Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Josh Ballard

Danzai Punishing 101

Alright, people, I'm stick and tired of getting away with this move, and a lot of characters can really hurt her in ways I never see you do. With that in mind, here's how it's done!

General Rules:

- The most practical way to punish Danzai is to use a fast (up to 8-9 frames) or invincible move in between the two hits. If you block both hits, she seems unsafe from the frame data, but she pushes you back too far to punish with normals.

- The gap in between the two hits appears to be the same for both versions of Danzai.

- For most characters, the absolute best way to punish Danzai is to slashback the 2nd hit, allowing you to follow up with any dash-in combo. It's quite a bit harder than the above method (though still doable with practice), and I would only say it's a must with a few characters.

- If the Danzai is performed from close to its max range, most fast normals won't reach her, and DPs tend to clash or outright whiff.

- ABA is in counter-hit state during Danzai, so punishing her in between the two hits allows for some things you couldn't normally do.

And now, here is a list of the most useful punishes with each character! Since slashback is a generic solution, I'm only listing moves that hit her during the gap.

Sol:

Grand Viper! Yes, this is always guaranteed, no matter how far she is. He can also Volcanic Viper, Tyrant Rave, or Fafnir (very range-specific), but Grand Viper is one of the best Danzai punishes, period.

Ky:

Ride the Lightning always works, DP works at close range. His sweep can punish at close range (worth doing when you can combo into Sacred Edge), and at long range it will trade. The latter is both a good and bad thing, since it's a knockdown but she gets to pressure you on wakeup.

Millia:

Roll through the 2nd hit and combo her ass. There's also the angel super, but that seems kinda pointless to me.

May:

The most reliable one is the slide. If she used the Danzai right next to you, however, you can do something a million times scarier: c.S-2D-FB Dolphin, etc. Also worth remembering is the whale super, which is the only thing that works from max range. She is one of the characters who benefits a lot from slashback here, as it gives her free command grabs.

Axl:

You'll mainly be using the counters. If you have meter then you want 623P into the force break, but with no meter 214P works just fine and leads to a knockdown combo. This is also one of the few situations where the flame super is actually very good: Over 1/3 life plus knockdown.

Potemkin:

Pot Buster, baby. If she's at max range, then you'll have to settle for Hammerfall or the mirror super...how sad, I know. Actually, you might be able to Hammerfall Break into Pot Buster anyway (not 100% sure of this, though).

Faust:

One of the few punishes I actually see Americans doing consistently: Dust! Scalpel super is pretty good as well, since it's a knockdown.

Eddie:

Not a whole lot, honestly. At very close range you can 2P-2D, and there's the super that doesn't even knock down. He's one of the characters who gains a ton from slashback here.

Chipp:

DP is the safe bet. Up close, a lot of his normals work, leading to various combos. And there's that super that does like 500 hits.

Baiken:

Counters, obviously! I like the kick one myself, since you get sweep -> tatami etc. And, of course, the slashing super works if you need easy damage.

Testament:

2H-2D-Badlands (does OTG exe beast hit?). The counter and both supers also work.

Anji:

Autoguards & HS Fuujin.

Venom:

He probably needs slashback the most of anyone. Without it, pretty much all he has is sweep, and even that merely trades from a distance.

Jam:

Parry the 2nd hit and go to town. There's also the supers, not sure how useful they are though. And I wonder if you could FB puffball or even do the crossup one...

Johnny:

The most reliable ones are 2H and the super. Up close, you can 2P-2D, or c.S-5H-level 2/3 Mist Finer stuff.

Dizzy:

5K-5H-Icespike from close range, or just 5K-Icespike from farther away. The unblockable super is also effective.

Bridget:

The most consistent punishes are sweep and the twirling yoyo super. If you have the yoyo close to ABA, the flaming bear super becomes the best option. Starship can be used if you really need that last bit of tensionless damage. Another character who is helped out by slashback.

I-no:

Up close, you can combo 2S-5H-Chemical Love. There's also the ground super.

Zappa:

In normal mode, you obviously want to summon. The sword has the DP, which I think might knock down since it's a CH. The dog can attack during blockstun, of course. The ghosts are kinda screwed, as all you have are little chains that only work at close range. And Raoh's got the uber-DP. Oh yeah, there's also that super that gets rid of summons. I think that about covers it. =)

Slayer:

Bar none, the best character at punishing Danzai. With no tension, you can forward dash through the 2nd hit and combo with 5H-command grab, 2K-2D. At 25% tension, you get free Big Bang Uppers. And best of all, at 50% tension...COUNTER-HIT DEAD ON TIME. One of several reasons ABA is forced to play a more patient game in this matchup.

