Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OrionXElite

Canopy Carnage! NorCal's First Skullgirls Tournament! GameCenter, San Mateo CA April 14th

Welcome to the Canopy Carnage, NorCal's first Skullgirls Tournament! Join us as we kick off Mike Z's new 2D fighter in style with NorCal's finest battling for the spotlight!

Information on Event:

-Host: OrionXElite(@OrionXElite on Twitter) TOs: Me(Orion) and WhiteBoyWilly

-Date: Saturday, April 14th, 2012

-Stream: Provided by Coopa(@VasedCoopa) and FinestKO(@FinestKO) on their Twitch channel found here: FinestKO Twitch Channel

-Location: GameCenter Arcade, 47 South B Street, San Mateo CA 94402 GameCenter Facebook Google Map

-Note About Location: There are 2 ways of Public Transit to get to GameCenter if necessary, BART and Caltrain. There is a Caltrain Station literally a block away from GameCenter and BART can take you to Caltrain which can take you to GameCenter. Please note to the Caltrain Weekday Schedule & Bart Website For information on Public Transit use.

-Parking: There is no parking lot for the Venue itself aside from a couple employee only spots so the easiest option is either going to be the Caltrain Station behind GameCenter or the Parking Garage around the corner from it. Both are open till very late at night so you won't need to worry about getting your car locked up or anything. Its $3 for all day at Caltrain and I believe $5 at the Garage. If you have any questions the day of the event, please consult the owner, Myung and he will help you.

-Venue fee: $7 This goes to the Arcade and grants you a wristband which lets you use any of the console cabs for freeplay from opening till closing. You MUST have a wristband to participate in the tournament. Please get your wristband BEFORE coming to register for the Tournament.

-Registration for Tourney: $3 This goes into the pot which is going to be the prize pool for the event. I'm only making it $3 because the game is new so I don't wanna make it more expensive when a lot of people are still getting adjusted and learning the game. You will come to me AFTER getting the wristband to register. (Side Note: If we get 40 people to show up, GameCenter owner Myung said he'd throw an extra $20 to the pot :3 )

Information/Rules for the Tournament:

Organization/Logistics:

-The Arcade itself will open at 11AM at which time you can feel free to pay your Venue fee and play some Casuals.

-Registration time will be open from 12Noon till 2PM. At 2PM, Registration is CLOSED, no exceptions so don't be late! I will then make the brackets and we will start the tournament promptly at 3PM.

-Once the Tournament starts, DO NOT USE THE TOURNEY CABS FOR CASUALS! I have already arranged it so that we have one cab JUST for Casuals during the event so PLEASE play casuals on that cab only. There will be 3 Tourney cabs plus the Stream setup so if everyone is present and efficient, you'll be able to play tons of casuals later that evening.

-As for Dinner Breaks, there are no set times at which people can go get food. If you wanna go get something you eat, DO IT AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION. Let a TO know you're leaving and we will delay your match as long as logically possible and then once we are close to running out of matches to run, you will be given a 5 Minute timer to come back for your match. If 5 Minutes is up and you're not here, you are DQ'ed, NO EXCEPTIONS. I'm gonna hold this with an iron fist so don't test me on it or you'll be mad. You are responsible for being present for your matches.

Match Rules for SkullGirls:

-Double Elimination Bracket

-Each Match is best 2/3 Games with Losers/Winners/Grand Finals being best 3/5 Games

-Winner of each Game is Team/Character Locked and Assist locked, Loser is free to switch Team/Characters/Assist in any fashion they choose.

-Each Game is best 2/3 Rounds, 99 Seconds and Stage Selection is up to the players. If one player doesn't like a stage, they can opt for a different stage. If either player uses a team of 2 or 3, the games then become a best of 1 round but it will still be best of 3 games for the whole match.

-After a Match is done, the WINNER of the match is to come to either of the TOs and report it to us. At that time, you will wait till you are called again. DO NOT just find your next match and play them without the TOs knowledge. This has caused problems in the past with people playing the wrong opponents so for the sake of making everything run smoothly, DO NOT DO IT.

