Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pichy

Everything You Need to Know About Guilty Gear Xrd

When does the game release?
December 4th in Japan. December 16th in the United States.

Some time in 2187 for PAL territories.

What's this game on?

Playstation 3 and Playstation 4. Both release at the same time and can play with each other online!

The PS3 version runs at 720p and 60fps. This is identical to the arcade version.

PS4 version runs at 1080p and 60fps. If you are purely after visuals, go for this version.

Is there a PSN version?

YES. Pre-orders are now open.  To find it on the storefront, go to ゲーム then PS3ゲーム then 対戦型格闘 and it's the first listed option.

You can pre-load the game from December 2nd. That's Japan Time, so it'll be Dec 1st for you Americans.

Are you sure the PS3 version won't have a gimped framerate?

If it did it would make the online play between versions amazingly unstable and probably be completely unplayable. Let's trust in the dev this far at least.

Will my PS3 stick work on the PS4 version?

At this point, no. Not at all. Madcatz and Hori both have PS4 sticks available for purchase at this time.

So will all tournaments be using the PS4 version then?

What console a game runs on is entirely up the event organiser's discretion. At this point I'd wager on events for at the very least the first year sticking to PS3 since they already own the console and people have sticks for 'em. If there's one thing TOs don't usually have, it's money to burn.

What about Xbox 360/One?

Japan hates the Xbox, so no release of any kind at this time. Don't expect one down the road either, honestly.

What about PC?

Japanese devs aren't exactly fond of supporting the PC for a myriad of reasons. If one comes out, we'll be just as pumped as you!

How do I play as Sin or Elphelt?

Sin is an in-game unlockable. You can earn points from various mode of play to unlock things, so go for him first. Pretty much BBCP and UNIEL's in-game points system.

Elphelt is a DLC character. If you pre-order the PSN version she comes available right away. Is therefore likely a first-print bonus for physical copies and otherwise 800 yen or something.

Wait, that's it for the roster? Where's Order Sol/Jam/Johnny/Baiken/Bridget/ABA/Dr. Paradigm/Leopaldon/Watson the Magic Rabbit?

Sin, Elphelt and Leo are the only additions to the Arcade version's roster announced at this point. As soon as ASW announce any other character, we'll be just as excited to know as you!

When's Leo? I heard he's coming as DLC!!

When he's done.

Is the netcode good?

We don't know; the game's not out! Unless there's been some serious shakeup in how their networking programmers do things, we'll assume it'll be the same stuff they've been using since BBCT.

Will each country's release be locked out of playing with each other like American Love Max?

No. This has been completely refuted by both ASW and the US publisher, Aksys Games.

Isn't Guilty Gear really hard? How do I learn it?

It's far simpler to pick up than you think it is. Sit down with some friends and play the game! If you have questions, ask them!

Isn't Xrd really dumbed down and simplified? Doesn't that make it bad?

First, that's subjective. Play the game and decide for yourself from your own experiences.

Second, the new Roman Cancel systems remove a lot of hefty execution barriers that really hurt people opening up the potential of some certain characters like I-no. Others like Zato take just as much effort as before (arguably more since Nobiru doesn't cover like a quarter of the screen). The new system isn't so much dumbing things down as changing things up a bit. After all, this is a new game! AC+R hasn't ceased to exist if you want to keep playing XX.

Who should I start with?

If you're from a more traditional Street Fighter background, check out Ky. He has solid footsie normals, a strong fireball game and incredibly simple combos (chain to sweep then do the charged fireball to stay on top of them at midscreen. In the corner, chain to sweep, do the super fireball then simply do close Slash, crouch High Slash, uppercut three times for big damage!). Watch out though - some characters have ways of slipping under his uppercut even on your wakeup!

Slayer is another fairly easy character with excellent footsies. His normals operate far more like Street Fighter (target combo for up-close, confirming standing kicks into a single special move etc.) than the rest of the cast. He also has one of the best backdashes in the game.

If you like modern Dhalsim's poking game and Super Turbo Dhalsim's ludicrous offense options, give Faust a whirl. You can learn the game poking all day and discover a whole new world of making people miserable as you learn how the game works and how he uses its systems.

Who's top tier?

Faust, Sol, Milia, Ramlethal, Chipp, Zato. Listed in order of difficulty for either execution or neutral game reasons.

If we know this, why play anyone else?

A mix of character tools and universal system mechanics mean that everyone has some sort of option for just about every situation. Try out everyone and see who fits you best. Being comfortable with a character and finding your own answers to situations will take you much further in the long run than just mindlessly following a flowchart someone else threw at you. Knowledge you own is knowledge you're applying without even realising it!

So if this is out, does that mean Blazblue/Persona/UNIEL/Arcana Heart/GEXVS/Skullgirls/My local Sengoku Basara X scene won't play those games anymore?

Play what you enjoy playing. Videogames are fun.

How do I block Milia?

1. Be Praying

2. Be Praying

3. Be Praying

BE  ATTITUDE  FOR  GAINS...

Top drawer, Pichy.

Because I've seen multiple people ask about this stuff, here's a small addendum covering purchasing options:

What's the difference between the standard edition and the limited edition?
Both editions are identical in terms of gameplay and in-game content.  The LE contains several bonus items, including: A 'Vocal Collection' soundtrack CD, an art book, a metal keychain, and a replica of "The Backyard" for its packaging.  The LE will be available for both the PS3 and PS4.

Japan is getting its own limited edition of Xrd exclusively for the PS4.  The Japanese LE will contain different bonus items, most notably a custom gamepad made by Sanwa Denshi that will be compatible with both the PS3 and PS4.

How much will the game cost?
The suggested retail prices for the different versions being released in the US are as follows:

PS3 Standard Edition: $49.99
PS4 Standard Edition: $59.99
PS3 Limited Edition: $69.99
PS4 Limited Edition: $79.99

How much will the DLC cost?
We don't have official confirmation on the pricing for any DLC yet.  We do, however, have confirmation that Elphelt will be free to download for the first week following the game's release in North America.

Will Xrd be released for any systems besides the PS3/PS4?
We currently don't know.  Arc's past release history suggests a PS Vita port might be possible in the future, but this is purely speculation; right now, the PS3 and PS4 ports are the only home versions of Xrd that have been announced.

That Watson reference, lol... Seriously though, I can't wait to sink my teeth into this game.

How much will the DLC cost?

We don't have official confirmation on the pricing for any DLC yet.  We do, however, have confirmation that Elphelt will be free to download for the first week following the game's release in North America.

Elphelt will cost $7.99.

I guess this is confirmation that everyone will have to pay for Leo, without any preorder bonus or time-limited promotion for getting him for free.

Sin is probably going to have a cheaper DLC that unlocks him right away without having to play through story mode, like what they did with Kagura in BBCP.

Japanese Pre-loading is now live!

1. Go to the store

2. Select ダウンロードリスト

3. Hit the little blue button next to GUILTY GEAR XRD ~SIGN~

4. Enjoy the download process!

Is there a digital release of the game in north america? Or only on jp psn?

not out yet, I assume they will put it up when they take down the demo.

Japanese Pre-loading is now live!

1. Go to the store

2. Select ダウンロードリスト

3. Hit the little blue button next to GUILTY GEAR XRD ~SIGN~

4. Enjoy the download process!

Has anyone else gotten this to work? I just get a blue screen with a message (in moonrunes of course) on that page. No games to select, no Xrd. 

Do you need PS+ for this or something?

Pichy, many thanks to you for creating and posting this FAQ!  I have updated it and added a bit to it, with the intention of personally posting this information (along with the added resource links and such) elsewhere.  If you'd like to update the first post (at least with the resources and FAQ portions), please feel welcome to.

