefore, I got used to the JP voices. For Xrd I hope we get some good English VAs too.

I dont like engaging in this topic. It always comes to Japanese dub beats absolutely everything else vs those who just want to enjoy the game without reading an essay in subtitles. 

Because I'm trying to pick up on Japanese sentence structure, I actively switch between both and enjoy them equally. 

Also, no disrespect to Doug Erholtz or Erik Davies, but Yuichi Nakamura does the whole psychotic laughter thing better than damn near anybody.

Erholtz sounds like a better asshole. Yuichi sounds like a better psychopath.

Haz and Terumi are both so it works out.

In P4A, I'm really mixed but because ArcSys games don't let you have different voices for each characters, I generally use English and also because I played P4 in English, but I will admit I like Chie's and Naoto's voice better in Japanese(FUCK TEDDIE'S JAPANESE VOICE THO). For other games and anime I generally follow the rule of how many character's names are in katakana to decide which I use, if the game allows for separate voices I generally put Japanese and sometimes other East Asian characters in Japanese, and put everyone else in English. I'd actually really like it if they had an option for everyone to speak their mother tongue in fighting games, but I guess that would be hard to pay for.

English for both BlazBlue and P4A. I'm used to them, and they're great voices. If Guilty Gear ever gets an english voice cast, I hope it's on par with BB and P4A, because I think they're pretty great.

If a develop actually takes the time to localize and dub an anime fighting game, I will stick with the dub. Some go the lazy route and just use English subs with Japanese voices, but I like when developers go the extra mile and takes the time to give their characters English voices. I want to play and listen to the game in my native language. Sure, there are some bad English VAs, but people need to understand that voice acting in America isn't such a big profession like it is in Japan. Besides, imho, a lot of Japanese VAs sound to similar. At least with English VAs, the voices sound different, even when they voice mutlipe characters (Tara Strong and Laura Bailey come to mind).

It depends on the work in question. Generally, I find that both the Japanese and the English dubs for ASW games are godlike. If I had to have a preference though...

BB: It's a tie. I really couldn't tell you which I think is better, because they both are just that outstanding. I have my favorites of course (You will never hear me say anything bad about Erik or Doug, but Nakamura IS Yuuki Terumi-He was MADE for that role), but I can play with ether language on, and often switch whenever I feel like it.

Persona: English cast all the way. They've been rockin it since the first version of Persona 4, and are, in my opinion, one of the best examples of a top tier English Dub in anime history. I would go as far as to say that it tops the Japanese dub in terms of performance (Not that the Japanese cast aren't great, because they are). I'm a bit curious about some of the recasts for Ultimax, but Atlus has their shit together when it comes to this sort of thing. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Guilty Gear: Japanese, baby. It might not be fair to stack it up against the one game in the series that has an English dub track, but I've come into the series on Japanese voices and that's how I'm going to go at it til it dies. I'm not against an English cast for XRD, in fact, I welcome it. But these guys are the actors that I've known since I joined the GG fandom, they know exactly what they're doing, and are pretty much a shoe in to give a solid performance.

You may commence with the lynch party

Whenever I'm given the choice I prefer the option of both.

Because:

1. English voice talent is better than people give them credit.

2. Sometimes I like to know what people are saying without having to look it up in a dictionary all the time.

I'm the type to watch anime subbed 99% of the time. I find most dubs are just terrible. That said I absolutely love the english dub of blazblue. They did an absolutely phenomenal job, so I actually play it in english. The one thing that really upsets me is CP bang. They ruined him completely :(

Aside from that one flaw, its the best. Absolutely amazing. I suppose new hazama isnt as good as old hazama, but I dont mind him much. Bang's new VA on the other hand... night and day man, night and day.

I love being able to understand what everyone is saying to each other pre,post, and mid-fight. I have a general grasp of japanese, but its not the same. Hearing nu say "target acquired, switching to kill mode" really gets my blood pumping for the match. Still if the voices werent this superbly done I'd probably would still have it in japanese.

I've gotten used to new Bang now, he's not even that bad to me anymore.

But Valkenhayn's English wolf noises....

I can't play a Valk who uses English voices. I'll end up losing cause bark noises.

Other than that, I'm fine with the English VA. The JP VA is pretty good too so I just switch between them every now and again,

I've gotten used to new Bang now, he's not even that bad to me anymore.

But Valkenhayn's English wolf noises....

I can't play a Valk who uses English voices. I'll end up losing cause bark noises.

Other than that, I'm fine with the English VA. The JP VA is pretty good too so I just switch between them every now and again,

The wolf noises are actually the Japanese barks without the modulation.

The wolf noises are actually the Japanese barks without the modulation.

No. You can clearly tell that it's Doug Stone making dog noises without the reverb effects in the dub track.

It's times like this that make me wish Arc would install an individual voice option like Capcom does, it'd make it a lot less of a headache.

No. You can clearly tell that it's Doug Stone making dog noises without the reverb effects in the dub track.

Yeah I'd highly doubt they'd just take the japanese voice track and remove the reverb. Not only would it be lazy but it would make zero sense.

It's times like this that make me wish Arc would install an individual voice option like Capcom does, it'd make it a lot less of a headache.

I'm sure it would be nice to cherry pick JP and English voices from the cast, like UMvC3 does... but keep in mind how much of an increase in file size and compression that probably takes up, whereas having all the English and Japanese on their own separate audio tracks neatly compressed is probably more economical.

Shouldn't the game only load the voice tracks of two selected characters rather than all of them (meaning that they're in the separate files)? If that is the case, then the separate language selection is just a matter of simple variables.

Even with a program like M.u.g.e.n. just 'loading only the character specific files' can take a while (depending on the size of the roster aka index of files), the program has to "think" and search for the right files in its index and depending on how big that index is, it would have to load that much longer.

Some games just access a "track" of audio samples and call up the specific "passages" of a track.

That's how Accent Core plays its music, since it's a compressed pck file, which is actually just one really long raw wave file.

Compared to an index, telling a program to play a specific "section" of a single track is probably much faster.

I prefer this game in English. I particularly love Noel's English voice, because it's really cute, and Cristina Vee is a really great voice actress in my opinion.

Ditto on Mu-12 and Nu-12.  AlsoTager sounds great too, because of Jamieson Price.  He's another great voice actor I really like as well. Kudos to him.