Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Corpse_Slam

Wild Throw for an experienced player

I have been playing GG since the original game. I love it, and pretty much refuse to play any other fighting games. I am well versed in the fundamentals of the game, and have no problems with any aspect of comboing, or anything like that, EXCEPT, for whatever reason, I have the hardest time using command grabs (in this case Wild Throw, since Sol is the only character I really play anymore). 

TL;DR version is, I am wondering if anyone has any tips on sneaking a WT in there? It seems that I am never close enough to make it work, therefore always making it whiff. 

Against experienced players you're going to have a hard time because they know 1 frame jumps and can read tick throws pretty well, they even option select throw-break at times too.  Experienced players will also know what moves are throw-wiff too.

I'd say the safest way to get in now would be Gunflame YRC in to command throw from rushdown.  Otherwise you can do empty jumps (jumps where you don't do air attacks and do nothing, land then throw) or Bandit Bringer YRC.

Gunflame YRC

Bandit Bringer YRC

Wrong section. YRCs aren't in this game (and no, I'm not including Extra Menu, before you say anything to that effect). Bandit Bringer (FRC) is also a pretty poor idea, especially in this context.

As for the topic at hand, there are a lot of things to consider when trying to land a command throw. First of all, for conventional tick throw setups, you want to keep your poking to a minimum, 2P and 2K are good mainstays because they're very low risk normals to just throw out and you can always opt to throw out another low or go for a frame trap instead as a rudimentary mix-up. Simple yet effective.

The reason I say to keep poking to a minimum is because the presence of Faultless Defense means that if you're using pokes as a sustained pressure tool, the opponent will simply try to push you out. This pretty much forces you to dash in if you want to land Bukkirabou ni Nageru (Wild Throw), which carries an obvious risk. Of course, there are ways to combat this. The additional blockstun of Faultless Defense and the fact that it uses up such a valuable resource means that the opponent won't want to use it if it's not beneficial. Therefore, the best way to land a command throw in that situation is to place the opponent under circumstances where they're not inclined to think they can get out for free if they do it. Use the additional blockstun to dash back in and resume offense (2S is good for this, as it's plus on block anyway). Using Gun Flame (FRC) during a block string forces the opponent to either jump away or sit down (usually depending on positioning and how little the opponent wants to deal with you up-close), and either method grants you initiative. If the opponent tries to jump away, demonstrate a willingness to dash 5K or dash j.P.

If you're just looking for sequences that lend themselves well to landing a command throw, on top of the usual short pokes into command throw, VV (RC) > dash WT is a pretty tried and true method, although at this point it might be a little too tried and true. It all depends on your willingness to go ham. RC setups are going to become a lot stronger in Xrd too, due to slowdown stifling the opponent's defensive options. Aside from that, safe jump j.S, dash WT works more than it really ought to as well.

Hey fellas, thank you for the input, I appreciate it. My most consistent working tactic for WT as of right now is, if I go for Tyrant Rave, and they block the first hit, I just RC, and dash > WT. It has worked well, but I don't like relying on that as a method since it uses a full bar. 

Sorry for the noob question but, what do you mean by 2S being plus on block? I know what 2S is, but what do you mean when you say it is plus on block? As I've said, I am a very experienced player, it just happens that my friends and I have all our own made up terms for the game's mechanics. I know that sounds silly, but we haven't been active members of the forums or anything like that, so we just invented our own words for how the game works. 

So to boil down what you said though, the best way of getting in a solid WT would be to play mind games that allow for an opening? Instead of trying to just wait for that opening to present itself.

Thanks again for the help here. 

My most consistent working tactic for WT as of right now is, if I go for Tyrant Rave, and they block the first hit, I just RC, and dash > WT. It has worked well, but I don't like relying on that as a method since it uses a full bar.

That's pretty much just a more expensive version of the VV (RC) > dash WT set-up mentioned above.

Sorry for the noob question but, what do you mean by 2S being plus on block? I know what 2S is, but what do you mean when you say it is plus on block? As I've said, I am a very experienced player, it just happens that my friends and I have all our own made up terms for the game's mechanics. I know that sounds silly, but we haven't been active members of the forums or anything like that, so we just invented our own words for how the game works.

I was referring to the move's Static Difference (more commonly referred to as "frame advantage", regardless of whether the move is at advantage, disadvantage or neutral). 2S is +3 on block (hence "plus"). This means that if 2S is blocked during its first active frame, Sol will recover 3 frames before the opponent leaves blockstun assuming you don't cancel it into anything else. Conversely, if a move is -3, that means the opponent recovers 3 frames before you do if you don't cancel it into anything else. In short, if an attack is plus on block, the attacker has the advantage. If an attack is negative on block, the defender has the advantage.

So to boil down what you said though, the best way of getting in a solid WT would be to play mind games that allow for an opening? Instead of trying to just wait for that opening to present itself.

Basically, yes. Bukkirabou ni Nageru works best when your opponent doesn't even consider it.

Ah! Excellent. Any move giving Sol frame advantage during blockstun would give me enough time (theoretically) so dash in and WT then. Is there a place I can find which moves are + or - on block for Sol?

I have been playing GG since the original game. I love it, and pretty much refuse to play any other fighting games. I am well versed in the fundamentals of the game, and have no problems with any aspect of comboing, or anything like that, EXCEPT, for whatever reason, I have the hardest time using command grabs (in this case Wild Throw, since Sol is the only character I really play anymore). 

TL;DR version is, I am wondering if anyone has any tips on sneaking a WT in there? It seems that I am never close enough to make it work, therefore always making it whiff. 

One trick you can do is the Gunflame ->FRC -> Wild Throw. Best time to use it is when you finally got them respecting you, and have them frightened. I made a quick tutorial on how to get started learning it. I haven't tried to see if it works on pad. Hope this helps. I managed to catch my friends with it a couple times, whenever I do decide to pull it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-8_C5XkbIc