Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoulGuitarist

Cyber Troopers Virtual-On

Play the VO series and want to discuss? Here is the place! Chat about your experience with the series, share videos, provide match-up knowledge/requests, and set up matches! (360: OMG,VOOT, and VO4 - PS3: OMG)

I've played the original in various arcades and used to play VOOT on XBLA a lot. Couldn't get into Force at all, it felt too clunky and too heavily weighted towards teamwork for my liking. Marz is better left unspoken. I was pissed when Sega didn't release the 360/PS3 Model 2 Collection port of VOOM outside of Japan, though.

I remember seeing a major surge of interest in the series when VOOT was released for 360 globally, but with the last truly new Virtual On game being over a decade old and no signs of a proper follow-up, it's really tapered off since. It seemed like Sega was gearing up for a sequel after the Force port; they had a detailed survey (in Japanese) asking what people would want out of one. Sadly, nothing came of it. I would have settled for a home version of Border Break...

Never forget that before Call of Duty existed, Activision published the Dreamcast version of VOOT.

I liked VO4 mostly because of the online and soundtrack. Lol I have VOOM on Xbox (Well had on Xbox) and PS3. Very solid port. Highly recommend it especially for it's online play. Xbox version of VOOM has tumbleweeds flowing across online play but PS3 online is VERY active. I assume because Xbox has the other 2 games that are still played competitively in Japan. VOOM is still played but not as much as the other 2 in Arcades. I got into Virtual-On about 3 years ago so when I had 360, VOOT was dead mostly besides Japanese who would decline matches (assuming because of lag which is understandable) and imported VO4. The survey I heard about but never took much look into it when VO4 was still hype on 360. I would love next-gen BAL-BADOS. Lol

I assume there's next to no Western players to be found online for the PS3 version of VOOM? For whatever reason, it was denied a US release along with Virtua Striker, despite the first three Model 2 Collection games making it over.

It's surprising that Striker didn't at least make it to Europe; I've heard it was one of the most popular arcade games there back in the day.

The guys over at Oratan try to get some VOOT games up on XBLA every now and then, they're the ones who attended the last two Vector Strikes at Super Arcade. One of them made a Facebook group to get games going.

Unfortunately, I don't own a 360 so I can't play VOOT but I plan on getting OMG on PSN eventually.

I assume there's next to no Western players to be found online for the PS3 version of VOOM? For whatever reason, it was denied a US release along with Virtua Striker, despite the first three Model 2 Collection games making it over.

It's surprising that Striker didn't at least make it to Europe; I've heard it was one of the most popular arcade games there back in the day.

There are about 4 Western VOOM players on PS3 only. Xbox version has more western players but PS3 has more overall. PS3 has about 4,000'ish on leaderboard but Xbox has about 945 last time I checked. I know leaderboards are not the best way to determine player base but for all the MODEL2 collection games, Player match is only used for tournaments at least to the Japanese players.

The guys over at Oratan try to get some VOOT games up on XBLA every now and then, they're the ones who attended the last two Vector Strikes at Super Arcade. One of them made a Facebook group to get games going.

Unfortunately, I don't own a 360 so I can't play VOOT but I plan on getting OMG on PSN eventually.

OMG is totally worth it on PSN. Add me when you want to play some games!

I don't have much to discuss on it though, but yeah, Vitrual-On is a good mech fighter series, lol. Have only the 360 games of it (OMG, OT, and Force), and that's all! :kitty:

I don't have much to discuss on it though, but yeah, Vitrual-On is a good mech fighter series, lol. Have only the 360 games of it (OMG, OT, and Force), and that's all! :kitty:

that's all of the important ones :P

assuming you even consider Marz a Virtual-On game, that's 75% of them.

that's all of the important ones :P

assuming you even consider Marz a Virtual-On game, that's 75% of them.

Is Marz really that bad? I was considering purchasing it from the JP store since Marz is the only one I don't own.

Indeed it is amazing! :) Your name sounds familiar. Did you write a OMG achievement guide for a Xbox forum by any chance? I remember someone on oratan forums sharing a guide for it.

Is Marz really that bad? I was considering purchasing it from the JP store since Marz is the only one I don't own.

Mechanically, it's Force (slower movement, delayed Watari dash, etc.), but it tries to be a sort of action-adventure type of game. Virtual-On mechanics just don't belong in that kind of single-player setting.

Mechanically, it's Force (slower movement, delayed Watari dash, etc.), but it tries to be a sort of action-adventure type of game. Virtual-On mechanics just don't belong in that kind of single-player setting.

Action-Adventure? Is there a option just to play matches similar to force's, one match mode?

I think there is. There's also split screen where you can choose to have a CPU partner or play 1v1.

Indeed it is amazing! :) Your name sounds familiar. Did you write a OMG achievement guide for a Xbox forum by any chance? I remember someone on oratan forums sharing a guide for it.

Why yes indeed, lol. Its real simple and can be done in 5min. straight if you know what you're doing, but yeah! :kitty:

Marz started as a port of Force, but was considerably gimped and padded out with SP action-adventure content because the PS2 couldn't match the Hikaru arcade hardware. You definitely can't do 3 or 4-player splitscreen matches, even with a multitap.

The original Xbox could have pulled it off, though I guess Sega didn't think there was enough of a market on the system. I still don't really like Force even in its undiluted form, though.

It's worth mentioning that the digital release of Marz on PSN does support the PS3 twinsticks.

No one would play it because Marz sucks. It would have been smarter to port Force and VOOT to the PS3, but I guess Sega decided it wasn't worth the investment.

At least Gundam VS. exists to fill the void.

IT'S NOT THE SAAAAAAAAME

I never played any of the EXVS games so I can't really judge much. I wanted to get EXVSFB but decided to pass on it. It looks slightly similar but entirely different from a technical view at least for me. At least we got OMG. I would love VOOT and VO4 on PS3 though. Virtual-On was the only reason I touched my Xbox when I owned one

EXVSFB is a great game, imo it's the best licensed Gundam game available. But it's completely different from Virtual-On mechanics-wise.

SEGA hinted at something for the 20th anniversary of OMG next year, but knowing SEGA it's probably nothing at all. Still pretty bitter about how the most notable things with Virtual-On they've done recently are the PSO2 costumes/lobby.

I remember mechadamashii had posted a 4gamer interview with Juro Watari from a year or two ago where he had no comment on a new game or rumors that G.rev was working on the next game. I'm sure those were just rumors, but I think if anyone could do a new Virtual-On, it would G.rev

SEGA hinted at something for the 20th anniversary of OMG next year, but knowing SEGA it's probably nothing at all. Still pretty bitter about how the most notable things with Virtual-On they've done recently are the PSO2 costumes/lobby.

It's probably a soundtrack release, price drops on digital games, or more pointless DLC items.

I never meant to say that EXVS is the same as VO. It's a conceptually similar game that is also of high quality

It's probably a soundtrack release, price drops on digital games, or more pointless DLC items.

Did they announce a DFC stage already?

I never meant to say that EXVS is the same as VO. It's a conceptually similar game that is also of high quality

Yeah for sure, but it was mostly the "fill the void" bit I was referring to. EXVS is amazing but I think VO is just so much more.