Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SolxBaiken

King of Fighters (TBA)

He also had this slide attack in CvS2. I don't know, maybe I'm just too lazy to play a charge character. I still would like to see his sons playable again regardless.

His sons were cool too, so is here. I think that slide attack was a 3-part attack though, if it's the one i'm thinking of.

If it will end up as "good" as the loltastic Maximum Impact series, I will keep on with GGXRD.

Regulation A was damn good, and MI2 was a great fanservice bonanza (all those cameos as alt costumes!) even if it was very unbalanced. The MI series gets unfairly hated on because it arrived at a time when there was still bad blood between 2D and 3D fighting game fans, and because it introduced some rather lame character designs that no one cared about.

Street Fighter EX suffered a similar fate, except Arika's characters were really good.

"regulation A was damned good"

Eh... I'll just... no. NO.

Dear SNKP, please make a 2.5D game no more MI-like pieces of utter shit.

Honestly, MI is BARELY 3D to begin with. Sidestepping is slow, rigid (no braking the step and jerking around like in Tekken), and rarely used. It's only really good for dodging projectiles at long range. Jumping is also handled very much like in the 2D games.

The hate MI gets is definitely not unwarranted. It gets a lot of hate because it doesn't play like a KoF game. Like, at all. It might as well not even be called KoF. And you can say that it's a spinoff or whatever, but it's still a fighting game and it's still called King of Fighters. If 12 can't get a pass for being an Art of Fighting game, MI can't get a pass for being a bad version of Tekken that replaced the focus on juggles and replaced it with OTG's.

What the hell are you even talking about? MI doesn't play ANYTHING like Tekken. The movesets and physics are MUCH more in line with what we've come to expect from 2D fighters (I'm pretty sure Tekken doesn't have a parry button either). A more apt comparison would be Fate Unlimited/Codes, which actually does have some non-superficial similarities to MI. And XII = AoF wha?

By the same card, it could easily be said that XI "doesn't play like a KOF game" with its tag battles and smoother, SF-style inputs. Didn't stop it from being one of the best (if not THE best) entries in the series. What's wrong with a franchise taking major departures from the norm if it works?

>XI

>the best
>in a world where KOF98 and KOF98UM don't exist

Cool story, breh :v:

Meh, I'm still waiting for a traditional 2D KOF, even if they use 2.5D graphics. If SNK is smart enough and listens to the majority of the fans who ACTUALLY play KOF (AKA mexicans and asians, most of them hate the MI series), they will do it :kitty:

What the hell are you even talking about? MI doesn't play ANYTHING like Tekken. The movesets and physics are MUCH more in line with what we've come to expect from 2D fighters (I'm pretty sure Tekken doesn't have a parry button either). A more apt comparison would be Fate Unlimited/Codes, which actually does have some non-superficial similarities to MI. And XII = AoF wha?

By the same card, it could easily be said that XI "doesn't play like a KOF game" with its tag battles and smoother, SF-style inputs. Didn't stop it from being one of the best (if not THE best) entries in the series. What's wrong with a franchise taking major departures from the norm if it works?

The movesets and physics are nothing close to what the 2D games are. Literally nothing is close to 2D KoF. The movesets are replaced with lists of chains you have to memorize and you can't even use normals like you did in 2D KoF with normals chaining into command normals and the like. The only 2D game with movesets like this is Mortal Kombat. Almost everything else did just about everything completely differently. Also the juggling was closer to Tekken than it was any 2D fighter ever. The only difference is that a Tekken juggle keeps someone in the air where as a MI juggle keeps them on the ground (unless you're playing Ash), but you're still juggling them all the same. The OTG rules in MI are fucking ridiculous. And yes actually, Tekken does have a parry. It's called down/forward. It's a universal mechanic. Some characters even have additional parry commands.

Also if you think XI had smooth inputs I doubt you played the game for very long. The 03 input interpreter is strict as a mother fucker with very short cancel windows and very strict command buffers. It's easily one of the least smooth input interpreters to ever exist in a KoF game. Additionally, XI wasn't the first game to have tagging or a more active team based gameplay. Hell, you could say 98 had similar shit when your team would jump in and help you out. When they moved from 98 to Strikers it wasn't a huge departure from existing mechanics, and when they went from Strikers to tagging, that wasn't a huge departure either. I also have to question your knowledge of the KoF series if you think XI is "the best" when it's one of the least balanced, most broken, notoriously poorly designed games in the series. Confirm into tag stun 100% isn't fun, especially when you get shit like Oswald unblockable incoming on your next character into the same shit again. I've often noticed that people who say their favorite KoF is XI started playing KoF at XI or didn't play much of the other games. XI succeeds at being a better version of 03, but that's not saying much.

I don't get the XI hate, it was a really good game. It's in my top 5 for KOF. And no, 98UM is NOT on top of my top 5.

5 best KOF games to me (in order):

- 2002UM

- XI

- 98UM

And yes, before anyone starts, i've played 94-2003, XI-XIII, and the 2 MI games + imported MI2 Reg A (which wasn't too bad).

I don't get the XI hate

You have to understand, I'm in a way a KoF purist. I don't think XI is a bad game, I just don't like it and don't understand why it's as popular as it is with people who don't play the series much. The game has a lot of flaws and things that aren't designed well or were coded poorly (Duck King), and yet it's somehow a go to game for a lot of people. It's baffling. Your list is also pretty baffling to me but I don't feel like getting into it.

The reasons for my list, since it was said to be baffling:

- I liked the whole feeling and atmosphere of 2002UM, and it's the only KOF where my team did NOT have Kim in it (my team in that game was Shermie, Blue Mary, and Hinako).

- I'd say 99 is partially because it was my introduction to KOF (though I had played Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting and etc before), but I also just really enjoyed the fight with Krizalid and the whole scene of him getting crushed.

- It took a little bit actually for me to get this one, but a friend of mine told me I should go back for it, and I wasn't disappointed. It was a lot of fun with some of the team mechanics and the tag system, and I enjoyed the abundance of characters in the game, and Oswald is love, Oswald is life.

- I like 98UM, but I feel like people ride this game's dick too much. It was a fun game, sure, but it never wowed me like 2002UM did, and I found it far less fun to play. Any time I played 98UM over 2002UM, it was for the characters not in 2002UM.

- This one was mostly just a "I need to fill out the top 5" pick, but I played this one a bunch with friends and had a lot of fun with it.

KOFXI was pure excellence.  It's like SNK looked at the gameplay in MVC2 and said, "What if we did something like that, but NOT horribly broken?"  Classic KOF or not, the game's a blast.

Yep, but the majority of old school kof fans aren't marvel fans. I never saw the idea of "let's turn it closer to marvel" beeing accepted, be it assists or changing characters mid match. While the series did change a lot with time, 98 was the one that smoothed things better from different versions. Not only it have old version of characters, but it have the "extra groove" for 95 style (step style dash, dodge instead of roll, charge special meter).

Yep, but the majority of old school kof fans aren't marvel fans. I never saw the idea of "let's turn it closer to marvel" beeing accepted, be it assists or changing characters mid match. While the series did change a lot with time, 98 was the one that smoothed things better from different versions. Not only it have old version of characters, but it have the "extra groove" for 95 style (step style dash, dodge instead of roll, charge special meter).

This man knows what's up. Rest of you, step aside :kitty:

but... yeaaaah, 2.5D please. And to be honest, I wish KOF would stop being so cancel-centric and be more basic, like 98.

That was a horribly elitist thing to say. I don't care for Marvel either, and want games to stay very far away from it, but I get treated like some casual because I didn't enjoy 98UM as if it were my god.

I almost hope it's entirely 3D like MI now, just to spite you. Also, don't drag down fighters asking for them to be simplified (oh, i'm sorry, "more basic").

rolf, it having nothing to do with elitism, i myself play more 99 than 98 . It's normal to ad new elements to attract a new group of players, but you have to balance it to not turn the old players away. It need to have part of the mechanics that maked the game...beeing the game for them.

