Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

B.Z.B

Xrd PS3 Performance Issues and Future Tournament Standard?

So I am hearing a bunch of conflicting stuff about this.  Obviously the big problem with PS4 is you'd need to by a new stick, but I've also heard people complain about PS3 Performance Hiccups - even on the 30fps mode.  Can we start compiling some concrete issues with PS3 (if any) to help determine what the tournament standard should be?  I know a lot of people on the fence about buying a PS4 & new stick just for guilty gear (myself included), and I'd like to help them make an informed decision about this.

Well most jp players play in arcades anyway for tournaments. I'd still say ps3 for this game simply because more people have it

I play on quality mode and it runs at a steady 60 FPS. Always. I don't get where all the complaining is coming from.

People will use performance mode in tourneys anyway, so we have nothing to worry about.

30fps mode? this doesn't exist. The game always runs at 60fps, or at least tries to.

here's some comparisons done by Xie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaeSOCRccAs

It's impossible to say definitively if the game always does stable fps in either mode without trying basically every character interaction possible on every stage.

These kinds of comparisons are good if you're just curious in general, but for evaluating performance on the kind of case by case basis you'd need to do to ensure either mode is legitimately functional for tournaments, it's no good.

30fps mode? this doesn't exist. The game always runs at 60fps, or at least tries to.

here's some comparisons done by Xie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaeSOCRccAs

I was referencing this article

http://shoryuken.com/2014/12/03/change-your-settings-guilty-gear-xrd-sign-defaults-to-30-frames-per-second-on-playstation-3/

The article has been updated and proven to be false

It's like you guys aren't even trying anymore. It says it at the TOP of the article.

Well that's a good start.  I didn't bother to reread it, hence missed the update.  It's just where I originally heard it.  From what I've heard the stuttering if any usually happens before / after the match.. not during.  Also had a friend say he's seen stuttering when YRC'ing on complex stages (ex: axls) or when a lot of stuff is going on (ex: Faust Bomb Etc) in PS3's performance mode.

I gotta ask... who is this guy that originally posted the 30FPS thing that got everyone's panties in a bunch?  I've never heard of him, and as he made absolutely no mention of a testing method and didn't post any evidence, I'm really getting irritated that even SRK is going around posting "Xrd defaults to 30FPS BAD GAME".

The game runs at 60FPS.  To appeal to the non-tournament crowd, they have a setting that emphasizes the graphics over the framerate, since they wont even notice small frame drops when a lot of stuff is going on, and if they do notice they probably wont care.  That's the default because more people are going to play the game "for fun" than in tournament, so the fact that it defaults to "quality" and we have to change it ONE TIME and then save our settings is no big deal.

The last thing we need is an irresponsible news outlet copy/pasting that SRK article as news, because odds are that several other news outlets would get the news from them and re-post it without fact checking.

Seriously, if the game has some issue where it's not stable at 60FPS, someone will find it and we'll all be happy to know.  Just stop propagating this false 30FPS thing.

If I not mistaken, the quality mode is mainly for the story mode since it's just a movie and you want make sure the graphics are on point.

Well, you're completely mistaken. The graphics quality settings basically modifies the amount of particle effects and background elements that are rendered during fights, to make sure that the fps stays at a rock-solid 60fps on performance settings. I played all night on evo monitors last night, and there were no fps problems during gameplay whatsoever. We even switched to quality graphics at one point, and i didn't even notice any difference in performance.

I heard that most JPN players play on PS4 because of the PS3 issues. 

That sounds like a heap of bullshit since most japanese players don't even own a ps4

Well, you're completely mistaken. The graphics quality settings basically modifies the amount of particle effects and background elements that are rendered during fights, to make sure that the fps stays at a rock-solid 60fps on performance settings. I played all night on evo monitors last night, and there were no fps problems during gameplay whatsoever. We even switched to quality graphics at one point, and i didn't even notice any difference in performance.

That sounds like a heap of bullshit since most japanese players don't even own a ps4

Well then, I apologizes for my false statement.

PS3 framerate seems pretty consistent even on "quality" settings. There's very, very slight slowdown on some moves, but it's not enough to make a huge difference.

Still, once I get my external upscaler I'll see if the game runs better with the internal resolution set to 720p.

Uh... I just froze in Training mode.  I've been playing for a few hours, but I'm just throwing this out there in case anyone else gets freezes or crashes.

I-No (color 2) vs Sol (color 1) on Central Organ Tower with Elphelt's theme playing.  Experimenting with air combo stuff for the last 10 minutes, and I've been experimenting with general combo stuff for hours, so it's more likely to be time spent playing than what I was doing.  Still, I was smacking Sol in the crotch with j.H in case that's related somehow.  Settings are on performance, otherwise everything is defaulted.

Could be isolated, could be something.  Send me a PM if you get any info.  Basically, if there's a way to reproduce it we need to let ArcSys know so they can fix it.  If we can't reproduce it consistently then it doesn't matter so much unless we start seeing once-off crashes in VS mode, in which case ArcSys will be all over it as soon as we tell them even if there's no consistent method to repro the issue.

*Edited with the stage*

Doesn't this also happen in +R? I wonder why.

I had something similar happen WAY back in the first Midnight Carnival. Got to VS. CPU, pick Dizzy vs. I-no. Make them both Gold version. Round Start and use (close) 5S, then watch the game crash faster than a F1 race car with an exploded tire. I dunno if it was my copy of the game or simply the age (had it for 3 years) but that's what ended up happening when I played it.

It happens to me regularly on training mode on +R (PS3) I thought I was the only one but I found out that some people experience the same thing.

Maybe it's just a rare PS3 thing.

Little offtopic.

--

Maybe it's just a rare PS3 thing.

Not rare at all.

PS3's +R freezes frequently on vs mode. Happens to us here on multiple ps3 consoles.

Freezes happen.  If there's a consistent way to repro it, they can fix it.  Otherwise, it's just some thing that's annoying from time to time.  If it doesn't affect VS mode consistently, it wont be a problem.

+R specifically has an issue with 2 stages which frequently freeze or crash.  If you avoid them (the Slash version of AD2172 or whatever year it was, and some other stage that I forget) you probably wont crash at all.

I'd like to point out that I've been playing online on Japanese lobbies since yesterday (got the game December 4 here in the Philippines) and there's a lot of PS3 players. So I'd say they're fine with it.

So only one guy so far has talked about how, for example, Sol's Ground Viper causes blur on the screen? Anybody wanna share their experience/thoughts on tht?

Anything really bombastic like that seems to drop the render quality to avoid dropping frames, regardless of your processing setting.

I played over 6 hours of local vs on the ps3 yesterday with no noticable issue. Render mode was left on the "best graphics" mode as well. Without actual frame capture in training mode and framedata validating that there is or is not frame drop, this is a non issue. I doubt tournament standard will be ps4 until multi-PCBs have firmware updates for it. XRD plays very well on the PS3 and you shouldn't be dissuaded from rumor.