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- is nearly here.  Tomorrow, it will be available on Japanese PSN.  [EDIT: IT'S OUT IN BOTH JAPAN AND NORTH AMERICA NOW!]  This is my favorite fighting game series, and the one by which I entered the competitive scene.  I hope you'll not mind if I leave a few words about it, followed by some links and a FAQ.  In short, I'm very interested in enjoying this game at a high level, and in helping the community grow.  If you have any questions about this game or if you ever want to play, please let me know.

For those unfamiliar, this is an anime style game that brings together many elements; the importance of ground game and spacing as in Street Fighter and The King of Fighters, the freedom and craziness of games like Marvel, zoning, setups, okizeme, and so on.  Its combo system is interesting, and has some similarities to and inspiration likely derived from Darkstalkers and Street Fighter Alpha, though it certainly has a modern anime feel by now.  At the end of the day, I find it's a unique blend that ends up being its own game, with a reasonable level of entry and learning curve (despite what you may have heard) but a fairly high ceiling.  It rewards outplaying the opponent, and encourages uniqueness with its freedom and options.  Not to mention, it is stylish and cool (in all aspects) as all get-out.  Can we please play this game?

Some resources:

TRAILER:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCNRXZ0iEPc

EXTENDED JP TRAILER:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juP7yg__JmY

OFFICIAL U.S. SITE:
http://www.guiltygear.us/

COMPETITIVE COMMUNITY SITE:
http://www.dustloop.com

BUTTON LAYOUTS:
http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/images/8/89/GGXRD_Controls.png

BASIC COMBOS:
http://www.youtube.com/user/4GamerMovie/search?query=GUILTY+GEAR

DUSTLOOP WIKI (with explanations of the mechanics, character explanations, frame data, and more):
http://tinyurl.com/xrddlwiki

JP WIKI (with bread and butter combo videos, frame data, and more):
http://wiki.4gamer.net/ggxrd/

SEARCHABLE MATCH VIDEO DATABASE:
http://t.co/YJRMBOYbfH

(There are also video threads in the subforums on Dustloop!)

BROKENTIER'S SIMPLE CHARACTER GUIDE.  (This explains character traits and general strategy, with videos and examples of high level players.  This is for Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, not Xrd, but can still apply if you are trying to understand the returning members of the cast and choose a character to play.):
http://blog.brokentier.com/192/guilty-gear-simple-characte-guide/

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS. (As posted by Pichy on the Dustloop forum, with some modifications that I made!  The parts that I edited or added are in [brackets].)

WHEN DOES THE GAME RELEASE?
December 4th in Japan. [since the time zone in Japan is way ahead of us, this means the game will actually be available on the afternoon of December 3rd!] December 16th in the United States.

Some time in 2187 for PAL territories.

WHAT'S THIS GAME ON?

Playstation 3 and Playstation 4. Both release at the same time and can play with each other online!

The PS3 version runs at 720p and 60fps. This is identical to the arcade version.

PS4 version runs at 1080p and 60fps. If you are purely after visuals, go for this version.

IS THERE A PSN VERSION?

YES. [The Japanese version will be released on December 4th in Japan, which will be the afternoon of December 3rd in the U.S.  The U.S. version will be released on December 16th.]

[iS THE JAPANESE VERSION GOING TO BE IN ENGLISH?]

[Yes!  There's a free patch that adds an option for English!  We're quite lucky with that, as it's not commonly this way.]

[HOW DO I GET THE JAPANESE PSN VERSION?]

[You have to make a Japanese PSN account, separate from whatever any other accounts you may have.  I like this guide: This guide offers a slight variation on the initial sign-up process, and has much more information about the system, navigation, etc.: http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6703-importing-101/.]

[HOW DOES ACCOUNT SHARING OR HAVING ONE ACCOUNT ON MULTIPLE SYSEMS WORK ON JAPANESE PSN?]

[One account can be active on up to two systems at a time.]

[WHAT ABOUT THE DISC VERSIONS?]

[These have the same release dates, with the exception of the U.S. limited edition, which is estimated to be delayed by a week or two, roughly.]

ARE YOU SURE THE PS3 VERSION WON'T HAVE A GIMPED FRAMERATE?

If it did it would make the online play between versions amazingly unstable and probably be completely unplayable. Let's trust in the dev this far at least.

WILL MY PS3 STICK WORK ON THE PS4 VERSION?

At this point, no. Not at all. Madcatz and Hori both have PS4 sticks available for purchase at this time.

[Alternately, it is possible to have an arcade stick modified to work on PS4.]

SO WILL ALL TOURNAMENTS BE USING THE PS4 VERSION THEN?

What console a game runs on is entirely up the event organiser's discretion. At this point I'd wager on events for at the very least the first year sticking to PS3 since they already own the console and people have sticks for 'em. If there's one thing TOs don't usually have, it's money to burn.

[ I also think PS3 will be the standard, since the game is the same, but is less expensive and much more widely accessible.]

WHAT ABOUT XBOX 360/ONE?

Japan hates the Xbox, so no release of any kind at this time. Don't expect one down the road either, honestly.

[it's a shame.  The PS3 is owned by many, and is relatively inexpensive these days, though, thankfully.]

WHAT ABOUT PC?

Japanese devs aren't exactly fond of supporting the PC for a myriad of reasons. If one comes out, we'll be just as pumped as you!

[WHAT ABOUT THE DLC, INCLUDING THE CHARACTERS, INCLUDING SIN, ELPHELT, AND LEO?]

The DLC is cross-platform between PS3 and PS4, meaning that if you buy it for one system, you will have access to it through your account on the other.

The game itself is NOT cross-platform, so separate versions must be bought if you'd like to have it for both systems.

DLC between the North American version of the game and Japanese and Hong Kong versions does not work.  In other words, you can't download Elphelt for free on NA PSN to be played on a copy of the game bought on JP PSN.  You'll need to get DLC that corresponds, regionally, to whichever version of the game you have.  (That said, I have heard that the HK and JP versions actually have interchangeable DLC.)

Sin can be unlocked for 200,000 W$ in the game, or purchased online.

Elphelt is available as a free download for players with the North American version from 12/16/2014 until 1/5/2014.  For those with the Japanese or Hong Kong version, she is available as DLC.

Leo will be available for purchase in North America from 12/23/2014.  He's available for purchase in the JP and HK stores as of 12/16/2014.

North American DLC schedule:

Sin Kiske (Character) – 12/16/2014
Elphelt Valentine (Character) (FREE until 1/5/2015) – 12/16/2014
System Voices (all minus Leo Whitefang) – 12/16/2014
Leo Whitefang (Character) – 12/23/2014
Leo Whitefang System Voice – 12/23/2014
Character Colors [colors 7-12] (individual and bundles) – 12/23/2014
System Voice Bundle – 12/23/2014
Christmas Colors [color 13] (FREE from 12/23/2014-1/13/2015) – 12/23/2014
PSN Avatars – 12/23/2014
PlayStation®Plus Colors [color 14] (available 1/13/15-2/10/15) Free for PS+ subscribers – 1/13/2015

As of 12/18/2014, all DLC is available from the JP PSN Store.

WAIT, THAT'S IT FOR THE ROSTER? WHERE'S ORDER SOL/JAM/JOHNNY/BAIKEN/BRIDGET /ABA/DR. PARADIGM/LEOPALDON/WATSON THE MAGIC RABBIT?

Sin, Elphelt and Leo are the only additions to the Arcade version's roster announced at this point. As soon as ASW announce any other character, we'll be just as excited to know as you!

IS THE NETCODE GOOD?

[The way it is set up involves choosing your region on several different levels, then going into a room that has four setups.  You can then choose to wait line at any of the setups.  It's very much like going to an arcade, except it's online.  Pretty awesome way to do lobbies.

Connectivity seems to be varied.  There's a patch coming to fix the occasional desynching between players who are using different language settings, add direct player invititations, and possibly to improve the netcode in general.]

WILL EACH COUNTRY'S RELEASE BE LOCKED OUT OF PLAYING WITH EACH OTHER LIKE AMERICAN LOVE MAX?

