Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cyanprime

3rd Party PS3 Controllers? [previously "Hori Gem Pad 3?"]

Edit: I'm going to reporpose this thread as a general discussion for 3rd party controllers for PS3. I hope that's okay with the staff.

So I bought a Hori Gem Pad 3, and I kinda like it. It's wired so I can use it at tournaments, and the D-Pad seems alright. Basically on the same scale as the DualShock 3 anyway.

I'm wondering though, cause I can't tell if I'm messing up, or if it's the controller. Hori is a great brand, right? They make the top arcade sticks, so I figured their Gem Pad would be the same quallity, and it feels like it is, but can anyone else confirm if the Gem PAd 3's D-Pad is at least as good as the Dual Shock 3?

Hori makes some good stuff and some...less good stuff.  (Kinda like Madcatz in that regard).  I wouldn't judge any individual product by their name alone.  That said, messing around in training mode with inputs on should show you fairly quickly whether the pad is doing what you think you are doing.

Hori isn't the greatest brand, but it's highly unlikely that there's anything "wrong" with the D-Pad. It might not be responding the way you're used to, or it might be a little muddy or require more force for diagonals, but it all comes down to your own personal comfort and which controller gives you better accuracy. Personally, I've never found any replacement for the Dualshock 2.

Hori isn't the greatest brand, but it's highly unlikely that there's anything "wrong" with the D-Pad. It might not be responding the way you're used to, or it might be a little muddy or require more force for diagonals, but it all comes down to your own personal comfort and which controller gives you better accuracy. Personally, I've never found any replacement for the Dualshock 2.

For me, regarding inputs and execution the DS3 is better than DS2, but the DS2 is more durable and has less input lag.

I recently got a gem pad. I find the dpad a little stiff. 236236 and 214214 motions don't seem to come out very reliably for me. I don't know if it's the pad or just a practice issue.

Get a Sega Saturn controller. The dpad is really light and accurate. 

Yeah, reguarding the Hori GemPad, The pad isn't too great. After I went back to the Dual Shock 3 everythign got so much easier to do in fighters.

-----------------------------------------------------------
[Note that this thread has been repurposed to a PS3 3rd party conroller general at this point]

So I just found a pre-owned PS3 Mini Pro EX Wired Controller by Power A for 16 at gamestop.

Seems to be in great condition, and is actually really nice to use for fighters. I did some tests doing Dragon Punches in Guilty Gear +R with Sol, and then in P4U I did some combos with Yu and it handled nicely. I prefer the placement of the pad being like a Xbox or GCN controler too, so that was a plus for me. It's pink, but eh.

Does anyone else have any expirence with this type of controller, or any others by Power A? Cause they seem like a really good brand. I also tried out the Elite Mini Wireless on Wii U, and that was the best controller I've ever held.