Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cp24eva

I'm starting to think I came in too late

I get totally destroyed every match hands down. If they get the first attack of then I'm doomed I stay in the corner and can't break out unless I do a burst. I can't seem to match on a tack after my blocks training is over. Is there a special toys to the counter attack after I block all of their attacks? Maybe I'm too old school Street Fighter ish for this game. I can do combos good in practice but against a person I always get countered.

I don't think there's such a thing as starting too late. You simply don't have all of the answers yet. Just play the game more & ask for help where you need it. Things like knowing when to counterattack/poke out/etc come with the experience of playing the game; the same can be said with landing combos during matches. 

Not to sound like a broken record or anything, but just play the game and ask for help, and you'll be fine. 

Alright. But I feel that I am missing a key component of the game and that's defending and countering. Like I can block all day, but retaliation is hard. I'll read up on it and see if something gives me a moment of enlightenment lol.

Use frame data to learn when the opponent should give up the advantage, and what you can punish on block. Go into training and learn character's gatlings and blockstrings. Learn where you can mash, jump out, backdash, and dp if you have one. Learn how to use ib, barrier, and instant barrier to create opportunities to escape or retaliate. Pay attention to the opponent. Learn their habits, and use what you learned from training to punish or escape. Ex. Let's say you play a Ragna who likes to use ...5C>2D close to max range, and backdash after doing so to put distance between you. Typically, ragna's pressure is over since 2D is -4, but if he has meter he can rc and continue pressure. If you know he's going to do 5C>2D and backdash, you can ib 5C and backdash 2D to escape to neutral. You could also ib 2D, and punish the backdash, but understand that you can also be punished for making the wrong read.. 5C>deadspike will catch your backdash, and by rcing 2D to continue pressure he could catch you not blocking for trying to catch his backdash.

If you're new to this game, it wouldn't matter if you were getting CP on Day 1, you'd still get destroyed. Our skills transfer over from game to game so we would be pretty much where we were at in previous games minus old combos.

And everyone has trouble iwth this stuff when they're learning. You just have to accept the grind and look for players that can play on your level. There is no magic bullet. As long as you have fun you'll get there eventually.

I thought the same thing when I started CSE late. Now-a-days I'm pretty good.

"Tomorrow I'll be better than I was today." is really the best way to look at things.

I'm looking forward to those better days. Most of all, I can't stay composed. I get to mashing sometimes. Just to break a combo... But that doesn't help lol. I'm getting rushed down. I think I should get a character that is easier to pick up some basic BBCP skill with and then move on. I dunno.

She's not that bad. She just doesn't have abuseable bullshit to fall back on like the S tiers.

In this game her being bottom tier just means she's last rather than bad. It's more like being a B student in a class full of A students than someone who gets a D. At your level it shouldn't matter anyway because your problems are related to you as a player rather than the character.

The important part is that you like the character, otherwise you won't stick with it long enough to get good.

If you're losing patience while getting rushed down, you should at least go for a DP over mashing out. And remember that you have counter assault as a much safer way to get him off you. Many new players forget this exists at all (crush triggers too)
Makoto might be low tier, but she's not hopeless. I've played Makoto players who destroyed me so thoroughly it genuinely made me wonder why this character was considered bad (I do know why, but at that moment, Kokonoe didn't have shit on her)

At the end of the day, we're just playing video games and having fun. That's what I keep reminding myself whenever I start getting upset, or start thinking too much about squares, win%, matchups, etc. "Oh, whatever. It's a game, let's just play and have a good time."

You will have your salty days, but don't give up. Like the others said, Makoto has her weaknesses but she's not impossible to win with.

After playing SF for almost 20 years, I got tired of lack of progress with Capcom games and started playing Guilty. Trust me I know what you`re going through. My advice: do your homework. Watch videos, look up frame data, and for Christ`s sake, ask questions. My thing is I always play against players miles ahead of me. Thats the way to improve your game.

Experience is the best teacher......

Stylish, you hit it on the head, capcom hasn't progressed much. My wife asked me the other day why I don't play it anymore. The way Arc is doing games is a bot refreshing. I too went to Guilty gear and since then I knew they were doing the fight game right. I always likes BB, But was never good at it. I mean, I beat the game on hard, but that's different. I'm making progress though. I feel bad playing online, not because I get my buttkicked. But because I feel like I a. Wasting player's time when they run through me with ease.

If you play Makoto, you're going to get pinned down a lot. Her neutral just isn't as good as most of the cast.

The best thing to do would be to work on your defense. Learn how to block mixup (tech throws) and anticipate holes in your opponent's blockstrings (so you can DP them). Once you DP a person once or twice, they will start baiting your DP and let you out for free. However....

When playing online, sometimes you're just not going to be able to block certain stuff. Your inputs can be delayed and get you hit by all sorts of random stuff. In that case, you should use the system mechanics that are set in place to help you defensively. They are very easy to use and can get your opponent off of you or even swing momentum in your favor

Try these:

1.) Burst - If you know your defense is going to be a problem, use burst instead of saving it for overdrive. Actually, using your burst early on can even let you get two in the same round sometimes. Plus people rarely expect an early burst from a rushdown character like Makoto. Interrupting your opponent's momentum two times in a round (where you would have eaten combos) can easily swing things in your favor.

2.) Counter Assault (Block an attack, then press 6+A+B) - This is an invincible attack that can be done during blockstun that will knock your opponent away (similar to a burst), but it costs 50 heat. A simple way to use counter assault is: After you tech try to block the opponent's first attack > then immediately do 6+A+B. Trying to counter assault in the middle of someone's blockstring can sometimes activate your 6B if you accidentally input it during a gap in the opponent's pressure (and get you counter hit lol).

3.) DP + Rapid Cancel - Another relatively safe way to reverse momentum is to spend 50 heat to rapid cancel a DP. You can do this on wakeup or during an anticipated gap in your opponent's pressure. The good thing about this option is that even if they baited your DP by blocking, you still gain momentum and can start your own offense. And if you happened to hit them with DP, Makoto can use the Rapid Cancel to do a corner swap combo, putting THEM in the corner.

------------------------

So, I say if you're playing online and you KNOW your biggest weakness is defense, you should utilize resources to bolster that part of your game. Save heat and save Overdrive just in case you get pinned down.

But be aware, your offense will suffer because of it. Burning heat and Burst to get out of pressure instead of escaping meterlessly means you won't be able to do things like: Rapid for pressure/mixup/combos/baits, use DDs to finish off a round, or use OD to cancel out your opponent's burst.

And one more thing...all of the options listed above can be baited. They can block your Burst/Counter Assault, then make you eat a combo. They can even make your DP whiff so that you can't rapid it. You should use these options...but don't get TOO routine/predictable with them. The good thing about Makoto is that she does good meterless damage if you're not going for orb oki, so you can burn resources on the defensive and still have a decent offense.

Good luck.

Good info. Thanks for taking the time to lay all of those options out. I'll give it a shot and most of all, I have to be patient.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk