Anne

Persona 4 Arena Q&A Thread

Welcome to the Persona 4 Arena Question Thread!

Ask any questions GAMEPLAY related regarding Persona 4 Arena and Persona 4 Arena Ultimax here. Anything story related please take it to the Zepp Museum or your fan blog.

Anyone is allowed to ask a question, and anyone is allowed to answer a question. However, please read the following rules as to this thread:
  • You are allowed to ask as many questions as you want in a single post. However, please be smart about what you ask. We don't want to see questions that ask about how much swag Banchou has.
  • If you are going to answer a question, please be courteous of the person who asked the question. Just because an answer may be obvious to you does not mean that it will be obvious to the person who asked the question. In other words, respect the person in your answer.
  • If you notice any information from an answer to be incorrect or an opinion that's completely skewed, you are allowed to make a post regarding your corrections or thoughts. However, the same rule applies. In the case of opinions, please keep your own to a minimum. This topic isn't meant for arguments or debates, but rather for helping the ignorant and curious.
  • Don't make any flammatory or pointless posts. Try your best to refrain from making redundant posts. Our forums have a "Search Thread" feature located in the bar above the first post of the page. We'll be lenient on the redundancy, since we understand very well that searching through Dustloop posts is not only an absolutely cringing hassle, but also because some of the posts here aren't what we call "quality posts." However, if you ask a question that's just been asked a few posts ago, we will give you a warning.
Breaking these rules will either result in an infraction, tempban, or permanent ban, depending on how bad the offense is, past offenses, or the mood that the mods feel. Seriously, don't mess with us on this.

Love you all, go nuts.

I didn't get to play P4U all that much with others, but now that P4U2 is coming out, I'm giving it some serious play!!

Since there's so many different commands and movement options, it's sort of difficult to do them all on one finger as a pad player. What are your pad layouts? 

I guess I'll get the ball rolling...has the Gold burst improved in P4U2 or relatively stayed the same?

Not "improved" but balanced. Gold Bursts will now refill your Persona Cards but are less advantageous on block.

will now refill your Persona Cards

Speaking of which, I'm not totally sure I understand the new system for card recovery. Let's say Akihiko (2 cards) and Elizabeth (6 cards) get Persona broken at the same time. Do we know of accurate data to tell how the time intervals for recovery are calculated proportional to a character's number of cards?

Speaking of which, I'm not totally sure I understand the new system for card recovery. Let's say Akihiko (2 cards) and Elizabeth (6 cards) get Persona broken at the same time. Do we know of accurate data to tell how the time intervals for recovery are calculated proportional to a character's number of cards?

I don't really know about that, but the system recovery did change from P4U to P4U2.

In P4U, as soon as you get Persona broken, your cards will start recovering with little pauses between them.

In P4U2, when you get Persona broken, you'll enter a cooldown where your cards won't recover. After some time, they start recovering without pauses.

I don't know if the cooldown time is the same for all characters, but that would be my guess.

Edited by Strife

I don't really know about that, but the system recovery did change from P4U to P4U2.

In P4U, as soon as you get Persona broken, your cards will start recovering with little pauses between them.

In P4U2, when you get Persona broken, you'll enter a cooldown where your cards won't recover. After some time, they start recovering without pauses.

I don't know if the cooldown time is the same for all characters, but that would be my guess.

It is different on a character to character basis.

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gauges_(P4AU)#Persona_Break

My question is related to P4U2. When are hops ever used or am I just unaware of when they're used? I know you can cancel into them after some moves, but you can't attack until the apex of it, it puts you in a CH state, and the moves can be blocked high and low. So why would you ever use it?

My question is related to P4U2. When are hops ever used or am I just unaware of when they're used? I know you can cancel into them after some moves, but you can't attack until the apex of it, it puts you in a CH state, and the moves can be blocked high and low. So why would you ever use it?

Well, I know Mitsuru uses hops in her blockstring and does j.A. It's more or less to bait certain things, like throws or something, since Mitsuru can get good damage off j.A counter hits. Most times though, it's just good to extend blockstrings and keep up pressure if the opponent playing defensively.

Well, I know Mitsuru uses hops in her blockstring and does j.A. It's more or less to bait certain things, like throws or something, since Mitsuru can get good damage off j.A counter hits. Most times though, it's just good to extend blockstrings and keep up pressure if the opponent playing defensively.

I see, I'm probably assuming that hops last longer than they actually do. I'm also not keeping in mind the amount of hit stun the move you're canceling from inflicts before the hop. So it can be useful, though? Good to know... dankeschön.

You'll mostly see it used as a frame trap, like with Mitsuru. With Teddie it's actually really hilarious, Marro will use hop to fake an IAD left/right to try and catch people.

You'll mostly see it used as a frame trap, like with Mitsuru. With Teddie it's actually really hilarious, Marro will use hop to fake an IAD left/right to try and catch people.

Teddie's only overhead is AoA anyway so it's not like you're missing out on any mix-ups by using hops.

Teddie's only overhead is AoA anyway so it's not like you're missing out on any mix-ups by using hops.

That actually got me thinking; since Teddie's only overhead is his AoA, is it still an overhead if he hops and does his AoA in the air (since he is the only one who can do that)?

I've seen some Labrys users hop cancel into j.B, which is able to hit because not only does j.B start up faster, but you can act earlier in the hop than in P4A.

That actually got me thinking; since Teddie's only overhead is his AoA, is it still an overhead if he hops and does his AoA in the air (since he is the only one who can do that)?

Only if the hop isn't canceled into.

I heard that it's possible to use the second move the of the 5AAA auto combos with 6A on some characters, is this true? I've never seen it mentioned anywhere else.

As an aside, it states that in the Megami Tensei wiki version so I imagine that's why.

If this has been addressed already, forgive me. For the DLC being free in the beginning, the JP ver. is locked to that version of the game and can't be crossed over, correct?

If this has been addressed already, forgive me. For the DLC being free in the beginning, the JP ver. is locked to that version of the game and can't be crossed over, correct?

Yes, JP DLC will only work with the JP version of the game.

Edited by Strife

What mode do I unlock navigators and glasses in?

Also is there a certain arcade lobby gaijins are hanging out in or is everyone using player lobbies?

I didn't get to play P4U all that much with others, but now that P4U2 is coming out, I'm giving it some serious play!!

Since there's so many different commands and movement options, it's sort of difficult to do them all on one finger as a pad player. What are your pad layouts? 

I'm new to Persona, so all of the macros did throw me off, because you literally can't map them all to your trigger buttons.  Plus I use a different layout for the square, triangle, cross, and circle buttons...so I can't throw and AoA easily since the A&B/C&D buttons aren't right next to each other anymore. 

Anyways my layout is

A = Square

B = Circle

C = Triangle

D = Cross (or X or whatever you want to call it)

C+D = R1 (Throw)

A+B = L1  (All Out Attack)

A+C = R2 (Evasive Action)

B+D = L2  (Furious Action)

A+C+D = L3 (Burst)

A+B+C = R3 (One More Cancel)

R1 is my throw tech button in all of my other games, so I needed that one to be consistent. Having evasive action on R2 makes airdash > airturning easier. Burst is the same as it is in Blazblue's standard layout. The only awkward thing about this layout, for me, is One More Canceling

R1 is my throw tech button in all of my other games, so I needed that one to be consistent. Having evasive action on R2 makes airdash > airturning easier. Burst is the same as it is in Blazblue's standard layout. The only awkward thing about this layout, for me, is One More Canceling

Have you tried swapping OMC macro with Furious Action or All Out Attack? Furious Action, I imagine, isn't something used often. And it's probably easier to press R3 for Furious Action than it is to press it for OMC combo.

Have you tried swapping OMC macro with Furious Action or All Out Attack? Furious Action, I imagine, isn't something used often. And it's probably easier to press R3 for Furious Action than it is to press it for OMC combo.

Hmm I'll try that. While there are some things I think you have to FAction on reaction like Sho's teleport or Yu's B Raging Lion in pressure (still new here, so there might be other ways to deal with it that I don't know about) I can probably just press B and D together to get F-Action and still be okay. Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------

Okay I have a question now. When I downloaded the game off of the JP PSN store, it came with like 6 other files besides the main 13GB game. I couldn't read what they were so I have no earthly idea what I downloaded. One had a picture of Adachi on it, but I don't think it unlocked him for me, did it? I sure as hell can't select him in the character select screen, so I'm curious as to what that file with the Adachi picture on it was.

Hmm I'll try that. While there are some things I think you have to FAction on reaction like Sho's teleport or Yu's B Raging Lion in pressure (still new here, so there might be other ways to deal with it that I don't know about) I can probably just press B and D together to get F-Action and still be okay. Thanks.

I find it way easier to use the roll button + B or D to get OMC/Burst, rather than mapping them to their own buttons. So in your case, R2+X/Circle. My layout that I've used since P4A (which is practically the default):

A: Square

B: X

C: Triangle

D: Circle

A+C: R1

B+D: R2

AoA: L1

And that's it. As I said, AC+B/D is used for three-button commands. The only reason I map AoA is because mashing it on pad with my thumb is a bitch, for me anyway.