Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wiredgod

[P4AU] Teddie vs Kanji

Lost to a Kanji player over the weekend.  My problem with this character is that he can easily DP any crossup attempt that you do.  My pressure became really stale and predictable.  How do you change your mixup game to compensate for the loss of crossup opportunities?

Lost to a Kanji player over the weekend.  My problem with this character is that he can easily DP any crossup attempt that you do.  My pressure became really stale and predictable.  How do you change your mixup game to compensate for the loss of crossup opportunities?

I don't know dude I have the same problem with anyone who knows Teddie's mixups. It's why I say Teddie is as good as people think he is (especially since you can ACTUALLY TRADE WITH HIS MOVES, unlike the rest of the top tiers (excluding Aigis)). If anything if the Kanji knows your mixups then try backing up and getting some items on the field, just be careful if he summons the lighting as air backdash is about the same distance as 2D when up close.

You just gotta play neutral and try to pre-emptively bait the DPs. He has a hard time getting in so the matchup is still in Teddie's favor.

You just gotta play neutral and try to pre-emptively bait the DPs. He has a hard time getting in so the matchup is still in Teddie's favor.

Sometimes after 5AA, I'll jump forward to show crossup and then air backdash j.C.  Maybe this can make him think twice about DPing the crossup j.B.  Your tools effectively shut down his neutral and it's easy to get in, but converting it into damage was frustrating.  Throw is also another mixup option

Kanji's DP is very annoying since it shuts down everything except Persona attacks and items. Air backdash j.C is the best option on wake-up, but it can cost you Persona cards really quickly. 2C also works, but again, Persona cards. It's a weird matchup where both players have trouble pressurizing each other, but Kanji converts into damage more favourably. You do have to respect his wake-up, but you do have the range advantage. Breaking his Persona really helps as it neuters a lot of his defensive and ranged options.

It's not the worst matchup by any means, but you can't really underestimate Kanji now. I've found Puppeteddie A to be an interesting defensive option if he isn't airgrabbing, since it beats lows and can beat his grabs with some timing.

You should definetely watch some of Souji's matches against Kanji.
He's probably the Teddie player that knows this MU the best.

Basically, summary of the matchup is that like it was mentionned, you don't really plan to really pressure him that much. At least, not without an item out. There are plenty of very annoying options for Kanji that you can use. jC for instance is something that Souji likes to throw out in neutral once in a while.

For items, his most move is high jump jD which is also very annoying for Kanji who got no hard counter against that. There is still 236D yeah but somehow, it whiffed quite a lot against him. Guess the hitbox is far from being as great as it looks like. It's also a big commitment because he won't be able to use his persona for a while so you can use jC or 5B more with him being unable to poke you.
After a high jump jD, don't forget that you still have your airdash or can use j236A/B to move around. That's the whole reason why they added a landing recovery on it because it was ridiculous in several matchups like Akihiko where their only option was to break the persona. Though, you could still do high jump>j2C>jD. Again, something that isn't possible anymore in 2.0

During pressure, if you want to bait DPs, you can also uses 5D considering that his reversals are quite slow. Though, your options afterwards heavily depends on the item you threw but unless you ended up getting curry or fog ball, they are still nice.
Forget about 5D however if he's in awakening with 50 meter. His 214214C is +0 after superflash which means that even if you weren't doing anything, you won't be able to jump out of it and avoid the grab so doing airbackdash jC to bait it or just GTFO with a high jump are your safest options.

jC unblockable in the corner works very well against him too so make sure to abuse it.

But yeah, overall, it's just your typical grappler matchup where his neutral forces him to take risks to get in. And he really needs to because Teddie's items are a huge pain for him to deal with and gives him great advantages.
Anyway, if you have troubles pressuring him, just go back to neutral. Honestly, Teddie's pressure is great because of his many options but that's it. Neutral is really where Teddie shines and only a few characters got hard counters to whatever he might want to do so focus less on your offense and capitalize on his neutral dominance and the Kanji MU should be much easier for you.

Sometimes after 5AA, I'll jump forward to show crossup and then air backdash j.C.  Maybe this can make him think twice about DPing the crossup j.B.  Your tools effectively shut down his neutral and it's easy to get in, but converting it into damage was frustrating.  Throw is also another mixup option

Not a bad idea. TBH I personally rarely mixup Kanji's and will end blockstrings short, only resorting to the crossup when I need it for a round or something. You're in favor when you're in neutral, just remember to punish his charge attack persona lunge thing with 2A, or else you'll be caught by jD.

Personally I try not to stay in Kanji's face for too long, because any chance he gets to attack, 9/10 times it will lead into a wake up guessing game; and while Teddiepuppet will beat all his options except 5A, it's just too risky at times( also he can still full auto combo and start the pressure over again). Don't be afraid to air turn and air dash back and throw items whenever you can, because Kanji loses to items and neutral pressure, unless he knows the MU. Poison also helps knock off some of his health (although I'm probably the only Teddie who goes for poison over sweep/j.b in his auto combo most of the time.)

Personally I try not to stay in Kanji's face for too long, because any chance he gets to attack, 9/10 times it will lead into a wake up guessing game; and while Teddiepuppet will beat all his options except 5A, it's just too risky at times( also he can still full auto combo and start the pressure over again). Don't be afraid to air turn and air dash back and throw items whenever you can, because Kanji loses to items and neutral pressure, unless he knows the MU. Poison also helps knock off some of his health (although I'm probably the only Teddie who goes for poison over sweep/j.b in his auto combo most of the time.)

Ending with poison isn't actually a bad idea against Kanji because you don't have to respect him in that range. How minus is A puppetteddie on hit anyway? Can some characters run-up and start pressure?

Ending with poison isn't actually a bad idea against Kanji because you don't have to respect him in that range. How minus is A puppetteddie on hit anyway? Can some characters run-up and start pressure?

On block it's -19 however Teddie pushes away from the opponent so it's safe but he has safer options (Mitsuru and Narukami can hit you before you recover and maybe Sho?). On hit the opponent goes all the way across the screen, meaning you get full screen item throws and they take 500 poison damage if they don't hit you in time.

On block it's -19 however Teddie pushes away from the opponent so it's safe but he has safer options (Mitsuru and Narukami can hit you before you recover and maybe Sho?). On hit the opponent goes all the way across the screen, meaning you get full screen item throws and they take 500 poison damage if they don't hit you in time.

Something for me to conisder in this MU then. Although I would favor okizeme against other chars in most situations.