Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

danceljoy

Guilty Gear Fandom Survey - Please participate!

Hello, I haven't been active for years but I want to promote this little study of mine. It's a habit of mine to make surveys for my fandoms (Young Justice and Final Fantasy VII) and I realized I haven't done one yet for GG.

This is the link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/11ZRocBaAloqedW8aIwocz_eJopGDI1B2WPyWov_Lk-w/viewform

You don't need to be a big fan to answer this and you have the option to skip sections and questions alike. Currently it's lacking in gameplay related questions but if this survey is successful, I'll make one focusing on gamers or anything that this survey lacked.

I need 50 more participants to publish this, the faster the goal is achieved, the sooner the results will be published.

Small corrections:

GGXX AC = GGXX AC+ in gameplay.

You want to edit that to make it AC+R which is what I presumed you meant since it was missing from "what games have you played"

Also I don't know about making Faust and Baldhead separate entries in some of these, but eh.

Also one could possibly count Axl's Xrd theme as March of the Wicked King?

Rivalry music is missing Millia vs Zato-1 Xrd

Filled it out regardless. I enjoy surveys and data being a marketing and data guy myself professionally :)

The music part was so painful:0 having to choose between themes in a game where all of them I like lol

Got a question on "Male/Female character you´re most attracted to". Does it mean which of them I think look hot? Or does it mean attracted to their style (e.g Testaments goth style) ?

You left out A.D. 2172 (Slash ver.) in the favorite stages question. Why did you do this???!! I almost stopped answering then and there because I had to give a less deserving stage my vote!

Also, what's up with the gender question? Sexual orientaion isn't a gender....

You left out A.D. 2172 (Slash ver.) in the favorite stages question. Why did you do this???!! I almost stopped answering then and there because I had to give a less deserving stage my vote!

Also, what's up with the gender question? Sexual orientaion isn't a gender....

Well nobody's perfect, I made some of the survey questions mostly out of memory and you have an option to put the stage under "others" and it will be counted as a vote.

The gender question? I didn't ask for sexual orientation. It's "girl" or "boy" and queer. It's the first time somebody complained when I surveyed around 1000 people in different fandoms, some even thanked me for the option. Can you suggest another list of options then?

"Genderqueer is a catch-all term for gender identities other than man and woman, thus outside of the gender binary and heteronormativity."  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genderqueer

Small corrections:

GGXX AC = GGXX AC+ in gameplay.

You want to edit that to make it AC+R which is what I presumed you meant since it was missing from "what games have you played"

Also I don't know about making Faust and Baldhead separate entries in some of these, but eh.

Also one could possibly count Axl's Xrd theme as March of the Wicked King?

Rivalry music is missing Millia vs Zato-1 Xrd

Filled it out regardless. I enjoy surveys and data being a marketing and data guy myself professionally :)

I assumed nobody will vote for both Faust and Baldhead, and I copy-pasted the list so I forgot to delete.

And thanks, I'm a researcher myself too and doing this for my fandoms relieves me from stress, although this is not frankly what I do in real life (I'm more on economics.)

Got a question on "Male/Female character you´re most attracted to". Does it mean which of them I think look hot? Or does it mean attracted to their style (e.g Testaments goth style) ?

Well I meant it as who do you think is hot/pretty/handsome.

Also: Just 20 more votes needed

Done, it would have been better though to put the characters theme separately for each game. For example, the original version of Awe of She in X is better than the later ones, at least for me.

Well then you would need to include the many other versions of the song I imagine. Various concerts and CDs/arrangements have been released over the years.

There's no need for that, but if X track that you are listening in X game is significantly different in another game of the same series, then yes. If it's just some arrangement that doesn't appear in those games or they are already there, is not necessary.

^

Well Awe of She is getting so many votes so many in the next survey... if I make one... I could make a poll which versions fans like best.

13 more votes needed.

Edit: Some of the survey comments say some of the tracks are repeats... in that case I will just count the vote if it's not voted twice. Then all the "others" in the music section will be counted as long as they have significant numbers that exceed the top votes. If not, they won't have ranks but I'll try to list them all too.

Results:

For more detailed graphs, visit the raw results here

Important notes:

1. In questions where multiple options are allowed, the percentage is = votes/total voters

2. If I didn’t include the percentage, it means the differences between the ranked items are small or the proportion to the total votes is too small to be considered a majority

3. Options that received the same number of votes get the same ranking

65 Guys

35 Girls

10 Genderqueer/others/no answer

Half of the participants are 18-24 years old, making it the average age range of GG fans

Most are introduced by GGXX: Midnight Carnival (37%) and GGXX: Accent Core (30%)

Most played installments*:

1. Accent Core Plus- 82%

2. #Reload - 68%

3. Isuka - 51%

*Accent Core and Guilty Gear XX in the options aren’t counted, instead their more recent and specific versions get the rankings

Consoles used by GG players, past or present:

