Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Justice456

PS3 vs PS4 Version

Hi guys.

As many have expressed concern over this matter I figured I'd make a new topic so we can share any information that we may have and hopefully put our worries at ease. Since the two versions are cross-play I don't think we'll have to worry about any major differences in fps performance too much. I'm sure both will run at a steady 60. My main concern is certain visual elements changing or looking less refined/ rougher. Will the only difference be the 720p and 1080p resolutions or will the PS3 version lack some of the partical effects and general nice touches that add to the overall experience that we have seen on the PS4? A video was posted of the TGS PS3 version (the only one I can find): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-NFd90ho88. ElvenShadow was present during the video and has already said in a previous forum that he could not really tell the difference between it and the arcade version. This is a very good sign indeed. But when comparing it to a video of the PS4 version taken at TGS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsYgJKxUOH4 , one can see much more pronounced smoke and dust effects In Elphert's intro. The most noticeable for me is when Elphert's helmet drops, it clearly kicks up dust in the PS4 version, while in the PS3 version (which I know the video is fairly average quality) you cannot see this. Also Milia's intro doesn't seem as polished as some of the PS4 demo footage we have seen (her facial texture I think doesn't look like the same level of quality).

Do you guys think this is a simple issue surrounding the quality of the video or that these little touches will be absent due to the PS3's technical restrictions. Or perhaps it was simply the build at TGS and Arc will have more time to optimize the PS3 port before release (since there main focus was to show off the PS4 version).

There was also a recent DualShockers article (to be fair I'm not too sure how reliable it is: http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/09/20/guilty-gear-xrd-sign-on-ps4-runs-at-very-stable-60-fps-in-1080p-looks-better-than-the-arcade-version/ ), that first brought this potential issue to my attention. It says that in an interview with Daisuke Ishiwatari, he said that the PS3 version was "difficult to port" because of the PS3's old hardware. We know GGXrd is running on the Sega RingEdge2 which is somewhere between PS3 and PS4 in terms of power (definately way more powerful than the last gen tech).

I guess none of this will be game breaking and I'll still be purchasing the PS3 version until I can upgrade, but I'd just like to know if anybody had anymore insights or first hand experiences with the PS3 version as it's very had to get any info. Especially with Arc only really using the PS4 version for promotion, and I don't blame them since they want to show the best looking version of the game. But it would suck if these little differences made it a lesser GGXrd experience for PS3 owners and I'm hoping it just comes down to resolution.

I am betting they'll sacrifice details so the PS3 can run the game. Gameplay wise it will probably be the same.

I'm just assuming, though.

I am betting they'll sacrifice details so the PS3 can run the game. Gameplay wise it will probably be the same.

I'm just assuming, though.

I hope they'll do it a wee bit to hedge against unexpected hiccups. Stable framerate and low lag > all.