Robo-Ky:

5H, mainly. DP super is sometimes good up close. The punching super also hits her, but you have to time it early; the move doesn't have invincibility, it's just really fast.

Order Sol:

You can actually Gunblaze her up close, but from farther away it gets stuffed. Fafnir always works, as do the supers. Also, when close, you can sweep if you really need that last knockdown.

A.B.A.:

The answer should already have occurred to you: Danzai her back! =P

That's about it for my guide. If I missed any other useful moves, please let me know and I'll edit this post!

Also 6K for Anji if you want to be flashy. Good list, people srsly need to know this or else ABA gets away with too much. I know I did when I first picked her up, and it fucked me over when I would play people who did punish Danzai. It's important I think esp for new ABAs not to learn to rely on Danzai as a crutch. It's really fucking good, esp with the dmgs you get, but it's still an SRK, and as such, should be punished (nearly) EVERY TIME.

I actually referred some my casual playing friends to this thread since they bitch about Danzai (and playing my Aba in general). I figured it would be mutually beneficial if they learned to punish. Not that I really have a problem with over using it. I've actually been told on a couple of occasions by good players that I need to throw it out more. <_<

Should list that if there's a fish out for Dizzy, most combo strings will last long enough to punish Danzai. As an added bonus, normally you'll build enough guard bar to have the last hit be a CH, which leads to nice comboes.

Johnny: After blocking 1st hit: 2HS - Blocking or IBing at far range, trades with 2nd hit. Closer will beat. No knockdown with out 50%. 2S - Beats on far instant block. Trades on normal far block. No knockdown with out Lv2MF. Close block - you get whatever you want, can even walk forward past the 2nd hit. Super - will beat, but ABA also has the option of counter-supering with Goku Moroha. After blocking 2nd hit: f.S - will whiff on a far block. With 25% combo to MSJH,P-K-2D for a maybe-knockdown. Venom: After blocking 1st hit: Close block - you get whatever you want, can even walk forward past the 2nd hit. Mid range block - sweep far~max range block - 2S After blocking 2nd hit: Close to Mid range block - Sweep or 2S Far range - you probably could get a stinger aim if you didn't lose your charge on IB. Gotta SB. Shrug, free ball set? edit: Testament always gets a free warrant between the two hits. Well, free aside from random Goku Moroha super and RC.

Johnny:

After blocking 1st hit:

2HS - Blocking or IBing at far range, trades with 2nd hit. Closer will beat. No knockdown with out 50%.

2S - Beats on far instant block. Trades on normal far block. No knockdown with out Lv2MF.

Close block - you get whatever you want, can even walk forward past the 2nd hit.

Super - will beat, but ABA also has the option of counter-supering with Goku Moroha.

After blocking 2nd hit:

f.S - will whiff on a far block. With 25% combo to MSJH,P-K-2D for a maybe-knockdown.

6K between hits also works really well.

also, you get a CH 5Sf if you tap it between hits. you can get some damaging CH 5Sf, 6H combos going.

Except 6K sucks on counterhit. Though I don't thing 6K would hit on CH in this case. Regardless, if you could 6K, then you could 5K and chain to knockdown. Good catch on the f.S, I always forget about that. I always go for the 5K anyways. Save whatever meter you would of spent on the f.S-6HS combo for knockdowns off of other random hits. Johnny wins this fight more off the knockdown then he does off teh fat combos.

Another thing people need to know is that it's necessary to pressure ABA with jump cancelable shit. If you do this, then you can jc and FD when you see that she's swingin her key through your moves. If you're icy you can still SB the 2nd hit and get a good punish regardless of who you play.

With zappa, he has tons of shit he can do.

After blocking the first hit, dash summon wins (Needs to be instant block though).

With ghosts, he can anticipate it and do 236P FRC.

Sword is iffy but DP is about his best option.

With dog, he can just rush that shit and flat out beat it. He can even beat FB summon by comboing with the dog until he gets hit and just keep hitting her.

Raou, Block, EDGUY. Simple!