Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whimsikal

Newbies of P4A, unite!

Oh wow, still not used to forums that don't auto-watch threads for you- didn't realize I had several people replying to me.

Dive-slam, you down for some games tonight? Will be on around 6:45pm and pretty much only have week 1 Yu, but I'm hoping to get back into things and play some. Been on the original thread that Whimsikal is talking about as well: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8822-p4a-worth-playing/

Obviously late, but I'm still happy to play whenever. Add me on PSN.

I didnt notice him being a Chie player, in which case you are right. But in general, I would say: You can't learn much from a player that is far better than you. This is because he will just kill you with his super long combos and the only thing you can do is watch. A newer player on the other hand needs more combos to finish you off and therefore there is much more neutral play. Apart from that: Losing 30 matches in a row is not fun, as it is not rewarding.

That being said: Dive, wanna teach me a thing or two about Chie?

Sure, we'll just have to find a specific time since you're in the UK as you've already said. I can teach you fundamentals and what to look out for, etc. 

Maybe you already know, but Aigis (IMO) is the hardest character in the game to use. You use her as main, so put as much effort as you can, because she is top tier and has a lot of good things (overall those crazy mixups).

Edit: I just started this week to train how and when to Glide with Yosuke.

Hah, yeah, gliding. I'm not great at it but back last year when I got P4A, I planned to main Yosuke because he has some ridiculous options off gliding and he's just fun to play.

Aigis: I do know about the execution barrier. And, well, it's kind of a funny story: I'd resigned myself to maining Narukami a month or so ago after I decided I'd use P4A as my gateway to learning FGs seriously, but I never really clicked with the guy the way I clicked with Jin from BB (I had CSE on my Vita, which was how I got hooked on FGs, decided to commit to the long haul toward "not sucking," etc.). I train with ccrocker58 and during one of our first sessions, he was feeling out Narukami, so I picked Aigis because I didn't want a mirror match. And I did better with Aigis than Narukami, God knows why. And it is what it is. I didn't pick her because of "omg Orgia mix-ups/damage/FLIGHT" but because ... I will spend hours in training mode with her and never hate my character. When you're a novice, you have to play the character you're willing to stick with for 3000 matches, win or lose, and for me that happened to be the most beginner-unfriendly character in the game.

I've questioned the decision lately (and played Yosuke a lot as a result) but I've come to the conclusion that I would rather take less obvious signs of improvement by playing Aigis even with my handicaps in experience and execution than doing a Narukami or Yosuke bread-and-butter combo in play because I don't feel the same satisfaction or joy from the latter. Ultimately, no matter my main, I need to work on building basic skills -- keeping opponents off me, getting in on them safely, blocking, learning my MUs, tightening execution and input speed, neutral game, not panicking under pressure, and on and on -- and I'm not looking to win anytime soon, just put up a decent fight. (And, you know, reduce the amount of stupid shit I do.) At this point, I've forgotten everything I knew about Narukami except his frame data, and I needed the kick in the ass from a friend about not chickening out and not playing my main. (Because I feel like my fuck ups are more transparent when I'm using Aigis, though God knows I'm capable of epic fails with any cast member.) So, yeah, it was always going to be a long slog toward "no longer totally free," and maining Aigis means I've made that trip somewhat harder, but I'd rather take my "learn to block" lumps playing Aigis than anyone else, and there's no getting around that.

I'm taking combos in fragments, honestly. I could spend hours getting the double Megido combo down but it's not going to do me any good if I don't stop doing unsafe shit that gets me blown up. I have some pressure game, which is new and a noticeable "hey, I suck less now!" moment, but I care less about winning than I do losing respectably. It's going to be a long time before I win, and, honestly, that's not my goal right now -- I just need to try, lose, learn, try again, lose again, learn more.

Yeah, I chose the path of most resistance, but I'm too far down it now to turn back and I knew what I was getting into, so I have no complaints.

A useful note: If you want to reduce lag and spikes don't skip any of the both intros (stage and characters), the game engine works on stabilizing the connection while these two are being shown. Notice that this also works in any Blazblue game and maybe will work in GGXrd.

A useful note: If you want to reduce lag and spikes don't skip any of the both intros (stage and characters), the game engine works on stabilizing the connection while these two are being shown. Notice that this also works in any Blazblue game and maybe will work in GGXrd.

Also, pick either Mitsuru's stage (the outdoor night stage) or Yukiko's stage (the music room).

