Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SolxBaiken

King of Fighters (TBA)

Fmf6MMu.jpg

Siliconera:

According to the page they’re currently looking for a game programmer with experience in console games, various development tools and middleware, a technical designer who can handle high-end graphics, and a CG designer who’ll work on 3D and high-end character models to go with character animations and more.

[...]“Indeed, a new installment in 3D in the KOF series is currently in preparation.” ---SNK correspondence

My body has been ready for this . . .

The question is: will this be a continuation of the main game (XIV) or the spin-off (Maximum Impact 3)? Considering that the producer for XII and XIII returned and has been working at SNK for awhile now, the former is most likely, however I've been aching for a new MI. Hopefully they'll at least be as creative with the roster as the MI series was, allowing people that would never see the light of day in a traditional KoF (Fio, Hanzo--even if he was "clone--, Richard) as well as the [even more unorthodox] new characters. Of course there are plenty of old characters I'd love to see return . . . but we all know of a few who are practically a shoe-in . . .

I have just two requests

1) Please don't be MI3

2) Please add Vanessa. 

Either way, hype for now KoF

1) Please don't be MI3

Maximum Impact 2 had its flaws but it was a solid entry, especially considering the crapfest the original was, and Regulation A just sold me even further on another installment, so I would open Maximum Impact 3 with open arms. Stylish Arts felt like the happy medium of traditional 2D and 3D sensibilities. At the very least I wouldn't want to lose any of the MI series original characters, and since it was essentially a Garou sequel, we got to see Rock!

I might actually die laughing if this turns out to be another pachinko game.

It's possible, but highly unlikely, given that they are looking for console programmers and people adept with middleware software; two things you don't particularly need with a pachislot game, especially an unannounced one that would most likely be almost exclusively arcade bound.

All that effort on those KoF XIII sprites, and they only get used in a single game. Oh well, hopefully the 3D will be well done.

But . . . they were used in XII too . . .

As much as I enjoy the general aesthetic of XII and XIII's sprites, they sounded very taxing and time consuming. That's not to say 3D will magically be better, but I think it will be easier to work with, especially considering the sprites for XII and XIII had 3D models anyways, they're just going to refine rather than convert. Again though, this may just be a "filler" game, and could be MI3 while they work on XIV in the background, shortening the gap in their release periods.

But . . . they were used in XII too . . .

As much as I enjoy the general aesthetic of XII and XIII's sprites, they sounded very taxing and time consuming. That's not to say 3D will magically be better, but I think it will be easier to work with, especially considering the sprites for XII and XIII had 3D models anyways, they're just going to refine rather than convert. Again though, this may just be a "filler" game, and could be MI3 while they work on XIV in the background, shortening the gap in their release periods.

That's right, I forget XII exists sometimes. I know that 3D saves times, and that sprites of that quality take forever and a half to create (and it gets harder every time resolution increases), but part of me is going to miss them when they're gone.

Again, what they're recruiting for would be over qualified for pachislot game, not to mention specifically seeking people who have worked on consoles. Also SNK has been pretty transparent on labeling positions for pachislot games, but there is no indication at all regarding as anything less than a real game.

What interest me is the focus on middleware programmers, do you think they'll be using an Unreal Engine as well? Maybe they turned to Capcom and will be using MT Frameworks :v:

That's right, I forget XII exists sometimes. I know that 3D saves times, and that sprites of that quality take forever and a half to create (and it gets harder every time resolution increases), but part of me is going to miss them when they're gone.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but it seems like it would be less work and require less money for them to make another five or six sprite-based characters than to retouch 30+ models and redesign their graphics engine from scratch.  Or maybe not.  I don't know...  Either way, it's kind of weird for the company that recycled the same sprites in a new game every year for over a decade to turn around and ditch their infinitely nicer and more expensive sprites after 1.5 games (yes, I'm counting XII as half a game).

I'd love it they made a Garou sequel, but I'm content with both KoF14 and MI3.

