Sign in to follow this  
Jet Set Dizzy

AC: Matchups

Discus and debate Dizzy's Accent Core Matchups. This thread didn't exist yet so i though i'd put it up, i have a feeling I'll be using it alot in a few weeks.

This thread could have waited a few weeks, but a few predictions:

Baiken

In Slash Dizzy owned baiken in the air and could play pretty even with her when both were on the ground. Ground play is clearly in Baikens advantage now, so this matchup is against Dizzy.

Slayer

This is even more retarded keepaway than before. Still pretty even because Dizzy can run away better than before.

Anji

If Dizzy can capitalize on her unguardpointable attacks, she wins. She is also one of the better characters to bait guardpoint counters. Dizzy wins.

Testament

EXE punish on summons just got a whole lot less scary. Testament loses a lot of his scary lockdown thanks to crow being harder to land. Generally, this matchup favors Dizzy a whole lopt more than the Slash matchup did. I'm going to call it even

Good stuff Nehle....I'll try my hand at a few predictions.

Millia

This matchup is in Millia's favor. The air belongs to Millia, but on the ground Dizzy probably has slight advantage, due to the fact that she has all the necessary tools to keep Millia out and frustrate her ground advances. Wathc out for FB disc.....it's godly. Also watch your spacing for pin and try to learn what distances are safe to avoid it.

Potemkin

IMO, Dizzy owns this match with the right attitude. You don't want to go toe to toe with Potemkin, bc it's Pot Buster country. Thankfully, Dizzy has her great projectile wall to keep him at bay. With j.2s, I see Dizzy having an even better advantage in the air. On retreat, as always throw bubble. With advances, make sure you're covered with airspike/fish. The latter is especially important.

Potemkin

IMO, Dizzy owns this match with the right attitude. You don't want to go toe to toe with Potemkin, bc it's Pot Buster country. Thankfully, Dizzy has her great projectile wall to keep him at bay. With j.2s, I see Dizzy having an even better advantage in the air. On retreat, as always throw bubble. With advances, make sure you're covered with airspike/fish. The latter is especially important.

Be sure to watch out for Slide Head, though. If throwing out Fish and Spikes becomes predictable, Potemkin will simply throw out a Slide Head in preparation. Potemkin also has his FDB to deal with projectile spam, but it's situational.

In general, though, Dizzy does have the advantage. Just remember that you can't really afford to get hit by anything Potemkin has to offer in ^ Core.

Haha, I spaced putting Slide Head and Flicker in.......go me right?:yaaay: But yes, um.......try your best not to get hit on Pot....Dizzy falls into the "weak as paper" category (along with Millia, Baiken and Chipp).

