Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orrax

Minazuki Critique Thread

This thread is for posting your Minazuki for the purpose of garnering critiques from your fellow Minazuki players (or anyone, really). So, expect criticism.

Anyway, here's some footage of my Minazuki from a local tourney. I realize my Minazuki could use a fair amount of work, so any comments and critiques are appreciated:

Rath (Margaret) vs Orrax (Minazuki): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjjRPo_otmo#t=2257

Irrelevant Alex (Mitsuru) vs Orrax (Minazuki/Chie): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQ3uPgr5m8M#t=93

I'm still learning a lot of matchups, and I have no idea what to do with Minazuki against Mitsuru yet (which is why I switched characters, but I still lost). Mitsuru has always been one of my personal worst matchups.

more command grabs imo

especially in that first match, the margaret was being really respectful of your blockstrings

2A tick throw command grab would've blown her up

you threw the round 1 in 1st set against rath by autopiloting the abc rekka instead of dp c wave super to take the round

2nd set round 2 you opt for air dp ender instead of getting damage while sitting on burst and 100 meter

3rd set round 3 ended pretty sadly where you autopiloted rekka rc 2a and lost to super mash, personally i wouldve blew 50 meter on the 2aaa confirm with c wave super just to get max damage before he's red bar

against alex, 1st set round 2 could've taken it if you did d wave super after command throw, and you could've taken it again if you did d wave super there too since he screwed up his roll, you were definitely more aware of your meter this set though 

overall you need to learn to spend meter and burst on combos, also b rekka 2nd hit is pretty safe to throw out since its only -1 and you can jump or air dp anti air attempts and you can do ghetto fireball cancel while youre still on the ground

you can fuck with mitsuru fullscreen by throwing out knives and 2d/j.2d and ex teleport when knife is right above her should stuff anti air attempts etc

more command grabs imo

especially in that first match, the margaret was being really respectful of your blockstrings

2A tick throw command grab would've blown her up

On the other hand all the command grab attempts got blown up the 1st round. Actually 1st round of the 1st match by a DP and the 2nd round after that by a super.

I guess those are just bad reads?

Thanks for the comments all. I definitely agree I need to improve my meter management and hit confirms, and I could certainly use some 2A/command grab mixups. I've been slowly trying to add more B rekka followup into my pressure game, but I could certainly use some more.

Posting my day 2 Minazuki.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-RLklrPXgU

Hmm, I don't know how much I can say when you're only day 2, but I watched a few matches. 

I'm seeing a bit too much AoA for my liking. In my opinion, Minazuki's AoA is too slow to be abused.

Same goes with teleport. You're doing quite a few, and you're risking getting fatal countered. More j.2D/2D, less teleport.

I'm also not sure why you're doing OMC 5D into teleport instead of the C Wave super.

In the matches I watched, I didn't notice any command grabs. I wasn't watching everything super closely, but... yeah, try to work those into your game a bit more.

watched 3 matches, mostly seemed lost about what to do in neutral, backed off alot against elizabeth but didnt try to pressure with anything really other than poorly timed teleports

learn more combos, how to use meter effectively, use more of the tools you have available to you, etc

ill probably post a list of combos i commonly use sometime later 

Hmm, I don't know how much I can say when you're only day 2, but I watched a few matches. 

I'm seeing a bit too much AoA for my liking. In my opinion, Minazuki's AoA is too slow to be abused.

Same goes with teleport. You're doing quite a few, and you're risking getting fatal countered. More j.2D/2D, less teleport.

I'm also not sure why you're doing OMC 5D into teleport instead of the C Wave super.

In the matches I watched, I didn't notice any command grabs. I wasn't watching everything super closely, but... yeah, try to work those into your game a bit more.

I knew I done too many teleports lol....but j.2D and 2D are good to throw out? Never had good results with that.

What route are you talking about with the C wave super instead of doing OMC 5D?

Yeah, no command grabs in the video, that is something I'm currently working on.

watched 3 matches, mostly seemed lost about what to do in neutral, backed off alot against elizabeth but didnt try to pressure with anything really other than poorly timed teleports

learn more combos, how to use meter effectively, use more of the tools you have available to you, etc

ill probably post a list of combos i commonly use sometime later 

Always been lost about what to do in nuetral, never been able to find ways on how to improve that. This applies to every fighting game I play >_<.

Elizabeth is a character that I have no clue to do against(might be from me maining Kanji from the start of P4A), so I'm usually cautious around her because of it.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice guys! Will work on more stuff!

I knew I done too many teleports lol....but j.2D and 2D are good to throw out? Never had good results with that.

What route are you talking about with the C wave super instead of doing OMC 5D?

Yeah, no command grabs in the video, that is something I'm currently working on.

Always been lost about what to do in nuetral, never been able to find ways on how to improve that. This applies to every fighting game I play >_<.