Now that there's a new Guilty Gear coming out, Last Blade 3 has jumped to the top of my list for most-wanted fighting game sequels that I half expect will never be made.

Again, we don't know if this new 3D KoF is a main entry title, it could just be a spin-off like the Maximum Impact series that is there to tide us over, retrieve fresh revenue, and allow more time for the 2D sprite making. Also keep in mind, XII and XIII's sprites ALREADY use 3D models in their construction, similar to how BlazBlue does their sprites, so I don't view them as "starting from scratch". Hells know SNK doesn't have the kind of bank to make careless risks. Also, it's not like SNK reused sprites because they were lazy, it was just most cost effective with a yearly generated series [on top of the numerous other titles they produced at the time], KoF introduced more original character than they ever had to, and as newer characters were made their sprites began to clash with the older ones [both points apply particularly strong to NEST arc].

Also, from the looks of the recruitment page, they are looking to do not just a PS3/360 but also PS4/X1.

We don't know anything at all given that the last time SNKP put up job listings with a similar description they promptly put out another Fatal Fury and SamSho pachislot.

Those listings specially stated they were for pachislot titles, this listing is far more direct than any other, and the specifically state in all the applicable jobs that they are looking for people with experience developing on consumer consoles [listing PS3/4, 360, and X1].

Again, we don't know if this new 3D KoF is a main entry title, it could just be a spin-off like the Maximum Impact series that is there to tide us over, retrieve fresh revenue, and allow more time for the 2D sprite making. Also keep in mind, XII and XIII's sprites ALREADY use 3D models in their construction, similar to how BlazBlue does their sprites, so I don't view them as "starting from scratch".

You're right, but I recall the models they created being fairly basic and unpolished, which would make sense since they were designed merely as aids to make producing the sprites easier and more cost-effective.  If they wanted to use those models in the games, I imagine a fair amount of touch-up work would be required, maybe even partial remodeling.

You could be on the money about this being a spin-off or some kind of side project, though.  It could be anything, really.  The job listings don't really give us enough to go off of beyond very broad speculation.

If this KOF isn't 2.5D, not interested at all.

If it will end up as "good" as the loltastic Maximum Impact series, I will keep on with GGXRD.

Game needs to have my boy Kensou(This days I dont even bother to play a team, just go in to 1v1 and kick ass with Kensou) and bring back my waifus Chizuru, Kasumi and maybe even Shermie.

And for the love of God, SNK: FIX THE DAMN COLLISION BOXES!

Other minor(and probably unlikely) wishes:

-Make a Team Maximum Impact with Alba, Soiree and that alien chick I forget.

-Team New Face. If Mature and Vice can return as ghost then so can they(prob. gonna be a DM, anyway).

-Retune HD(Im not childish enough to demand they remove it, especially since the swag combos was partly what attracted some of the FGC).

-GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE!

I just want Heidern, Heavy D!, Geese, Xiangfei, Eiji, and Gai Tendo to make a return in this next installment-- if there's one in the making...

--But, I'd be content with a Garou 2...

This probabl won't happen, but I'd love to see a NeoGeo Battle Coliseum 2!!! I still play the first NGBC to this day!!! Beef up to fighting system a bit, add more cameos, and I'm sold... The 360 version even had good netcode...

I actually want Kim's sons from Garou so that I don't have to play a charge Tae Kwon Do character. That's my only request since that everything else I would want will no doubt be included.

....the only charge of kim is [2]8 (the antiair), and one of his 2 sons uses the same imput for the same move (Jae Hoon)

He also had this slide attack in CvS2. I don't know, maybe I'm just too lazy to play a charge character. I still would like to see his sons playable again regardless.

This probabl won't happen, but I'd love to see a NeoGeo Battle Coliseum 2!!!

This would be pretty cool, actually.  The first NGBC wasn't a masterpiece, but I'd say it's among the most underrated fighters SNK has developed.  Plus there are more than enough characters left for them to include in a sequel.  I'd also be on board with SNK vs. Capcom 2.  A crossover fighter NOT made by Capcom would be such a refreshing change of pace...