Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tecta1Eastside

[P4AU] Labrys Critique Thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtM6hFO5i-k&list=UUSWFwW7yDCCwwajY97IaZ3w

I'm a scrubby Labrys so here's my day 1 or slight day 2 performance. I have yet to give up on Risette but I'll return to her later on in the future. I'm providing another video a day or two from now with my friends Margaret so look forward to that one as well, excuse my scrubbiness but that's like day 1 for most folks.

;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7-SVEjqQYU&feature=youtu.be

This happened all in the same day against my other friend who is learning Margaret so please enjoy this video as well. I have no combo video experience and hardly any lab so I plan to practice after this week...after a little bit more Destiny.

If you are having issues with her combos, the very 1st cmv in the video thread goes through her basic combos. You should be using sweep > 22B more outside of yellow/red axe. Labrys AoA is not a solid mixup. 214A(1) > omc > 2A is a solid mixup. Her DP is very unsafe as well. There isn't a good reason to use it on defense vs Kanji/Margaret. J.B is risky as an approach too. Its not hard to 2B Labrys j.B. 2A is really good for stagger pressure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d00D1BkvYVQ&feature=youtu.be

I'll browse the combo video this weekend but here's an old video of my first online experience with Labrys, very promising indeed but there's plenty more I can work with. Spear oki made a slight difference so I'll apply it some more, you guys haven't seen my latest matches...well maybe some who keep up with my stream.

Better late than never.

You play a fine Labrys, so by just playing/learning her at your own pace, you should turn out good.

Personally, I wouldn't use Brutal Impact (214214A/B) unless I got the opponent trapped in a corner. Realisticly, most people can super cancel or even dash right through you even after hitting it. But hey! If they are predictable & it works, use it!  ( 'v')/

However, what can be good for you is Labrys's Chain Knuckle (236A/B). If your opponent isn't jump happy, you should use it more often. The Skill boost version of it makes you invincible to projectiles, so err... for example, agaisnt that Yukiko you were playing, you can practically get a free Fatal hit if she's spewing fans & flames all day! Woot!

But then you should learn a couple of Chain Knuckle Fatal combos.

Hmm, that's all from me!

Here are the uploads of some of my recent matches I've done online, I haven't gotten a chance to record my locals which will mostly be Kanji, Naoto, Adachi and P.Sho matches

I ate a ton of reversals from S.Lab trying to see if I was able to react with my own only to fail every atempt, and I can often be reckless to see how my opponent will react to my shennanigans just to give a heads up on things I do that don't make sense

(Part 1) http://youtu.be/YrXK0OFiTrw

(Part 2) http://youtu.be/jhjPWZliPiI

aside from combo drops and not confirming CH, you give up pressure and advantage really quickly/easily. a lot of your pressure situations look like 2A > 5B > guillotine axe/sweep. from 2A she can do abit more than that with things like 2A frametraps, 2A tick grab, 2A charged 5B, 2A > 5A, 5B dash cancel and etc. same goes for 5A which can lead to similar options.

as for advantage on knockdown you go for some unsafe options/giving it up entirely. for the most part her setplay is going to look like meaty,  roll and block. doing say a far confirm sweep > tsurugi into iabd as a bait isn't so great since not only are you giving up your advantage, you're making it harder on yourself to punish whatever it is you're baiting. just blocking in that situation or dash block is fine(though dash block loses to some metered reversals)

outside of that everythings fine. you seem to have the jist for what she should be doing and the muscle memory for the kinda new combo routes will come with playing more.

the bit at 5:50 in the first one had me rolling

Anyway, you have the right ideas, but you could use a bit more work on your pressure strings and general hit-confirms. Defense can be improved just by being willing to block more and then your reaction time will get better and you'll be able to answer things much much easier. 5A/Sweep meaty after sweep>22A/B will lend you a lot more pressure if you're willing to risk the DP, cause they're not gonna DP 100% of the time. 5AA>5B stagger and 5AA>5AAA stagger is actually pretty strong in certain matchups (5AAA stagger really strong vs. Margaret cause you OS her DP). You honestly DP too much but it's not thaaaaaat bad considering that you still don't do it that much in comparison to others I've seen. In neutral I noticed you're jumping a lot and limiting your answers to other buttons, so I'd practice your ground spacing and get comfortable with it so that you can make them respect you.