1.PS3 - 56%

2.PS2 - 54%

3.PC - 40%

Top main characters:

Note: only one option was allowed

1. Ky Kiske (15%)

2. Sol Badguy (13%)

3. Jam, Dizzy, Testament (6% each)

Lowest: A.B.A and Johnny (no votes)

Top secondary characters:

1. Sol Badguy

2. Ky Kiske

3. Millia

4. Jam

5. Venom

Lowest voted secondary characters: Anji Mito and Robo-Ky

*Justice, Dr. Balhead and Kliff aren’t counted in the lowest ranked

Favorite Characters:

1. Sol Badguy (48%)

2. Ky Kiske (46%)

3. Millia Rage, Slayer (26%)

4. Dizzy, Venom, I-No (19%)

5. Baiken, Faust, Robo-Ky (17%)

Lowest voted: Bedman, Ramlethal Valentine

Most interesting, complex and with character with depth:

1. Sol Badguy (64%)

2. Ky Kiske (60%)

3. Millia Rage (37%)

4. Zato-1* (31%)

5. Dizzy (29%)

6. Faust/Baldhead** (28%)

7. Testament (24%)

8. Venom (21%)

9. Baiken (16%)

10. That Man (14%)

Lowest voted: Jam, Bridget, Robo-Ky, Ramlethal Valentine, Zappa

** (Faust and Baldhead counted as one)

* Eddie is counted separetely

What pairings do you ship?

1. KyxDizzy (40%)

2. SlayerxSharon (29%)

3. Solky (23%)

4. Millia x Zato (22%)

5. Zato x Venom (14%)

Sample of relationships put in "others":

Faust x Ramletherl, Slayer x Sol, Ky x Dizzy, aba/zappa, Chipp x Venom, Sol x Slayer, Eddie x Venom               
Sol x Ky    Sol x Sin    Robo Ky x Ky       Sol x Sin    Devil Sin x Sin           
The Mayship, april x may, Ky x Bridget , I-No x Testament, Chipp x Potemkin, Potemkin x Bridget      

Amadeus x Jam    

Ten favorite relationships:

1. Sol and Ky (66%)

2. Millia and Zato (51%)

3. Zato and Venom (42%)

4. Ky and Dizzy (40%)

5. Ky and Sin (38%)

6. Dizzy and Testament (37%)

7. Sol and That Man, Sol and Sin (36%)

8. Jellyfish family (34%)

9. Baiken and Anji (33%)

Favorite Stages:

1. Mayship

2. Grove

3. Japanese Colony, Paris

4. London

Favorite Character Themes:

*Title includes any version of the theme

1. Holy Orders:Be Just or Be Dead (66%)

2. Awe of She (44%)

3. Writhe in Pain (40%)

4. Keep Yourself Alive (33%)

5. Slayer’s Theme (29%)

6. Blue Water Blue Sky (26%)

7. Feel a Fear, Magnolia Eclair (25%)

8. Suck a Sage (24%)

9. Venom’s Theme, Momentary Life (22%)

Fit their characters best

1. Holy Orders:Be Just or Be Dead (51%)

2. Keep Yourself Alive (36%)

3. Feel a Fear (30%)

4. Blue Water Blue Sky

5. Awe of She, Haven’t You Got Eyes On Your Head?

6. Momentary Life

7. Simple Life

8. Suck a Sage, Slayer’s Xrd theme

Girls and guys have significant differences in their answers

Important: Please do not use the results of the survey to stereotype and make assumptions based on a person’s gender.

1. Most guys are members of the Dustloop forums while most girls answered through Tumblr

Not member of Dustloop:

63% of girls/25% of guys

2. More guys identified themselves as competitive gamers compared to girls. No guys identified themselves as “story fan only.”

Competitive gamers: 62% of guys and 17% of girls

3. Girls on average have been GG fans longer than guys

Girls average: 7.55 years, largest group is fans for 6-9 years

Guys average: 6.14, largest group is fans for 2-5 years

4.In terms of proportion, more girls do fanworks. Mostly there’s no difference in preference of activities* but predictably it’s Dustloop guys who write articles and contribute to archives.

Girls - Only 17% doesn’t do anything or answered only “just consume fanwork”

Guys - 40%  doesn’t do anything or answered only “just consume fanwork”

4. Ky and Millia get more votes from girls while Sol and Slayer tops the ranks of guys.  Also, guys find Zato and Dizzy interesting characters story-wise significantly more than girls.