Pot: Dizzy vs Pot matchup looks about the same as it did in Slash when you're both at neutral. You shouldn't be eating Slide Heads from far out anyhow, and if you do you aren't gonna get combo'd just yet for the most part (if you eat a fullscreen Slide Head, I mean). FB bubble creates some interesting situations closer to midscreen; from right outside the range where things start getting risky on both sides, FB bubble will fly over to Pot in a bit less than a second or so, creating instant mental pressure on Pot, if not actual blockstun/mixup situations... plus you can pop it on the way to put Pot in blockstun so you can take some calculated risks, or nail him if he flinched. I think sweep JC helps in this fight moreso than in others because it lets you do short strings from out of PB range and then either get your knockdown on hit, or on block you can take a risk and try throwing crap at him or you can back off and reset the situation. Baiken: Baiken will be a hell of a lot harder to get in on because her ground pokes got better. The other primary change to this matchup is throw breaks, which help Baiken immensely IMHO. Still, if Dizzy gets in she can kinda just throw Baiken around- problem is that Baiken is now more capable of keeping Dizzy out and also rushing Dizzy down. Dunno what I think of this matchup just yet... smart baiting/throwing up close can turn the tables for Dizzy, and Dizzy can probably bait and punish flying-Baiken-attack better than most (if you're rushing with mostly 2P/2K + throw shenanigans, you can probably do a quick dash -> icespike to punish, dunno if it'll net you the CH though). Fish are still useful if you set them from afar, just don't use lazer fish to start attacking 'cuz they are hella easy to flying-Baiken-attack (unless you are trying to bait it!). Bite fish are great as meatshields though. Slayer: BBU hits a huge vertical chunk of the screen, goes under most fish, is a ground attack (need to FD in the air) and hits in like 10F. Combined with Slayer's ability to kill Dizzy even harder now, this fight is kinda silly. BBU can make or break this match, depending on how prepared you are for it. Running away is dangerous because of BBU (travels a bit less than half the screen really fast, hits a huge vertical area, big damage, upper-body invul, ducks low), but it's not completely invincible by any means- 2K beats it clean and gives you a 2D into whatever. I'd say the matchup is about how it was in Slash, though... Slayer has always been able to kill Dizzy hella fast, the question mark has always been how well Dizzy could pressure him or run away from him. Slayer can BDC out of some pressure and bullies Dizzy on the ground, which forces her into the air where Slayer can bully her some more from the ground... but Dizzy can toss out FB bubble now, which makes Slayer have to be more careful lest he eat 50% damage off a pop. FB bubble is risky, but Dizzy is all about calculated risks. Pretty much Dizzy can run away as normal till Slayer gets bar, then she has to play it safer- but she can try to get Slayer to get frustrated and run into something big. Slayer WILL get bar before Dizzy in most matches, but if you block BBU it's -22 on block or something equally stupid so just hurt him. Patience and smart risks. Testament- Eating EXE beast still sucks. It sucks even more now that Tessu can Badlands loop off it. If Tessu is slow, your summon might hang out (if you did fish) and prevent a loop and you might not eat a CH. Spear goes away, though. Other than that, Testament got a real 6P and huge combos on lights to top off other silliness like practically-safe FB Gravediggers (-5 on block) and has way better ground pokes. That said, Tessu can kinda just die if you get him in pressure. I'd say good movement is the most important thing- if you can bait things like 6K or whatever, you can score a knockdown and then what is Testament gonna do? DAA? So yeah. I think it's in Testament's favor just because he has more good options in the fight in a neutral situation and can transition into his offense more easily than Dizzy can in this fight. Not a huge advantage (6-4?) but still noticibly in his favor.

I think slide head is less scary now that once your fish is out it stays out, as lonk as you dont get hit durring summon. same with EXE beast. a FBbubble may give you just enough time to get a summon out. yea slayers BBU is gonna be real annoying. just gotta bait it for great punishment. baiken has low vitality?

I don't agree on CD assessment on the Testament matchup. Yes, his pokes are better than Dizzy's but they are not better than in Slash. Fact is, 6K got worse (yay) and 6P won't be that great as an AA against Dizzy. I definetily think that dizzy came out ahead of Testament with her new j2S versus his new 6P - it's like a slower version of Dizzys 2S with a worse hitbox. That said, at the range he can combo into badlands loop he could already combo into EXE loop to knockdown and crow with similar damage. The big difference is that he's going to have a harder to land crow, and that there's a chance the fish will stay out and stop him from advancing. Overall, that's a better trade. Basically, I think this match is very similar to the Slash matchup except Dizzy is more scary when she gets the knockdown and Testament is less scary. Dizzy needs to keep moving and disarming and Testament needs to play more offensively - I'm still saying 5-5 Also japs say 5-5 :v:

Also japs say 5-5 :v:

T'is true. Good stuff Nehle. :)

Testy needs to be especially weary of FB bubble due to the fact that it exposes all of his traps on pop that are in the area.

Scenario time:

Testy gets Master of Puppets off. Does his usual trap set ups for poison forest and skeleton nets. Now, a smart Dizzy should take advantage and throw FB bubble whenever oppertunity presents itself. If it helps (and I'd say so), throw fish first, then advance with (EX. an airstring to FB bubble or possibly FB bubble, IAD j.2s) or something involving FB bubble that will make it pop. Now, since the pop is half a screen, obviously your risk will have paid off, even on block. FB bubble gave you blockstun, AND set off all of Testy's traps. Those traps are a LARGE part of his game, especially MoP ones.

I'd say Dizzy could REALLY frustrate Testy with that.

Fish staying out regardless is most deff. a plus. Helps her mixups greatly IMO, and gives her a bit more time to breath I'd say.

