Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Litherain-XIII

[CPEX] Noel Vermillion Change List.

Removal of the OS would be nice, though I would rather they speed up d.6D to match d.6B lol

That shit would be crazy.

Welp, I came here looking for good news  :v:

I hate to say it, but I might just switch to being solely a Ragna main and dropping Noel to sub. He's just a much safer pick for me right now. 

I've been put in the situation of needing to rely on meter to do some kind of reversal with Noel more and more lately. 4D as it is now is fine and all, but even as it is now, a competent player will just hit low where the invul doesn't apply. 6D has a similar issue and 2D as we all know is worthless for using it to avoid low attacks. I mean, I play match after match against this one Kagura, and he just applies pressure so I can't respond without meter. I then switch to Ragna and more or less tell him to take a hike. 

I'm at a loss. I really wanna get good with Noel, but her growing inherent weaknesses just keep piling up and I'm not skilled enough to keep up. 

Welp, I came here looking for good news  :v:

I hate to say it, but I might just switch to being solely a Ragna main and dropping Noel to sub. He's just a much safer pick for me right now. 

I've been put in the situation of needing to rely on meter to do some kind of reversal with Noel more and more lately. 4D as it is now is fine and all, but even as it is now, a competent player will just hit low where the invul doesn't apply. 6D has a similar issue and 2D as we all know is worthless for using it to avoid low attacks. I mean, I play match after match against this one Kagura, and he just applies pressure so I can't respond without meter. I then switch to Ragna and more or less tell him to take a hike. 

I'm at a loss. I really wanna get good with Noel, but her growing inherent weaknesses just keep piling up and I'm not skilled enough to keep up. 

Here's the thing about Noel in CP in general. Noel is getting to the point where unless you have a good neutral game and good fundamental skills ( blocking, instant blocking, reading opponents and depicting their decision making in certain scenarios to help you counter their strategy and thought process) then you're gonna find yourself losing with her more often against players who know how to deal with her drives with ease. Because of this reason it is implied you learn how to hone those skills and simply "deal with it" or pick another character. I'm not gonna sugar coat it because if you feel like you need 4D to win in general then chances are you probably playing the wrong character or you probably deserve to lose until you learn how to play without it as much and depend more on solid blocking/ chicken blocking/ fuzzy blocking to get you to the next round with noel. This is more apparent even in CP2 where it is less emphasis on 4D as a dependable reversal (think of noels 4D in the same sense as Valk's 6A somewhat they share similar weaknesses but Valk players rarely even uses 6A WHEN he's under pressure or blocking despite its guard point property) Practicing those basic fundamentals will help a lot in your struggles with noel in defensive situations.

Here's the thing about Noel in CP in general. Noel is getting to the point where unless you have a good neutral game and good fundamental skills ( blocking, instant blocking, reading opponents and depicting their decision making in certain scenarios to help you counter their strategy and thought process) then you're gonna find yourself losing with her more often against players who know how to deal with her drives with ease. Because of this reason it is implied you learn how to hone those skills and simply "deal with it" or pick another character. I'm not gonna sugar coat it because if you feel like you need 4D to win in general then chances are you probably playing the wrong character or you probably deserve to lose until you learn how to play without it as much and depend more on solid blocking/ chicken blocking/ fuzzy blocking to get you to the next round with noel. This is more apparent even in CP2 where it is less emphasis on 4D as a dependable reversal (think of noels 4D in the same sense as Valk's 6A somewhat they share similar weaknesses but Valk players rarely even uses 6A WHEN he's under pressure or blocking despite its guard point property) Practicing those basic fundamentals will help a lot in your struggles with noel in defensive situations.

Thank you for the reply. Yea, I suppose you're right, although I will say it is a tad harsh to say I deserve to lose simply because I don't have a tool to punish a mistake like I can normally with most of the BB cast. I mean, if 5B was even just a little bit faster, I've have no issue. When I say she's unsafe to play, I mean she's generally safer to make mistakes against. I just hate being blue comboed or forced to sit in a unnecessarily long block string when I could have punished it with Ragna when the mistake occurred. 

I do need to get better at blocking, though. I'd say I'm confident at it, but there are flaws in there. 

You both are kinda looking at it the wrong way. Technically you're both right, it is important to actually be GOOD with Noel to beat anyone who knows what they're doing, and characters with a reliable reversal will on average just be better, However she's also not a character you can afford to make mistakes against, since she's now much more punishing in that regard, with her decently good wakeup game.

The real thing you MUST be good at when playing Noel, is making shit count. Always end combos with 22B unless absolutely impossible, never drop your combos, and commit 100% to what you're gonna be doing next. Let's take a look at why for a sec here:

Always end combos in 22B:

Noel's oki may not be the strongest, but it's still terrifying, if you have a solid grasp on all of her options, and all of your opponent's options after every knockdown, you can get a shit ton of mileage out of it.

Never drop combos:

This is obvious, while it's true that it's impossible to have a 100% success rate at performing combos, the higher your percentage, the more time's you're gonna set up oki, and the more times your going to hitconfirm off of oki into a combo, right back into oki etc. Hitconfirms especially are important here, because consistently landing every crouching confirm, and random stray hit into a combo, will make you much more dangerous.

COMMIT THAT SHIT:

The second you hesitate, is the second you fail to hitconfirm into that crouching combo, or fail to 4D that Ragna's 5B, or to apply good mixup on wakeup due to the threat of an opponent's reversal. I know doing certain things can be scary, I've been hit by too many reversals to count, and I'd been hit out of more 4Ds than I've seen in Japanese videos combined. The point is: If you want to do it, then you better do it. If you're going to bait a reversal, then bait a reversal, if you're going to 4D, then do it without fear, if you're going to throw out a normal or a drive in an attempt to play footsies, then do that shit with GUSTO! I'm not telling you to mash 4D like a scrub, or to auto-pilot into 3C without any regard to your opponent. I'm saying HAVE NO FUCKING FEAR, because you're supposed to make your opponent fear YOU. If your opponent truly thinks Noel is a broken character, then half of your job is already done, you just need to follow up on it, and give them a reason to think it.

The main thing is that they keep making Noel less and less of a shithead and more into a real character. Plus, most of the changes are essentially changes for the sake of having changes. That's just the trend that's BB's been going with. You can't really blame people for getting disillusioned with their character or even the game in general.

I wouldn't say that they're making her more of a real character. They keep nerfing her normals, which are the only things that would save her if they nerfed her gimmick into the ground. Thing is though, they wont do that, because if they made her normals good, there wouldn't be much of a reason to use her drive, which they want you to use because it's her gimmick.

BlazBlue in a nutshell. They want to make sure every character has a reason to press D, Noel just gets more hate for it than normal because her drives expose people who don't want to play the matchup.

So basically, they're gonna nerf drives, but still make sure her normals are bad enough so that you still need to use drives, however if they get carried away, she'll just end up sucking, because then nothing she does will be a good idea. This is the path she's on now, I guess we'll see what happens in CPEX+R.