Elizabeth is a character that I have no clue to do against(might be from me maining Kanji from the start of P4A), so I'm usually cautious around her because of it.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice guys! Will work on more stuff!

canceling the second hit of the rekka into DP > 236236C

you can follow-up with dash 5B(1) and continue your combo, it nets you about 4K and is a much better meter investment than OMC 5D

Generally speaking, the farther away you are, the safer they are.

if it's a fullscreen situation, you're pretty much untouchable if you throw it out unless it's like narukami with a yomi ex slide

hell you can even throw out ex knife after it to auto pilot a fc confirm since the slow knife will catch them if they try to roll after blocking 2d

I see @drugtown.

So would 5B(1) < 2B < 214B < 4B < 4A, after the super work?

5B(1) > 5C > 214B > 4B > 4A is what i use

Generally speaking, the farther away you are, the safer they are.

I gotcha

if it's a fullscreen situation, you're pretty much untouchable if you throw it out unless it's like narukami with a yomi ex slide

hell you can even throw out ex knife after it to auto pilot a fc confirm since the slow knife will catch them if they try to roll after blocking 2d

How vulnerable is the persona if it's blocked?

5B(1) > 5C > 214B > 4B > 4A is what i use

We think alike, that's the combo I figured out in training mode lol. Was gonna check the combo thread to see if it was optimal.

Also found out you can do a 2AB if you're in the corner.

persona is vulnerable to getting broken but i mean he's rarely in the position to lose all 4 cards anyways

feel free to criticize me i can take it expect a lot of OMB tho it's time stamp so you don't have to look for it

Narukami w/ Margaret on the side having troubles with narukami so don't hold back dropping the bomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vQjph13_TU&list=UU4p-b36jjIELbJUCQ6mNwIg

Elizabeth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbAwQ_axucs&index=4&list=UU4p-b36jjIELbJUCQ6mNwIg

Liz agen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbAwQ_axucs&index=4&list=UU4p-b36jjIELbJUCQ6mNwIg

Junpei w/ yukiko in the sides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH-a5g_JvSA&list=UU4p-b36jjIELbJUCQ6mNwIg&index=7

feel free to criticize me i can take it expect a lot of OMB tho it's time stamp so you don't have to look for it

Narukami w/ Margaret on the side having troubles with narukami so don't hold back dropping the bomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vQjph13_TU&list=UU4p-b36jjIELbJUCQ6mNwIg

• First thing I notice is that your blockstrings are bad. First of all, don't chain to 5C on block. You can't jump cancel, it sucks. Stop at a B move and jump cancel if you want to be safe.
  • Secondly, 214A/214B is not safe on block! It is always better to do a followup 214B, because you have a ton of options off of that: Survival Knife, teleport, 4AB/4B, j.b, OMC, etcetera. 
  • General anime advice, at super jump height, don't waste your double jump when your opponent is underneath you unless it helps you get away. The threat of the double jump/air dash is what makes it harder to predict where you are going to land, so if you waste that people are just going to air unblockable you with 2B easily. Minazuki actually has 2 really good trump cards here with his downward air DP and his teleport, but still don't double jump above the opponent for no reason. This tendency of yours is actually a really big deal and you need to be more comfortable just falling to the ground and mixing up between j.b/air dash to make yourself more elusive.
  • If you are going to take the risk of a teleport, you need to convert off it. Just hit 5AA afterwards, you can always be safe later.
  • I don't think people have taught you the scrubby wonder that is Sho's j.b. It hits on the way up and on the way down. It gives you a full combo on air or ground CH. It's annoying to AA. If you don't know what button to hit, j.b is probably a good option.
  • Take Persona cards when you can! Hitting 5A against someone's Persona when they whiff an attack near you should just be something you automatically do.
  • Stop with the half-screen wakeup supers bro. Good players won't let you connect and OMC to safety.
  • You're losing combos because you're trying to do 5AA 2B, if you would just do 5AA 5B you'd be converting more consistently.
  • Against Narukami, 2B/DP his 214B Raging Lion. Otherwise you're going to be blocking all day.
  • 11:20, what the hell man. He whiffs a DP in front of you and you roll through him.
  • You get hit by every 214D OMC 2A the Narukami does except the last one. Expect it if he has meter. You can punish with 2B instead of 5A in order to hold down back in case he cancels (he will if he has meter).
  • Block the safe jumps, you don't have a choice. 214214A will beat some of them if you know the safe jump.

• First thing I notice is that your blockstrings are bad. First of all, don't chain to 5C on block. You can't jump cancel, it sucks. Stop at a B move and jump cancel if you want to be safe.
  • Secondly, 214A/214B is not safe on block! It is always better to do a followup 214B, because you have a ton of options off of that: Survival Knife, teleport, 4AB/4B, j.b, OMC, etcetera.
  • General anime advice, at super jump height, don't waste your double jump when your opponent is underneath you unless it helps you get away. The threat of the double jump/air dash is what makes it harder to predict where you are going to land, so if you waste that people are just going to air unblockable you with 2B easily. Minazuki actually has 2 really good trump cards here with his downward air DP and his teleport, but still don't double jump above the opponent for no reason. This tendency of yours is actually a really big deal and you need to be more comfortable just falling to the ground and mixing up between j.b/air dash to

make yourself more elusive.