Just my rambles. :)

That's not a very likely scenario :eng101: A testament with dolls is hardly likely to spam powered-up traps, he wants to make sure they can be used in combos / will land, especially since webs are much better now (unmashable). So more likely he'll plant one trap at a time and then try to force you into it (either baiting you with a blockstring that leaves him wide open just on top of a tree, hoping you'll try to counter him, trying throw you into them etc) until he gets to combo them on you and then it'll hurt :( I forgot to add to my point above that Testament doesn't need tension (except the FRC) to do the BL loop, and he did need tension to EXE loop in Slash, so that's an advantage for him for sure. But I do believe j2S is going to be very effective at disarming webs around. A superjump airdash j2S should be able to disarm most of his crap, but beware of Testa trying jump after you for the kill. If he lands a CH j.D then it's game over :(

A smart Testament player isn't going to lay down each of his doll'd HITOMI at once, since getting struck would trigger them all at once, wasting them. As Nehle pointed out, "one at a time" is the likely approach. ... This is, of course, assuming that powered-up HITOMI act like normal HITOMI and are triggered when Testament is hit with an attack. Can't remember if they work the same. How does Dizzy stand up to Jam? Jam's corner strings involving Force Break 'Puffball' and her stupid-fuck Wall Stick punch are moronic. That shit takes off 75% on normal characters, if Jam has at least 75% of her Tension bar full. Don't even want to see what it would do to Chipp, Millia, Baiken, and Dizzy.

A smart Testament player isn't going to lay down each of his doll'd HITOMI at once, since getting struck would trigger them all at once, wasting them. As Nehle pointed out, "one at a time" is the likely approach.

... This is, of course, assuming that powered-up HITOMI act like normal HITOMI and are triggered when Testament is hit with an attack. Can't remember if they work the same.

It doesn't disappear when Tesu's hit, so you'll either have to wait it out (601F) or disarm it.

How does Dizzy stand up to Jam? Jam's corner strings involving Force Break 'Puffball' and her stupid-fuck Wall Stick punch are moronic. That shit takes off 75% on normal characters, if Jam has at least 75% of her Tension bar full. Don't even want to see what it would do to Chipp, Millia, Baiken, and Dizzy.

I haven't played Jam that much, so don't hold me too much to this, but I do believe Dizzy has about an even chance against Jam. Generally, parrying won't do much for Jam against fish pressure (it's just her way of signaling "throw me" :kitty:)

I believe I remember 2S taking pretty much any air attack Jam can throw at you except for upside-down srk and legs on fire. Likewise, it's pretty easy to stop her hyappu-bullshit. If Jam DOES land anything Dizzy dies pretty easily though, and Jam dominates Dizzy in air-to-air. I can't find anything that beats her j.S clean, at the very best it's a trade and Jam j.S CH definitely puts her in a better position then whatever dizzy managed to land (probably j.K) and from there she can probably kill/dizzy you pretty easy.

That wall stick-shit is not so much about health as it is about Dizzy being dizzied almost guaranteed though.

Well in my "scenario", I was assuming that not all of the dolls were laid. The average Testy will lay one of each(though I've seen two nets and one hitomi sometimes) as only two of each are allowed out at a time. Even if that's not the entire stock they have, FB bubble could frustrate a Testament into having to lay them all over again should it be popped in the area of the traps. Really, it's like a "reset" on Testy's setup options because they'll have to plant them again. :) And Jam is retard. No joke. It's not pretty when she catches the paper thin crowd in that mess. :MI::DI::BA::CH::vbang:

Well, a major problem now is that Testament can connect Master of Puppets after a Badlands Loop. And everybody knows how easy it is to get off a Badlands Loop, as well as the easy Tension gain that it gives. Testament can afford to reset his doll'd traps more easily now, if need be. There are other good uses for his Tension, of course, but yeah.

uh have you guys actually played against a real Jam? Jam gets on top of you in no time flat ON THE GROUND, her anti-airs are major problems for Dizzy (early j2S might help a bit but you're still looking at a wide variety of amazing anti-airs that all feed into major damage, plus early j2S is parry-bait) especially since her ground moves are better for the most part, and Dizzy doesn't really have a way to get Jam off her once Jam gets within her 5K range. The problem with defending against Jam is that FD/IB only does so much against a Jam frame trap. The damage isn't even the problem, the problem is that Jam gets huge initiative off any combo and there's not much Dizzy can do to stop Jam from having her way once Jam gets close. You either get knocked down or put into some vicious Jam tech trap any time you get combo'd, which could potentially mean you lose that round outright. I don't think it's hopeless for Dizzy, no matchup is hopeless, but really it's not a good look. Dizzy has hope, of course- you can easily modify fish pressure to let you safely 2K before the first bite/lazer hits so she can't parry it and then force her to block, or just space yourself so her parry -> attack hits the fish. You can of course deal with burst rush spam, which wasn't a good tactic to begin with but the rewards are so high now that people do it... still you can throw her out of it or CH 2H on reaction, boom dead Jam. And of course simple things like f.S against bad IADs, airthrowing her out of some hijinks, well timed 2S against some of her moves, etc. So definitely not hopeless and really no worse than it's ever been. Maybe even a bit better for Dizzy in terms of actually matching up because of Jam's reduced 2S and 2D range.