-Pot Payout goes to the Top 3 placing players and the Payout is divided 70/20/10.

Match Rules for Soul Calibur 5:

-3/5 Rounds per Game with each match being best 2/3 Games.

-Winner's/Loser's/Grand Finals will be best 3/5 Matches

-Loser of a Game can Change Character/Stage

-No Custom Characters allowed

-Default Timer

-Pausing during the match means you forfeit that Game unless opponent lets it slide.

Other Information:

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. Here are a number of ways to contact me for info:

-My Personal Facebook: Facebook

-My Twitter Account: @OrionXElite

-My Dustloop Account: Dustloop Profile

-And of course, this thread is the easiest way to get questions out there. I will be adding in any other random info that is needed over time and will be checking it frequently so I'd suggest you start here and if you don't get anything, branch out to other mediums if necessary.

Last but not least, PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD AROUND! I want this to be have a big turnout so we can all have a great time learning the game together. Also I want everyone to enjoy themselves so don't be shy or get salty, if you lose, who cares? Play casuals and work off the salt and get to know everyone. Have some fun and play some Skullgirls! I'll see you all there :3

Same here, though I'm pretty much positive I can make it. I'll try bugging the San Jose carpool to see if they will all come lol.

Looks fantastic Orion, everything is pretty covered. I'll hopefully take you up on that offer of just being able to play for once :psyduck:.

I have a prior engagement earlier Saturday, but I should be able to get there at 2-3PM, granted Caltrain doesn't body me and I can get someone to spot me in advance. If not, I'll try to at the very least make the after-SG Tourney Casuals.

~Chun

IMPORTANT UPDATE: For those who are interested, NorCal's Soul Caliber 5 scene will be holding their bi-weekly ranbat at GC on the same as this event. Neither event will get in the way of one another in terms of running it and having appropriate amounts of equipment. Myung has an ample supply of setups(14 including the hallway TVs which the SCV gathering can use if needed), also their ranbat will not be starting till later in the day around 530-6 due to it being at their best convenience. So if you're interested in playing, please don't let one event take all your focus if you have a genuine interest in both. I will put up the general ruleset for their game in the First post soon.

I don't know the whole bracket but I think top 8 was:

1. Dacidbro

2. CopperDabbit

3. Blk_mage

4. Trix

5. OrionxElite

5. 2GB Combo

7. Tone

7. Shining Aquas

Hope that helps.

Also, shout outs to double's ass and drunk people.

Double-Cere Butt OP

In all seriousness I had a lot of fun being just a participant at an event for once without work, shoutouts to Orion and Myung holding down the fort as usual and the tons of matches where I scrubbed out with Valentine, I feel like I played a lot for once.

~Chun

Bracket: http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x468/OrionXElite/Skullgirls.gif

Results:

1: DacidBro

2: CopperDabbit

3: blk_mage

4: Trix

5: Orion

5: 2GB Combo

7: Shining Aquas

7: Tone

9: ShelledMenace

9: Solex

9: Sleazoid

9: GammeGearJustice

13: TooManyHotDicks

13: Romtha

13: Rust

13: Moogle Parade

17: Reapin

17: Vin L

17: Picauchiha

17: Kide

17: Chun

17: Ken C

17: Michelle

Oh shit thats right. My fucking laptop died before I got home and it didn't save anything except for the beginning of the bracket so I had to redo the whole thing from memory. I know top 8 is right, but I forgot about that last change:v:

EDIT: I went through it again and switched 2GB and Blk_Mage in the beginning of the bracket like I had originally did and it didn't change of the placings since I believe they won and lost in the same places regardless of where they were.

So heres the link to the revised bracket. Literally the only difference is that 2GB and blk_mage have switched places. The standings of everyone stayed exactly the same.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x468/OrionXElite/Skullgirlsrevised.gif

Hey all,

Given the relative success of the last one, would people like to turn it into a monthly? With NCI, that would make SG meetups bi-weekly. I would also be encouraging of having BB at these meetups too. NorCal has a very strong scene for both those games, and we shouldn't let that atrophy. :) What say you?