• If you are going to take the risk of a teleport, you need to convert off it. Just hit 5AA afterwards, you can always be safe later.
  • I don't think people have taught you the scrubby wonder that is Sho's j.b. It hits on the way up and on the way down. It gives you a full combo on air or ground CH. It's annoying to AA. If you don't know what button to hit, j.b is probably a good option.
  • Take Persona cards when you can! Hitting 5A against someone's Persona when they whiff an attack near you should just be something you automatically do.
  • Stop with the half-screen wakeup supers bro. Good players won't let you connect and OMC to safety.
  • You're losing combos because you're trying to do 5AA 2B, if you would just do 5AA 5B you'd be converting more consistently.
  • Against Narukami, 2B/DP his 214B Raging Lion. Otherwise you're going to be blocking all day.
  • 11:20, what the hell man. He whiffs a DP in front of you and you roll through him.
  • You get hit by every 214D OMC 2A the Narukami does except the last one. Expect it if he has meter. You can punish with 2B instead of 5A in order to hold down back in case he cancels (he will if he has meter).
  • Block the safe jumps, you don't have a choice. 214214A will beat some of them if you know the safe jump.

I will keep this in mind man thanks for not holding back i just have this urge to use 5c when i forgot to do instant air cross up ja or jb so i'll just practice how to do good blockstrings for a while and the rest i have no excuse to myself

Went to another tournament, and made quite a few errors. Not to mention dropped combos (so many combos that I shouldn't have dropped). So yeah, if anyone's willing to do more critiques of my Minazuki, I'd appreciate it.

Rath (Margaret) vs Orrax (Minazuki): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVCDQkCHhxw&list=UU4n3mpDrD-noB7uMkKSD00Q#t=935

- This one is particularly bad, I think. It was my first match in the tournament, and ugh what was I even doing. Wrong follow up to the auto-combo, missed an input on the way to super and got a terribly timed dp. :(

Dejixal (SLabrys) vs Orrax (Minazuki): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVCDQkCHhxw&list=UU4n3mpDrD-noB7uMkKSD00Q#t=3540

- I don't think either of us knew this matchup very well. I kept throwing knives into SLabrys' persona, which wasn't very useful. I start to use more 2D instead by the end, though.

[Loser's finals] Zeromus (Naoto) vs Orrax (Minazuki): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bpH-LDxpxw&list=UU4n3mpDrD-noB7uMkKSD00Q&index=4

- Part of the first match was cut off, and an entire set I played against another player seems to be missing. Rath said he was going to reupload these because some stuff got cut off, so I'll fix the links when he does. I think there were also a few streaming issues, because some of this match is choppy.

[Grand Finals] Rath (Margaret) vs Orrax (Minazuki): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bpH-LDxpxw&list=UU4n3mpDrD-noB7uMkKSD00Q#t=499

- I managed to reset the bracket, but then... dunno, guess I just fell apart, because I didn't win a single round after that. Or maybe Rath just got more serious about it, heh.

I'm only watching GF.

Right off the back I see very many questionable decisions. Your haphazard use of 2D leads to many situations of disadvantage at neutral because of the recovery, and you did it on wakeup once or twice. This is a good button, provided you use it intelligently. SJ j.2D is a better way to poke with that move will remaining relativey safe to most counter attacks. At one point you dp when he was halfscreen away because your persona broke her persona. Your pressure is lackluster, you did sweep as oki which could have been very easily dp'd. You have the bad habit of dp after a whiff which shows a lack of confidence in your own defense or a yomi level game that is way too reckless. I haven't seen a single grab/feight grab/command grab mixup, and your hitconfirms and OMB usage is fairly shoddy. Your mixup and pressure is way too linear. They say Rath has good D when all he really had to do was wait for you to go into a b normal and then switch his blocking or freely roll away. Your lack of stagger pressure let him mash 2B for free quite a few times.

Your use of meter and OMC is also questionable at times. You didn't super after the dp to kill, you didn't ever once challenge spear with teleport or wave. You hell-maried with a ex teleport air dp when you could have super canceled it on block or hit and rc to safety whether it hit or not. Your mixup on wake up is also lax. You throw many of your own games away as well.

I watched a few matches and I saw what the problem is. Let me preface this with none of this is meant to be rude. It's simply the truth. Your Minazuki is far too basic, not utilizing any of the things that make him a legit scary threat. Your pressure is straight forward and slightly braindead, (5A 5AA 5B -[2AB or iad j.A]) you don't use your command grab enough, you don't use defensive techniques enough, and you don't use any tool creatively enough to open anyone with above average defense. The first thing I would work on is your position and use of buttons in neutral, the second portion would be how to up your pressure game, and another thing would be to get more comfortable on defense. You dp'd the safe jump like, at least 40% of the time.

Those are my thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJmQTyB36F0&feature=youtu.be

Day 1 mashing, like literally picked this character up like 5 minutes ago. Just testing the waters about how well he goes against basic competition and he handles really well. I'll review the information on the character later and look for other useful material when I get some free time. I just like the momentum of a game I had to take a break on Xrd.