Jam's 5K ticks are stupidly annoying. The force you to go on the defensive, since they tend to beat out most normals, and you can't just block all day or she'll tick throw you. She has too many ways of Wall Sticking [from mid-screen, even]. It's ridiculous to watch her basically win the match by connecting with a card'd 236K.

any input for Jhonny match Up? i just can't find good timming to counter his j.k , J.hs and Killer Joker with 2s and seeing the Dizzy AC guide frame data should i abuse 6p on this case instead of 2s for it upper body invulnerability?... i need to switch with Bri on this match up T-T

@excelence my Friend uses Johnny and I only beat him because I recgonize his play style so i adapt to it. All i can tell you is just to stay defensive and wait for openings to fly away. Then throw projectiles from a distance and proceed foward. then back off again and try again. the only thing i can think of or i use is down slash as the anti-air against mostly any air attack. if anything you should block it just in case. Johnny's j.hs does come out pretty fast before you can time down slash.

instead of me recognize my friend gameplay... i thought he read my moves >.<... i'll try to be more patient and IBing like mad... this is the worse match up for me so far(Ky,Sol,Pot -> Easy.Tes,Slayer,Eddie -> Fair. Zappa -> weird matchup >.<)... next week i'll go against Baiken... and i think she'll slay my Dizzy on remembering in Slash i need to switch with Jam

Slayer

Alright played some more Slayer today. Holy fuck this matchup is way worse than I thought.

Slayer has just about a ton of new options to close in on dizzy fast and basically punish any form of dry summoning you ever do. His 2S is retardedly good at anti-airing most things you throw at him. He can do exceptional damage from random pokes and if he lands his superman super then it's guaranteed death (428dmg combo).

Dizzys hope in this matchup is just trying to keep safe, far away and luring Slayer into doing mistakes while chasing her, while still on no accounts making mistakes herself (like, dry summon, trying to rush in without good and well-planned backup, or falling for CH baits). Once you get a knockdown proceed with safe pressure and always have fish out to cover you from nastiness.

If he gets you in the corner don't even think about punishing what may appear as a gap in his pressure (except MAYBE with the occasional random hole). Block it out and superjump away.

This is a very boring way to play, unfortunately, but it's that or playing the wrong part in an instakill-combovid.

I'm going to give this a 5.5 to slayer because if Dizzy actually does manage to begin her keepaway bullshit it's a long and risky road for Slayer to try to get in on her, but getting to that point is no way near easy.

Potemkin:

Just thought I'd add that if you block 6HS you will have just enough time to begin a forward dash and thus punish his slidehead rather easily

Yes, I've discovered Slayer isn't any more Dizzy friendly than he was in Slash. Really, it revolves around getting projectile wall out, get some pokes, get out and repeat. No flashy stuff here, just down to the basics. Testy is still a pain in the ass as per usual. Damn BD bull that he's got. But luckily it's harder for him to catch her in it off throw, 6k like he can most others for some reason. Pot's slidehead still gets owned by 5s(f). <3 More to come. :toot:

any input on Axl match up?, he screw up my fish >.<, and Fighting Baiken isn't as hard as i imagine(yes i got beaten up... but she also fucked up eatting meaty fish on pressure, and got throw a lot like stupid :) )

One thing about playing Axl, is the you probably need to be in his face the whole match. If you don't then he probably has you beat. He can punk off your fish and poke you while summoning projectiles. I normally do rdp+S (if it comes down to it FB Bubble) from fullscreen as its the safest thing to allow me to approach Axl. If you do happen to score a knockdown, let the beasting begin. =) Oh yeah, try not to make any uncalled for jump-ins and air dashes that you're not ready to block. He'll get you if he's ready everytime.

Sign in to follow this