(highest to lowest is left to right)

Main character:

Girls: Ky

Guys: Sol, Ky

Favorite Character

Girls: Ky, 60% Sol 54% Millia 29%

Guys: Sol,  Ky, Slayer

Most complex, interesting, and deep characters:

Girls: Sol, Ky, Millia and Testament (tied)

Guys: Sol, Ky, Dizzy, Zato-1, Millia

Favorite Trio:

Girls: Millia/Venom/Zato, Sol/Sin/Ky

Guys: Millia/Venom/Zato, Sol/Dizzy/Ky and Frederick/Aria/That Man (tied)

5. All except two girls are shippers in the survey, while 30% of guys have no ships.

Top pairings:

Girls: KyxDizzy and Solky are tied, each taking 40% of votes

Guys: KyxDizzy is voted by 37% of shippers, the next is SlayerxSharon which takes 20%

* (examples are essays, translation, cosplay, articles, roleplay, fanart, fanfic, information dissemination, forum administration or event organization for Guilty Gear).

Guys like Sol so much that some voted for Order-Sol and Sol at the same time in the favorite characters poll… it’s only counted as one vote though.

Contrary to popular belief, there are actually guys who ship Solky, six of them

On average GG fans have a fairly positive reception to Blazblue with a score of 6.7

Fans who are around 2-5 years in the fandom tend to give BB higher scores, but the opposite does not apply to long-time fans (their results are varied.)

COMMENTS:

Yes. Some questions i would suggest would be about what we think a gear is or what symbolism we think is displayed in the games.

Yes, questions related to know better our knowledge of GG's story could be interesting, if it's good.

No, thank you, this survey is very good)

Yes, questions that have to do with the story mode.

If you give me suggestions maybe I'll make another one

Sure! How about some questions about gameplay? Like, what do you think you'd change about how some characters play?

Something related to the characters from a gameplay perspective. For example: choice for picking a main, character would like to play but can't, stuff like that.

I'd do another GG survey. I don't know what you could ask though.

Yeah sure. I recommend more on gameplay, but this was great.

Questions like how aware people are of the games themselves, the gameplay, the Japanese communities, competition, etc.

More gameplay aspects, perhaps?

(Unless this was posted somewhere where players may see it) the lack of gameplay related questions are going to turn off competitive players from answering these surveys; therefore, you're going to get an incredibly skewed sample from this survey... So, gameplay related questions. I suggest asking the playerbase for interesting questions.

Not sure. Maybe a gameplay or "game-feel" survey?

Sure, maybe some Qs on playstyles and mechanics, or is that too high level/

Sure. Maybe do a section about gameplay. Like favourite movesets, favourite system mechanics, etc.

Yes! Gameplay stuff.

-Who is your favorite teddy bear? -Who is your favorite crossdressing nun who fights with a yoyo? -What is your shoe size? -Do you play Call of Duty? -What qualities do you believe make Honzo Gonzo the #1 UNIEL Player in America? -Why is SKD your favorite BlazBlue player? -Kenji vs Zidane First To 10: Who are you betting on?

I want know the Goods what fans(especially consumer) want

If you give me all gameplay questions you want to ask maybe I'll make another one.

Yes! Who is your least favorite character?

Anji Mito and Bridget - I don’t hate them, they’re just my least favorite

A couple of typos and mistakes. Just to be funny though you should have put I love them all in the music section because was real hard to have to choose

Sorry for the typos, but yeah it’s difficult to choose I know. Makes the survey more fun

Thanks for making this survey. It was fun to answer questions about my favorite game series.

For the favorite character section, the cap was too small! Otherwise this was pretty entertaining.

I loved it.

Rather well thought out

Great survey!

Loved the spread of it. :3 A very conclusive and fun survey overall.

Thank you for making this attractive survey(<◎>)

This was fun.

Holy fuck I love Potemkin Jesus christ I want Burly heart tattooed on my hand Holy shit

I'm actually not too knowledgeable on Guilty Gear - the game or the story! I do really like the characters, music, and mechanics, but I haven't dedicated myself to it for various reasons.

Interesting questions. Good job!

I really enjoyed this survey.

Petty good.

Thanks too!

The Midnight Carnival doesn't appear in character's theme (I-No boss theme, is still a character theme as well as Awe of She and Ramlethal's theme), and since you put Potemkin and Gabriel, I don't see why you didn't put Slayer and Gabriel in relationship.

I forgot because I never see them interact despite the existence of the said relationship. If they did, it’s very minor. That’s why “others” is in the options.

Less emphasis on Pairings, more on solid official info.

LOL there was one item dedicated on pairings with 4 pages of non-pairing related questions.

very interesting. Too bad I didnt see this thread in time to fill the survey.

good job.

Some of those pairings people ship though... :vbang:

I wanted to comment on this without like reblogging it on tumblr since that's really messy so wow I'm actually using my Dustloop account!

As a girl, I mostly found the gender analysis really interesting! Some of it is sort of predictable, but the most interesting thing is that girls have on average been fans longer than guys (I'm nearing the 10 year mark myself), and I guess one could say that stems from being more story oriented fans. Like you're going to stick to a series if you want to know how the story continues, but more gameplay oriented people could come and go if they dislike changes for instance.

Anyway, this was super interesting, and I'm glad I caught it on Tumblr and was able to fill it out right before you closed it!