Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TeeJay

The How and What regarding thinking in matches and adaptation

My thought process:

"what will the opponent do?"

"oh ok i think I know"

"how do I make their move not work"

*proceeds to make opponent unable to play how s/he wants to play no matter how badly it will impact the match for me or what resources i need to waste if my guess is right*

I never really care about winning. Just trolling :v:

This mindset is also what allows me to burstbait and counterassault bait very well :v:

My thought process:

"what will the opponent do?"

"oh ok i think I know"

"how do I make their move not work"

*proceeds to make opponent unable to play how s/he wants to play no matter how badly it will impact the match for me or what resources i need to waste if my guess is right*

Earlier this week, before you had class, I got to play you a set with my Tsubaki. That lobby was dead until you left and then people galore. 

So far, I've unloaded a lot of stuff unless necessary and I've been a bit more aware of options. I was thinking about intricate things so much, that I couldn't remember simple thing like bait DPs. I guess, anything you are tweaking in training mode, you probably shouldn't be thinking about in a match. More intricate, habitual things might need to be thought out between rounds or matches. I haven't been getting burned out in sets and I was picking up on habits a bit more. Perhaps switching from years of Litchi, which I played pretty vanilla and defensively to Tsubaki probably created some more over-thinking. I'd be cramming so much stuff outside of what's happening on screen.

Playing some Labrys after a 6 month layoff was a pretty good application test. I was doing pretty decent and fast recovery in remembering what to do and what not to do in matchups more clearly. 

I think (heh) that this is the opposite of a lot of the advice given here - you need to be able to NOT THINK about most things, because you really don't have a lot of time during the match and things are happening very fast, so it's crucial to offload as much thinking as possible so you can saving your thinking for the critical stuff and/or getting to Yomi Level 3. :P

This article is pretty interesting.

But yeah, @Crossfire. Thinking too much of what to do can end up making you do nothing at all when the time comes. Having too many ideas in your head at once can make you unsure/overburden you and start making you do random/reckless crap.

Image is pretty accurate: okizeme.png

That's your problem if you really don't know how to properly think about things. Sometimes I think all the time, sometimes I don't think. Reactionary defense is possible (in most situations at least). Again that's your problem if you can't offload your thinking. 

Work on it, I'm not going to go into a long winded post about this because there isn't any reason to.

"I never really care about winning. Just trolling"

Right right. 

Regarding if you've made fighting game more complicated I played Vampire Savior in college everyday. I played my roommate once and obliterated him. I set up a ps2 or maybe it was a 1 with marvel vs. Capcom in another dorm and was number 1 for weeks then one summer one of my regular playmates said he was going to some arcade in miami and pay some folks to teach him MvC when he came back i couldn't beat him. I played more and for longer hours, it was like all i did, but not understanding the gameplay systems, his knowledge of what's possible was just immense. I practiced & practiced and he was better even if he put less time into it. My point being, you can love playing the game and that experience will make you better. The environment in these games shapes you and with out thinking you'll know Jin has a certain attack, but understanding the game completely is vital to survive. Something which i am only now learning with BB :) my Amane is pathetic in ranked i think like 18% wins or something.

I do the Bruce Lee thing. "Do not think. Feel." I play in a way that is reliant on intuition and on trusting said intuition despite everything. It's I believe the result of having played so much that I've seen everything enough times to always take it into account sub-consciously in the form of a feeling, of an approach somehow seeming appropriate, of a read seeming to "fit" with the way things are going based on how many other times in the past the exact same situation followed these exact same steps. I don't actually reflect on all the past events like an anime montage though, I just instantly pluck the response to the situation and do it as a reflexive obviously choice.

Adjustments for me are hypodermic, I make them behind the scenes without actively intending to. It always feels like I never adjusted anything at all but things just "worked out" to me. If you asked me what my thought process was which caused the change I'd tell you something along the lines of "I just generally played better than I had been playing up to then". That's about as much as I am cognizant of.