Vs. Shabrys in particular what I noticed you do at one point is 5B>236D from hitting the persona. Now that's not too bad but Shab can come in and put you in pressure if she's waiting for it. So a strategy I like to use is a lot of 5B>backdash in neutral, hitting the persona and backing off. You keep her persona blocking or broken while you get to move in at your own pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIf6byIvWvc&list=UUSWFwW7yDCCwwajY97IaZ3w

Part 3 of me just mashing with Labrys, there's obvious improvement compared to my first play through with the character but there's so much that I can learn. Hopefully I can still get advice from everyone and be ready for EVO next year. I like to provide a super improvement in my performance but due to the military taking up most of my time you'll only see gradual improvement but when I'm settled you'll get to experience some sexy red axe combos or pretty amazing set-ups.

http://www.twitch.tv/sadeyo/b/584019741

Most likely my last video with Japan/Korea since I'm leaving the Pacific at the end of the month. No matter how well I performed I had these opponents run it back with their retarded characters by after my 20th loss in a row I knew it was about time I have a tier whore as a sub, look forward to them in the future when I'm back in the states and don't hesitate to call me out for matches (as long as the connection is good).

On another note, this like an hour of half worth of game play against yellows and reds and possibly some of JP best players so enjoy every moment and feel free to critique if you want. I'll continue to support the Steel President till the end so she's not dumped, you'll get more of her as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldK69mThFXI&feature=youtu.be

Wow, was November really the last time I played this character or actually provided an upload of her? I was still overseas during that. Here's me against some US competition and not much changed from my basic approach. I seriously want to be a threat with her and possibly two other characters but I have to learn one. Thanks for critiquing if anyone does that or just enjoy the show.

I gave a rundown in the Labrys Skype chat, so I'm basically going to abridge what I said there:

Optimal combos:

-you had a lot of situations where you would get the hit and would even convert properly but just went for the wrong combo, along with situations where you tried to standing reset with 214A instead of just going into string/sword oki, from which you can get much stronger mixup options. Your OMB confirms specifically were where the problem really arose

-Any conversion into 2B near corner should go into j.2B>j.BB>j.C>j.214A/B for extra ezpz damage and axe level gain.

-OMB conversions for Labrys are really strong and she can convert off it easier than probably any other character in the game. Midscreen OMB confirms can usually just go for OMB>h5B>236B>6A>214A (6AB after the 236B instead if you have 25 SP) and either end the combo there or if you use 25 meter for the SB chain followup (6AB) you can followup with 2B>j.B>j.C>j.214A/B. Corner OMB combo for universal ezpz damage of most starters is just OMB>h5B>66(dash cancel)>2B>j.2B>j.BB>j.C>j.214A/B. Lot of kill situations you didn't get because your combo usage was lacking.

Pressure:

-your pressure was decent and you even implemented a bit of stagger which is a hurdle a lot of Labrys players come across when learning things but I'd advise using stuff like 5AA>5AA/Throw stuff more, as well as resetting pressure with various options like ending with sweep and restarting pressure with 2A afterwards if they're over-respecting, along with allowing for more throw situations. Oh yeah also the AoA is not a good bet. REALLY mean it. Not a good bet.

kinda hard to tell with your pressure vs the Yukari since you were mainly getting hits on them in neutral instead of really pressuring them

-arrow oki is really ezpz to get mixup off of, just do 5A>jump cancel for an easy mixup between j.B, delay airdash j.A/B, empty jump 2A, delay empty air dash 2A, or just go safely into pressure with a safe j.B afterwards. You can also meaty with 5B which will option select most DPs and certain ones like Narukami's will only reach if they do wakeup microdash DP. Sweep meaty also works if they seem the type to jump out a lot, as well as being + enough if they roll to 5A afterwards and beat any mash button after that isn't a DP. If you're point blank, you can also meaty throw which won't combo into the arrow but will be covered by it if they do anything but reversal to avoid the throw.

Neutral/Defense:

-You jump too much, wanna be on the ground more, especially vs characters like Minazuki with both really strong anti-airs and a really strong air-to-air game.

-Patience is key. A lot of hits in neutral you took were from you getting popped trying to go in too hard and it'll be much worse the better players you find. This also hurt you on defense, especially vs the Mitsuru, where you randomly took a lot of CHs. The Yukari and Minazuki didn't do extended pressure that well and that's why it didn't happen more but Mitsuru excels at that naturally and that's where it shows. Just be more patient in general, it'll go a long way. I'd DP a bit less than you did, but you didn't do it -that- much so it's not that bad. Dunno if that Brutal Impact was accidental or not, but it's really not recommended, -especially- the B version. Just straight up not good.

Hope this helps anyone who looks at the set, needs advice in general!