Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kettlin

Need Advice

Hey guys, I need advice on how to stay calm and not flail around the place during matches. I have a hard time doing actual combos and execution problems.. I can do them somewhat decently in training, but in a real match, I'm just doomed to not remember motions/combos and just press buttons, hoping to get a lucky hit in.

Is there any way to help this? Should I just keep practicing combos and motions in training mode until it's second nature? Or maybe it's one of those 'get better with as you play' sort of deal?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated  :) Thanks!

playing patiently is living patiently. patience is the best thing any person can have in a fighting game. acceptance is important,  so is knowledge and memory, etc. but patience fuels motivation, improving the amount of time and effort you put into the game, and therefore making you smarter.

patience 101

breathe deeply through your nose, rest the air in your stomach, hold... release through your mouth slowly.

close your eyes briefly during times alone.

try to understand... everything. develop a sense of curiosity. question everything, see what you come up with.

open your mind and let it roam free. keep it empty. let intuition guide you.

done being priestly pablo for the day. tl;dr keep playing while you have fun, calming down = patience, patience is a virtue. believe in yourself and keep playing. any questions?

Is there any way to help this? Should I just keep practicing combos and motions in training mode until it's second nature? Or maybe it's one of those 'get better with as you play' sort of deal?

Practice until it becomes second nature, if you just go and play matches you're most likely going to get frustrated and not see any real progress.

This is my flow chart when learning a new character:

1. Get used to your character's moves. Learn their range and learn what cancels into what.

2. Learn combos until they become second nature.

3. Set the AI to the highest level and practice hit-confirming in neutral.

4. Practice block strings and hit-confirming during offense.

After you can hit-confirm consistently against the AI, then you'll be able to play against other players.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

playing patiently is living patiently. patience is the best thing any person can have in a fighting game. acceptance is important,  so is knowledge and memory, etc. but patience fuels motivation, improving the amount of time and effort you put into the game, and therefore making you smarter.

patience 101

breathe deeply through your nose, rest the air in your stomach, hold... release through your mouth slowly.

close your eyes briefly during times alone.

try to understand... everything. develop a sense of curiosity. question everything, see what you come up with.

open your mind and let it roam free. keep it empty. let intuition guide you.

done being priestly pablo for the day. tl;dr keep playing while you have fun, calming down = patience, patience is a virtue. believe in yourself and keep playing. any questions?

Do you have any tips on getting inputs down? Like double fire ball, I have a lot of trouble doing distortions because of that

Nothing to motions but practice.

As per playing calmly, we could all give you loads of advice, but something I don't see pop up as much that matters to me a lot: play only when rested. When I'm tired, I'm more likely to pop off if things aren't going my way. When I'm rested, I'm less emotional, and can evaluate situations better.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Do you have any tips on getting inputs down? Like double fire ball, I have a lot of trouble doing distortions because of that

Who do you play? And do you use a pad or a stick?

I play on pad. I tend to rub my thumb in a controlled motion for 236236. It's simple and is really just something that needs to be practiced, I agree. Hope this tip helped though.

Nothing to motions but practice.

As per playing calmly, we could all give you loads of advice, but something I don't see pop up as much that matters to me a lot: play only when rested. When I'm tired, I'm more likely to pop off if things aren't going my way. When I'm rested, I'm less emotional, and can evaluate situations better.

Amen to this. Although sometimes it's hard for me not to grind out playing games after a 10hr work shift or being dead tired, playing while rested does help.