Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xechs

Tekken 7 announced

Yeah Bound doesn't belong in Tekken, and neither does anything from Tekken 4. It had the worst gameplay, worst soundtrack, worst everything out of all of them.

EDIT: Comic-Con Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKBAmZEAxsw

Harada confirmations from Comic-Con:

-Characters will still speak in their native tongue when the game comes out.

-This is the final chapter of the Mishima saga.

-Lars is confirmed to return, as expected. What wasn't expected is that he will be getting an updated design from artist Ninnin, who worked on Duel Masters and Cardfight!! Vanguard.

-Two other artists were confirmed by name to be on board for creating new costumes: Mari Shimazaki (Bayonetta) and Yusuke Yuzaki (No More Heroes, Fire Emblem: Awakening). There are more artists on board who will be revealed later.

New character revealed!

tekken-7-tgs2014-newcharacter.jpg

Her name is Catalina, she hails from Latin America, and she uses Savate. According to Harada, she's going to be quite vocal and sassy during fights.

Yeah Bound doesn't belong in Tekken, and neither does anything from Tekken 4. It had the worst gameplay, worst soundtrack, worst everything out of all of them.

EDIT: Comic-Con Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKBAmZEAxsw

Harada confirmations from Comic-Con:

-Characters will still speak in their native tongue when the game comes out.

I think bounds look sort of silly but they help diminish the advantage of combo ability the top tier always had. With bounds now pretty most characters have a decent wall carry combo, and on average can do more damaging combos with many different starters. Also bound combos generally lower the execution level for combos, which I think is a good thing. The biggest downside with bound combos is that they usually limit combo creativity since using bound moves is optimal for improving combos.

Awesome news to hear about the voice acting. I always did not like how the Chinese characters ended up speaking Japanese and Caucasians all speak English. Also, I wonder if there will be in-game quotes while playing in matches. Seems so to me thus far since Catalina is suppose to be a character taunting players. As for Catalina being from Central or South America, what language would she speak? It has to be Spanish or else she would be a Brazilian speaking Portuguese.

As for Catalina, I also think that her character design is horrible. Her outfit doesn't come off too overtly sexual to me compared to other people, but it looks terrible. Her pants are fashionable loud in a bad way (there are few ways to make stripped pants look good and she isn't pulling it off) and it doesn't make sense why anyone would wear a bikini top to match with stripped pants. Her face looks decent but sort of plain and forgettable.

Tekken 4 had bad music? I thought it had some awesome tracks like the airport, rooftop, beach and laboratory stage. I rock Authentic Sky on my car stereo! I also love Tekken 4's presentation and announcer. That is enough nostalgia for me to pop in T4 in my PS2 and play it right now. o/

What a lameass wankbait boobie character. She must be intended as the female counterpart to Miguel, who was similarly forgettable.

I was pretty dismissive of Miguel when Tekken 6 first came out, but he really grew on me.  While his design couldn't compete with the sheer gaudiness of characters like A and Lars, he had a subtle charisma I found appealing.  Dude had some awesome moves as well.  (If you want to talk about forgettable characters from T6, I refer you to Zafina — or, as most people call her, What's-Her-Face.)

I think bounds look sort of silly but they help diminish the advantage of combo ability the top tier always had. With bounds now pretty most characters have a decent wall carry combo, and on average can do more damaging combos with many different starters. Also bound combos generally lower the execution level for combos, which I think is a good thing. The biggest downside with bound combos is that they usually limit combo creativity since using bound moves is optimal for improving combos.

Tekken was never meant to be about lengthy combos, though.  The engine in earlier games favored smart movement and fundamentals with an emphasis on short, damaging combos that rewarded you for punishing your opponents' mistakes.  The bound system came into being because the devs wanted players to be able to do these long, super-flashy combos that would look hype in gameplay trailers.  But as you pointed out, it had the opposite effect in practice, largely reducing the gameplay to two people dancing around waiting for an opening, then going in with a wall-carry combo they could mash out from muscle memory.  Rinse and repeat.  They look incredibly unnatural as well, with weird stuff like mid-level jabs launching characters up off the ground and attacks not properly connecting between the characters' models.  I don't expect (or want) my fighting games to have strictly realistic physics, but I don't like every match looking like the engine is being glitched out either.

So I'm a bit upset at the fact that Savate was traditionally a French fighting style (or historically, it's been credited to the French), but the character isn't, but whatever... Honestly, Catalina = Christie to me... Maybe she's just another "easily accessible" character, but we'll have to wait and see. It'd be kinda cool to have a French character in a fighter that's not VF's Lion...

As for T4, I liked the direction Namco was going with it, except for the 1+3 position shifting... The overall dynamics of the game made the game interesting to me... But to each his own...

For those complaining about the combo system, it was all an attempt to make the game accessible for casuals to have some equal footing with those who are competitive, or those who aren't competitive, but happen to know a bit more about the system than the average person who just buys the game and starts mashing... Inputs were made a bit easier, and other combo possibilities where made so that you didn't necessarily have to do one specific juggle for max damage per sé... I still play games like Tekken 3 and all the characters that could do 70dmg (1/2 life) combos only had like a few specific combos that you had to know to do max damage, like Jin's laser scraper to demon paw or Lei's max damage with his Rush Combo... I don't mind the bound system, but I do miss the more Tekken 5-ish style of juggles that were more like an advanced version of Tekken 3/TTT... As someone else said, bounds also give relatively "lower tiered" characters a fighting chance. I know in T6, everyone could do 1/2 life combos, so it eventually went down to what tools your specific character had in terms of poking, frame traps, throw setups, etc...