Psn : AmericanKris

I main Teddie

There's a session tomorrow night, 9PM EST, if you can make it. Frankly, I'd be over the moon if we had a Teddie.

I'll add you on PSN tomorrow. Come if you'd like, feel free to play miced, stay as long or short as you please.

There's a session tomorrow night, 9PM EST, if you can make it. Frankly, I'd be over the moon if we had a Teddie.

I'll add you on PSN tomorrow. Come if you'd like, feel free to play miced, stay as long or short as you please.

I can make it. I'm stoked. My teddie isn't amazing but we all come here to get better. That is all that matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can make it. I'm stoked. My teddie isn't amazing but we all come here to get better. That is all that matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! I'm new to FGs and the sole Aigis. Teddie is one of her worst MUs, so I'm looking forward to actually fighting one!

Throw me into the mix too please

I've had the game since release, but switched to stick and decided to relearn the basics with Narukami so I may as well be completely new.

Picking the game back up for the first time in a long while later tonight 

PSN: Ecchi-Emperor

Guys anyone want to plat tonight? Im a mitsuru main and i want to learn yukiko I'd love to have a casual lobby to learn a new character

I just added sent PSN friend requests to everyone who expressed interest. Again, room by 9PM EST, look for the DL in the name, come to play, stay for the inane commentary and navigator trolling.

I'm going in tonight, I'm also a Yukiko player so you're in luck (and I got a new headset too to join in the crazy commentary!) #SkillBoostStudyGroup

Guys anyone want to plat tonight? Im a mitsuru main and i want to learn yukiko I'd love to have a casual lobby to learn a new character

I can help you with Yukiko, but I have work in the morning so I won't be on very late.

I may join this and play with a sub character. My Mitsuru is too high level, so it could be fun to mess around with some subs.

Stellar fun tonight! GGs to everyone; looking forward to the next one

Dude, did you stop playing Ranked? the last time I played you, you  had around the same PSR. Well, I almost don't play Ranked :v:

And yeah, fun matches yesterday.

I totally wish this was a thing way before now!

Sorry for my crackheaded (new!) mic spitting static to everyone though, I'll have to look it up and problem solve. (If Tritton Kunais are duds for PS3 do let me know)

I don't apologize for Maragidyne though. Maragidyne is so pro lol.

Dude, did you stop playing Ranked? the last time I played you, you  had around the same PSR. Well, I almost don't play Ranked :v:

And yeah, fun matches yesterday.

I stopped playing in general :P trying to get back into it, but I need to relearn the game and a new character before I try ranked again lol

I totally wish this was a thing way before now!

Sorry for my crackheaded (new!) mic spitting static to everyone though, I'll have to look it up and problem solve. (If Tritton Kunais are duds for PS3 do let me know)

I don't apologize for Maragidyne though. Maragidyne is so pro lol.

I remember having mic problems a while ago. I'm not sure if this will help, but turning off DTS 5.1 Ch. in the sound settings completely fixed my issue. They may have fixed that problem in a firmware update though, I'm not sure.

Maragidyne is awesome. Unblockable Maragidyne is evil... but still awesome.

Fire Break Maragidyne can be avoided... sometimes. You can roll through the C version (that starts closest to Yukiko) if you time it right, and you can also super jump over it plus use any moves that'll slow your decent. Chie and Yosuke can even outrun the D version pretty easily.

Gotta really watch out for doing unsafe moves or jumping in on Yukiko (unless you're high enough to avoid the start up) if she has Fire Break and is in Awakening though.

Fire Break SB Maragidyne in Ultimax looks like the devil. I don't really see Yukiko players abuse it though, so maybe it has some flaw that makes it relatively easy to avoid.

Maragidyne is awesome. Unblockable Maragidyne is evil... but still awesome.

when you see the super flash and ur right next to them mash throw. u will grab them and avoid the agi if it is the c version. don't be full screen when she has fire break or else it will most likely spell round 2 for you. 

I'd be interested in practicing some of my sub characters here actually, if that would be okay?
I main Kanji, but I like playing Yosuke and Naoto too. 

when you see the super flash and ur right next to them mash throw. u will grab them and avoid the agi if it is the c version. don't be full screen when she has fire break or else it will most likely spell round 2 for you. 

You can roll through the C version and super jump over both of them. A pretty evil setup though is to burst then immediately do Maragidyne D, which I don't believe all of the cast can outrun (at the very least I'm sure Kanji, Liz, and Akihiko can't).