Or else, it only make them felt baited into playing something that isn't the same core game. And then, this group will spread a negative image forever about this version.

KOFXI was pure excellence. It's like SNK looked at the gameplay in MVC2 and said, "What if we did something like that, but NOT horribly broken?"

And then it ended up being horribly broken anyways.

I liked XI, but it's far from being "excellence". At least we can say it doesn't reach the levels of shiftiness that Eolith KOF games have (yes, I'm also including vanilla 2002, 2002UM is a different matter).

I don't have the energy to address everything written since my last post, but 98UM Vanilla shouldn't be on the top of anyone's list because Krauser is ridiculously cheap, and was used in practically every JP tourney team. He's like Sagat on steroids, and that's a character already notorious for cheese. They suitably nerfed Krauser for Final Edition, but there's no way to play that without a NESiCA cabinet in Japan.

Sure, XI has its prominent S Tier in Gato/Kula/Oswald, but none of them are so broken as to be a massive uphill battle for the entire rest of the cast. This is a pretty good assessment of XI's strengths and how it compares to its predecessors.

Also, the option to select either the Advanced or Extra meter was introduced in 97, but I guess everyone acts like 98 had it first because it's the most popular KOF.

For the record, my personal Top 5 goes like this: XI > 02UM > 98 > XIII > 95.

I don't have the energy to address everything written since my last post, but 98UM Vanilla shouldn't be on the top of anyone's list because Krauser is ridiculously cheap, and was used in practically every JP tourney team. He's like Sagat on steroids, and that's a character already notorious for cheese. They suitably nerfed Krauser for Final Edition, but there's no way to play that without a NESiCA cabinet in Japan.

Sure, XI has its prominent S Tier in Gato/Kula/Oswald, but none of them are so broken as to be a massive uphill battle for the entire rest of the cast. This is a pretty good assessment of XI's strengths and how it compares to its predecessors.

Also, the option to select either the Advanced or Extra meter was introduced in 97, but I guess everyone acts like 98 had it first because it's the most popular KOF.

For the record, my personal Top 5 goes like this: XI > 02UM > 98 > XIII > 95.

Krauser was a clear top tier but it's not like he's the only top tier in the game. And the rest of the cast can still compete, because the tiers are condensed. The top tier is the top tier, but everyone else is fine. Besides, most people play vanilla 98 anyways. I don't think anyone would argue that 98UM should replace vanilla.

Additionally, one game having problems doesn't excuse another game from having WORSE problems. Krauser is an oppressive top tier, but 98UM doesn't have nearly as many problems that XI has. At least Krauser can't tag out in the middle of a super to another character to continue a combo and get a stun into 80%+ damage off of a standard BnB. At least Kim doesn't become a stronger character when you're on the player 2 side. At least 98UM will do a DP when you input a DP even if you end the input in forward. That's not even getting into physics and jumps and rolls, which to be fair is preference and opinion, but XI is a god damn mess.

SNK registers "KOF Maximum Impact"

https://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/503825877700845569

https://twitter.com/styleos/status/504005299733536768

mmmm personally i think a Maximun impact game is still much better than mobile shit or pachinko shit, so it would make me extremelly happy if they finally decide to make a new MI

Hmm, if this does indeed happen for (or to be) another MI, they better bring the Hype MI (also vanilla Phantom Breaker) Announcer back! :kitty:

There were plans for a Maximum Impact 3 on PS3/360 that fell through, which came after Regulation A2 was already canceled. I wonder how much of that project is going to carry over.

This new KOF might not have any connection to MI and they could just be renewing their trademark in the wake of the High Score Girl legal fiasco, though.

Also, SNKP decided to celebrate KOF's 20th anniversary by...temporarily dropping all their smartphone games to $1.00 a piece. Whoop-dee-doo.