...But yeah everyone who played T4 can agree that Touch and Go (airport stage) was one of the best tracks in the game... I liked how some of the stages' songs would change during a KO also... The only things I hated were the Arena infinites, that damn SNK jeep in the garage stage that was glitched out, EWGF, Steve Fox's 3,1,1~ infinite, and facing the armada of Jin players who spammed his jf Laser Scraper, which contrary to what people think, it's easy to beat...

For those who are not happy with Catalina, don't worry. You can all look forward to a 2nd character reveal at Strong Style, where Harada will be showing off a playable build of T7.

Visually, there's isn't much to Miguel, but I love his battle style and gameplay [personality wise, he acts like a typical hot blooded Spaniard so . . . meh]

That's pretty much how I feel Catalina may roll out [as she will be having an interesting basis for her fighting style] I'm pretty neutral on her appearance, it's far from "bad" but it isn't exactly distinct or memorable [which itself isn't a bad thing, because I don't care for whacky designs for the sake of being distinct]. My main issue on a first impression basis is that she literally looks like a fan edit of Christie lolol

Honestly, this is an issue when you have 60+ designs floating around, also foe me Zafina [both in design and gameplay] my favorite addition in T6.

And yeah, please get rid of Bounds, like I guess I can tolerate it in T6 but definitely in Tag 2, it just makes the game less interesting the higher you get up in competition. 5DR is still my go-to game for this series.

Next month's location test will tell me if I'm going to care for T7; Harada claims to be going back to the series core, yet promises 2 NEW features, the roster is just getting bloated and balance and match ups more difficult to grasp, earlier he claimed that he has interest in featuring Tag play as a standard feature [sort of like DoA does] but if it's like Tag 2 then I want nothing to do with it if the community deems it standard. Despite all this, I'll stay [cautiously] optimistic.

Oh, visually for Miguel I couldn't care less (I generally make him look really retarded with customs), and his personality is whatever, but his playstyle is a lot of fun.

I just see Catalina being really fun and having a good style. Visually, she's just "random chick".

For Tag 2, I usually ignore the tag aspect and play with 1 person.

T5DR still had combos still had running jab combos, which I thought always looked silly. Bound combos in my opinion look better but not by that much. A universal restand instead of bounds, like what you see in VF5:FS, would look so much better since it would look more "natural".

For Catalina, I guess the jury is still out for me. Maybe in after seeing her in action I will change my mind. I just think her personality would have to make up for her bland appearance.

New Male character named Claudio?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/By-woNZCEAAEwWK.jpg

EDIT: The characters in the build are:

Claudio

Asuka

King

Steve

Paul

Hwarang

M.Law

Lili

Kazuya

Katarina(changed from Catalina)

Lars

Leo

Dragunov

Feng

Heihaichi

Alisa

Xiaoyu

Bryan

EDIT: Gameplay details and stuff

http://shoryuken.com/2014/10/02/tekken-7-details-emerging-from-location-tests-new-character-claudio-power-crush-moves-and-more/

Looks like they're going the Soul Calibur 5 route and incorporating mechanics from 2D fighters into Tekken. In this case, Desperation Moves and Focus Attacks. Could be interesting.

Also Claudio looks fabulous as fuck.

EDIT: And looks like Kazuya has gone full Wesker.

Looks like they're going the Soul Calibur 5 route and incorporating mechanics from 2D fighters into Tekken. In this case, Desperation Moves and Focus Attacks. Could be interesting.

Also Claudio looks fabulous as fuck.

EDIT: And looks like Kazuya has gone full Wesker.

Claudio looks like the guys from Final Fantasy 15 left him out of thier roadtrip so he settled for going to a King of the Iron Fist Tournament.

According to the ATP crew Bounds are gone but meh, game looks too effect heavy.

More footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJbMmdRMQ1Q

HOLY FUK these hit sparks and effects are obnoxious, is this the 3D equivalent to En-Eins!? lol, we get it Bamco, you got a new engine x.x [hopefully these aren't refined yet but how did they clear testing!? D:] Also they copied the gems filter for rage, which is the only thing I didn't like about SFxT .v.

Katarina looks interesting, kind of scrub friendly as she was chaining attacks with relative easy; not that this is good or bad yet. Bounds still exist so . . .withholding hype.

HOLY FUK these hit sparks and effects are obnoxious, is this the 3D equivalent to En-Eins!? lol, we get it Bamco, you got a new engine x.x [hopefully these aren't refined yet but how did they clear testing!? D:] Also they copied the gems filter for rage, which is the only thing I didn't like about SFxT .v.

Katarina looks interesting, kind of scrub friendly as she was chaining attacks with relative easy; not that this is good or bad yet. Bounds still exist so . . .withholding hype.

Aris says Bounds exists mid-string but not single moves so....improvent?

http://www.twitch.tv/avoidingthepuddle

Aris,Rip and Rickstah discuss Tekken 7.

According to Aris someone told him Tekken 7 will be easier than Tag 2 but the same as Tekken 6.

New quick get-up.

Law is actually Fulgore from KI.

Launchers have more vertical range.

King has Armor King moves, possibly meaning the latters exclusion(yes please, less characters is better)