Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OmegaDivider

Panicking

Set the dummy to block the first hit, but not the second. If your blockstring is frametight they should stay blocking after the first hit. If there's a gap they won't block it.

That shows me if I'm doing it too tightly, so I guess it'll have to do, thanks.

HAVE FUN. Some the craziest and most fun times I've had in fighting games have been where i was playing with butterfingers. If you drop a combo try to do some kind of wacky reset. Missing oki situations isn't the end of the world. Enjoy the thrill of playing other human beings. If you have fun doing it you will to it alot, and if you do it alot you will get godlike at it.

That shows me if I'm doing it too tightly, so I guess it'll have to do, thanks.

Make the dummy the character you are playing and yourself the character you want to beat mash of. Record the dummy doing the frametrap in question, then play it back and see if you can mash it. Pretty simple stuff. If you ever want to test if you're doing something right, record the dummy doing it and test it out on yourself. If you wanna get really into it, most games have multiple slots you can record to play back at random, so you can record 3 different timings/options then test out what you can do about it. This is good for testing whether or not somebody can option select or find an easy out to what you are doing.

Make the dummy the character you are playing and yourself the character you want to beat mash of. Record the dummy doing the frametrap in question, then play it back and see if you can mash it. Pretty simple stuff. If you ever want to test if you're doing something right, record the dummy doing it and test it out on yourself. If you wanna get really into it, most games have multiple slots you can record to play back at random, so you can record 3 different timings/options then test out what you can do about it. This is good for testing whether or not somebody can option select or find an easy out to what you are doing.

Again, this is missing the point;  I'm not trying to check if something is or isn't a frame trap or find ways to get out of it.  I'm trying to TRAIN myself to do it with an appropriate level of delay.

On the topic of panicking, whenever you encounter a situation you are uncomfortable with or unfamiliar with, you always have a set reaction to it. Mashing is the most common response to an unfamiliar situation in fighting games, but experience remedies most of that.

The other thing too is, you do need to have some anticipation of what your opponent is planning or thinking of doing, based on numerous factors: the character they are playing, any normals/specials they seem to use, their attention to spacing, et cetera. Again, this is all a matter of experience and then more experience you have, the more easily you will be able to make these assessments.

The other thing too is, don't second guess yourself while playing. If you are going to commit to something, commit to it, and if it ended up being the wrong choice, you can take that information and learn from it and incorporate it into your evolving play. You don't want to be fighting your own judgement while you're trying to fight your opponent.

Long story short, you need to play more to get more experience and feel more comfortable with your character, the game, and yourself.

I think everyone panics a little in various situations. It's just easier for players with less match experience to run into that problem. Even players who have played a lot of matches can panic pretty quickly if they run into an opponent who just reads everything they do and outplays them.

I've been told that it helps to try to calm down and take a few breaths, then to play the game with a more analytical mindset (like "What is his goal, what is he doing here, how does he react if I do X?"), but that probably varies from person to person. I've had difficulty adopting that sort of approach, myself, especially in a tournament setting, where it feels like there's much more pressure to make something happen.

Again, this is missing the point;  I'm not trying to check if something is or isn't a frame trap or find ways to get out of it.  I'm trying to TRAIN myself to do it with an appropriate level of delay.

In the case of BB or any other game without an option to playback a replay upon exiting blockstun, couldn't you just a record a dummy down-backing for a few frames and then start mashing 5A like mad? When played back, the dummy will be stuck in blockstun until a gap shows up where the 5A can actually come out.

Even in games with the option to start playback after exiting blockstun, you sometimes have to use ghetto workarounds to limitation, as is the case in UNIEL. Even though the dummy can be set to playback after they exit blockstun, you can't set the dummy to actually block anything. You end up having to record the mash that you want, followed by the dummy blocking for a short period, then play the entire sequence (by hitting the dummy once) until it starts blocking, from where you can actually test whatever you wanted to.

Obviously this is no good against high/low mixup strings, but that's one of those limitations we just have to live with. :(

Also, apologies for going on a bit of a tangent with that.

The other thing too is, don't second guess yourself while playing. If you are going to commit to something, commit to it, and if it ended up being the wrong choice, you can take that information and learn from it and incorporate it into your evolving play. You don't want to be fighting your own judgement while you're trying to fight your opponent.

This is huge. At the end of the day, fighting games are mostly RPS. You don't beat yourself up over throwing paper when someone else threw scissors. It happens. Move on, think about what you want to do next.

This is huge. At the end of the day, fighting games are mostly RPS. You don't beat yourself up over throwing paper when someone else threw scissors. It happens. Move on, think about what you want to do next.

Like weather or not it's a good idea to throw paper again. ;)

And  yeah, Tari, that's what I've been doing, but it's annoying and I was hoping for a better way. oh well.