No. This has been completely refuted by both ASW and the US publisher, Aksys Games.

ISN'T GUILTY GEAR REALLY HARD?  HOW DO I LEARN IT?

It's far simpler to pick up than you think it is. Sit down with some friends and play the game! If you have questions, ask them!

[There's a wealth of resources online, plenty of people who play the series, and also in-game modes designed to teach you the game.  Also, people like to exaggerate when describing how hard it is to play this series.  Please don't be turned off by that, and try it out yourself!]

ISN'T XRD REALLY DUMBED DOWN SIMPLIFIED? DOESN'T THAT MAKE IT BAD?

First, that's subjective. Play the game and decide for yourself from your own experiences.

Second, the new Roman Cancel systems remove a lot of hefty execution barriers that really hurt people opening up the potential of some certain characters like I-no. Others like Zato take just as much effort as before (arguably more since  
Nobiru doesn't cover like a quarter of the screen). The new system isn't so much dumbing things down as changing things up a bit. After all, this is a new game! AC+R hasn't ceased to exist if you want to keep playing XX.

WHO SHOULD I START WITH?

If you're from a more traditional Street Fighter background, check out Ky. He has solid footsie normals, a strong fireball game and incredibly simple combos (chain to sweep then do the charged fireball to stay on top of them at midscreen. In the corner, chain to sweep, do the super fireball then simply do close Slash, crouch High Slash, uppercut three times for big damage!). Watch out though - some characters have ways of slipping under his uppercut even on your wakeup!

Slayer is another fairly easy character with excellent footsies. His normals operate far more like Street Fighter (target combo for up-close, confirming standing kicks into a single special move etc.) than the rest of the cast. He also has one of the best backdashes in the game.

If you like modern Dhalsim's poking game and Super Turbo Dhalsim's ludicrous offense options, give Faust a whirl. You can learn the game poking all day and discover a whole new world of making people miserable as you learn how the game works and how he uses its systems.

[ I've always thought of AXL as being the character that's most like Dhalsim, but Faust is not far off either.  I recommend trying out a few characters.  You might like to read the descriptions in the Dustloop wiki and/or Brokentier character guide for Accent Core to help you find one.]

WHO'S TOP TIER?

Faust, Sol, Milia, Ramlethal, Chipp, Zato. Listed in order of difficulty for either execution or neutral game reasons.

IF WE KNOW THIS, WHY PLAY ANYONE ELSE?

A mix of character tools and universal system mechanics mean that everyone has some sort of option for just about every situation. Try out everyone and see who fits you best. Being comfortable with a character and finding your own answers to situations will take you much further in the long run than just mindlessly following a flowchart someone else threw at you. Knowledge you own is knowledge you're applying without even realising it!

[Guilty Gear has long been known as a game where, because of the level of complexity, many players only play one character.  I've found that it's especially possible to overcome bad match-ups in this series, more so than in many other games, because of the general design – a high level of freedom, options, and mechanics.  I definitely recommend just playing whichever character you feel is best for you.]

SO IF THIS IS OUT, DOESN'T THAT MEAN BLAZBLUE/PERSONA/UNIEL/ARCANA HEART/GEXVS/SKULLGIRLS/MY LOCAL SENGOKU BASARA X SCENE WON'T PLAY THOSE GAMES ANYMORE?

Play what you enjoy playing. Videogames are fun.

HOW DO I BLOCK MILLIA?

1. Be Praying

2. Be Praying

3. Be Praying

BE  ATTITUDE  FOR  GAINS...

[it's a Radiant Silvergun reference.]

[LET THERE BE GUILTY GEAR!]

Cheers for the menu instructions Pichy.

What does ーム mean?

It's probably a part of some other word, since the first symbol denotes a long vowel, and the second one is just "Mu".

The game is out now on JP PSN?!

Its the physical copies that are been streamed, but it was enough for me to crack (English everywhere) just waiting for yasan to send my code, probably be 2morrow. 

Now I got $50 just sitting in my US account.