Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Badguy

vs. ABA

Okay its not so much that i cant beat ABA BUT nothing combos properly on ABA =S it seems that she can tech dubious curb after 6P > 6HS most of the time and you can combo her with 5HS but even then she seems to push very far off substituting for c.D > ball setups are just too weak. any advice? some advice for the matchup as well couldnt hurt

Even when she's in Moroha, you can still outpoke her on the ground with far S and 2S. That often tempts ABAs to IAD to get in, so watch for those and land your juicy 6P combo (always end with the FB if you have it, since that's a knockdown). 6P also beats her 5H clean.

Learn to slashback the 2nd hit of Danzai and the 2nd hit of rekkas; the former is especially useful since it's by far his most damaging way to punish it on block. If you can't slashback, then try one of Venom's pokes after blocking the 2nd hit (maybe 2S -> Stinger FRC -> etc?). Of course, if you REALLY expect a Danzai, you should back out of range and punish the whiff with 6H or something (not sure what Venom would do there).

When on defense, be patient. Don't try to mash out moves or jump, or else ABA's delay game will murder you. Backdashing, on the other hand, is one of your best options, particularly after blocking rekkas or 2H. Remember to jump backward if you see her start that overhead-looking kick - it's unblockable on the ground, but in the air you don't even need to FD!

Fun fact: Venom has the 2nd fastest instant kill in the game (counting activation + the move itself). Your goal should be to convert any hit into a knockdown whenever possible, as your oki and IK ability are perfect for this matchup. Throw in ball setups, FB overheads, whatever you can!

Does Venom's Dead Angle knock down? If so, you may want to consider holding onto tension just for that, especially since you don't have a reversal. If not, then eh.

A general game rule which is especially important in this fight: Gold bursts always knock down, blue bursts never should. ABA is really good at baiting bursts with moves like 2H, Danzai, and 2D, so I think it's worth it to take some shots with the gold ones.

On a related topic, smart ABA players will often burst after being knocked down. There are two major advantages to this: It keeps her from losing the 1/3 Moroha meter, and if punished she is considered OTG, and thus will take tiny damage and be able to tech. Unfortunately, I don't think Venom has a real solution to this since his airthrow doesn't knock down. He may have some sort of burst-safe wakeup game here, but if not then don't get fancy and try to bait it. She may not end up doing it at all, in which case you'll be wasting an opportunity to begin your oki.

That's about all I've got as an ABA player. I hate this fight right now. =P Basically you want to zone and poke, frustrate her into doing stupid things to get in, then punish her appropriately when she does so. And if you can get a knockdown off any of those mistakes, it's probably your round.

awesome thnx guys. the idea of backdashing after rekkas and 2H sounds really good. anyone know why aba can tech after 5HS > dubious curb? that seems to be my biggest problem. maybe this is a glitch in accent core plus? cuz thats the version im playing... im gunna go try the original accent core.

I used to fight all the time against Xiggurat's Venom until he switched back to Robo-Ky, and have some exp vs Blacksnake and TittyFofo. Venom's dead angle absolutely knock down. His Dead Angle, while reactable, is one of the best in the game. It's a KD and resets to his full screen game. Your 6P cleanly beats j.H when timed correctly. This is probably one of the most important parts of the matchup; if you can't demonstrate the ability to AA her, you're going to get eaten alive. Using your f.S, 6P, 6H can really keep ABA at bay and make her work (painfully) to get inside. Take note that some of your combos that usually knock down will not knock ABA down, most notably some doobie combos; if you're going for kd only, you may want to combo directly into j.H. I disagree with Josh in the jump department; don't think of jumping vs ABA as bad, but a risk. The risk is greater depending on what move you're jumping after. If ABA gets you in her pressure game, (and this isn't for Venom alone) doing anything is a risk, even blocking, since that jacks up your guard gauge. It's tougher for Venom since he has no reversal save the Dead Angle; make sure you don't just throw it out there obviously either. Landing a CH DA is fucking boss for Venom in this fight. I can't stress enough how much Venom's anti-air kills predictable air ABA, and how much ABA's anti-air kills predictable air Venom, like no contest. Other characters have more trouble with ABA's j.H than Venom. Generally when I go to the air against Xiggurat I eat an airthrow or 6P, and when he goes to the air he eats my 6P or 2S. All day. The ground match is a lot of Venom f.S / 6H against ABA f.S 5H 2D. ABA can slide underneath Dark Angel. I really, really love the Venom fight; I feel like it's slightly in Venom's favor, but very winnable for both. Also, please post if you guys have had any experiences with your moves randomly stuffing Danzai when it shouldn't; Xig and I didn't know if that was some error with our copy of the game, or just a general bug.

@moroha: okay so im not failing combos lol. yah i noticed ALOT of my doobie combos werent working and landing 6HS twice doesnt give KD either. =S i guess i'll have to go into training mode and see what works cuz that is really annoying. and i didnt know aba can slide under dark angel. as long as my friend doesnt know i'll keep that to myself hehehe as for the random danzai stuffing i actually had that happen this weekend but i cant remember what move i used to stuff it. but i remember it was something completely random that really shudnt have worked. are you playing on ggac plus jap? btw does venom's f.S beat aba's longest range moves?

'Beat' is a funny word. Venom f.S outranges everything ABA has (it's a close call with 2D, but I still think it does.) Of course, Venom landing a f.S gets a special cancel and about 5% of ABA's HP; if ABA lands one of her pokes, especially a f.S or CH 5H, we'll start the bidding at 35-40% and take it upwards from there depending on tension and stage location. :)

@moroha: okay so im not failing combos lol. yah i noticed ALOT of my doobie combos werent working and landing 6HS twice doesnt give KD either. =S i guess i'll have to go into training mode and see what works cuz that is really annoying.

Yup, if you want knockdowns on ABA there are two things you need to aim for: FB DHM or j.H. Doobie curve loops still do work though, just not off of 6H.

midscreen

Throw dash 6P, 6H, P/S ball, 6H, Warp IAD (j.K), j.S, j.H

corner

launch dash 6P, 6H, P ball, 6H, Warp IAD j.S, j.H, j.D | c.S(1), jc j.H

-long delay on the j.H, j.D gatling.

corner

Throw, [s doobie, 2S]x5

-can't really find a decent 6P, 6H loop that does more damage.

ABA combos are hard but you can make some really really sexy ones. Some other things to take note of: combos ending in f.S+ball>doobie/DHM are really unreliable. Depsite ABA being a heavy weight she usually floats too high off of a 6H bounce for stuff like that.

I'll try and think up some matchup tips when I finally get around to playing Josh with him.

thnx kamui moon for the combos. i actually didnt know you can do the midscreen throw combo. gotta try that one. 2nd combo u mentioned "launch" what move are you refering to? and i guess for midscreen combos all i can really rely on is stinger aim frcs into 2D

2nd combo u mentioned "launch" what move are you refering to?

launch=stuff that launches. lol. c.S, ID (not including j.H, j.H, HS MS), FB MS, 2D>SA FRC, etc. Basically anything in the corner.